• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 611 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cowboys:
-Quin staying is big.
-Dak getting mentally adjusted is imperative (will Moore be there to help?)
-There is some 'fan' buzz that Zeke isn't good anymore. 900 yards and 12 TDs (plus 3rd and short conventions) is big especially when he is sharing time with a guy who went over 1,000 yards (can 20 do that without 21? 1900 yards out the backfield is huge!). His biggest issue is that he is too expensive. If he was $10 Mil a year it would be better. IMO, DAL should stick with 20 and 21.
-Will/can they keep Leighton Vander Esch, Dalton Schultz, a couple other important players?

Bob's Big Boy Roquefort dressing for carrot and celery sticks..plain potato chips and French onion dressing.. Rare roast beef with provolone.. Lettuce, tomato on a fresh baguette, with a thousand island smear..drinks. I will not be missing a minute of any game.. I think it would be extreme to use a bucket so I will take bathroom breaks..
Really really am hoping for surprises

Zeke is saying he wants to stay with the team, and is willing to do a team-friendly contract restructure to make it happen. Jerry has always liked him, so I imagine this will happen. But he's definitely going to become their 2nd back.

John Schneider is I'd say 100% certain to make Geno Smith the Seattle QB. Be that a long contract, or franchise him. Considering he made $3.5m this year, even a franchise would have to tag him over $30m. And that money would be 100% guaranteed.

Gregg Rosenthal, NFL writer has been perfect in all his playoff picks so far. He is taking the Eagles and Bengals this weekend. If pushed now, I'll agree. I'm fairly confident the Eagles can stop SF, just enough to win. The one thing SF has to me is they are more battle tested, but the Eagles are across the board deep with talent. More than Dallas, for example. More than anyone SF, and Purdy have played. The Bengals-Chiefs I will pick Cincinnati. But Mahomes is capable of beating anyone, so I just can't write the Chiefs off.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
...I will not be missing a minute of any game.. I think it would be extreme to use a bucket so I will take bathroom breaks...
You need one of these.

And one of these.
1a864bff-0892-4146-9d9e-f4cc9eb79625

You'll be all set!

:sweatsmile:

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
Zeke is saying he wants to stay with the team, and is willing to do a team-friendly contract restructure to make it happen. Jerry has always liked him, so I imagine this will happen. But he's definitely going to become their 2nd back.

John Schneider is I'd say 100% certain to make Geno Smith the Seattle QB. Be that a long contract, or franchise him. Considering he made $3.5m this year, even a franchise would have to tag him over $30m. And that money would be 100% guaranteed.

Gregg Rosenthal, NFL writer has been perfect in all his playoff picks so far. He is taking the Eagles and Bengals this weekend. If pushed now, I'll agree. I'm fairly confident the Eagles can stop SF, just enough to win. The one thing SF has to me is they are more battle tested, but the Eagles are across the board deep with talent. More than Dallas, for example. More than anyone SF, and Purdy have played. The Bengals-Chiefs I will pick Cincinnati. But Mahomes is capable of beating anyone, so I just can't write the Chiefs off.
EE is their second back already, but he and TP are a great combo no matter who is on the field for the first snap.

Geno should get paid, and like you said, even a FT would 10X his pay. If SEA does a contract with him, they should make it a three year deal.

Tipping the 49ers and Bengals. Bengals had a taste last year and I think they are a better team now.Tthe 49ers didn't have CMC last year, their O line has improved, they are healthier than last playoffs and have had plenty of experience getting to their third NFC title game in four years. I don't see Purdy folding at this stage and if anything Purdy has had as much playoff experience now as Hurts. Think the keys to the game are the Eagles run defense and the 49ers protection of Purdy. Both teams have plenty of playmakers and the 49ers know that they can't contain Hurts completely. Looking forward to both games.

Think Geno will get a solid mid tier contract for a QB. Possibly around 30 mill. Zeke will probably restructure and stay at the Cowboys. Interesting that the Cowboys got rid of 6 assistant coaches, some with long term history with McCarthy which makes me think that Kellen Moore as the current O/C is no sure thing to be retained. Two playoffs in a row now the Cowboys offense has looked like pretty bland and ineffective especially in the second half. Quinn staying can only be good for the defense.

I don't see Purdy folding at this stage and if anything Purdy has had as much playoff experience now as Hurts.
That's a very good point no one is bringing up. In fact, Purdy has faced more pressure games, and situations than Hurts at this point. Why aren't "experts" questioning how well Hurts will hold up in such an important game?

Bengals will have the same OL as in the divisional game. No Cappa or Williams. But Karras did have a full practice at least. Chiefs have Mahomes as full practice, ready to play, not even "probable", so I think it's safe to say his ankle isn't as bad as some feared and he'll basically be 100%. They however have Kelce as "Questionable". Right. The game will be mostly sunny, but cold at 22 degrees. Light winds.

Both SF and Philly are basically at full strength, with only a few players getting extra rest, including Samuel, Mitchell and McCaffery. Though McCaffery said there's no chance he'll miss the game Sunday and everything is normal. Jimmy Garappolo did not practice. But was with the team at practice. I can't tell if that means he's suiting up on Sunday, or what? Game weather will be much more like SF than Pennsylvania. 50 degrees, breezy.

The Cowboys could revamp the entire team, but as long as Jerry Jones owns them, they won't win another Super Bowl. Not only has it been like 25 years, when the Cowboys won their last one Jerry said he made a deal with God to get that ring. Looks like the devil is still collecting his due judging by this season (and last, and...)

That's a very good point no one is bringing up. In fact, Purdy has faced more pressure games, and situations than Hurts at this point. Why aren't "experts" questioning how well Hurts will hold up in such an important game?

Bengals will have the same OL as in the divisional game. No Cappa or Williams. But Karras did have a full practice at least. Chiefs have Mahomes as full practice, ready to play, not even "probable", so I think it's safe to say his ankle isn't as bad as some feared and he'll basically be 100%. They however have Kelce as "Questionable". Right. The game will be mostly sunny, but cold at 22 degrees. Light winds.

Both SF and Philly are basically at full strength, with only a few players getting extra rest, including Samuel, Mitchell and McCaffery. Though McCaffery said there's no chance he'll miss the game Sunday and everything is normal. Jimmy Garappolo did not practice. But was with the team at practice. I can't tell if that means he's suiting up on Sunday, or what? Game weather will be much more like SF than Pennsylvania. 50 degrees, breezy.

The Cowboys could revamp the entire team, but as long as Jerry Jones owns them, they won't win another Super Bowl. Not only has it been like 25 years, when the Cowboys won their last one Jerry said he made a deal with God to get that ring. Looks like the devil is still collecting his due judging by this season (and last, and...)
Mitchell hasn't practiced all week. Groin injuries are never easy to cope with. The constant injuries will probably cost Mitchell an extension especially now with CMC, and the two rookies who are improving. Expect to see the rookie Jordan Mason out there who has played some good games this season. Bigger than Mitchell but not as fast. And of course there is also Deebo and Juice the FB they can use.

Its kind of cool that Purdy and Hurts played against each other in college (not that it means anything to tomorrows game). I actually watched that game, but completely forgot! :eek:

Expect to see the rookie Jordan Mason out there who has played some good games this season. Bigger than Mitchell but not as fast. And of course there is also Deebo and Juice the FB they can use.
This is an interesting point, as I am guessing the 49ers feel they can possibly run the ball consistently. Hence, having a few different RBs could open up different possibilities for the team. If they can get any kind of run game going, it could actually mean the game late.

Mahomes looked completely normal throwing the ball in practice on Friday. Granted, he wasn't making hard cuts with 280lb linemen coming at him, but I'm suspecting as Nomad(?) did, that after they tape him up, maybe give him some sort of shot, he'll basically be 100%. So I'm expecting the same offense. Same everything. So that's good news.

One other issue the Cowboys have is that Pollard is going to be a free agent. So, are they going to pay both he, and Zeke $10-15m a year? Like so many other teams, they have sunk a lot of money into "star" players, which usually turns into a slow rot, as they can't keep good position players, linemen, LBs, etc.

The whole Steve Wilkes about to sue the Panthers is going to be a mess. I don't know if he'll succeed if he does. By the numbers Reich is as good, if not better coach than he was. And Reich was being coveted by other teams when Carolina made him a big offer. Having Reich's daughter already on staff sounds more strange than anything, except she applied for the job she got back in November, before Indy fired her dad. The irony is Wilkes stern style may be what Arizona needs. The team that fired him after one awful season, with Josh Rosen at QB.

A bigger mistake will be if Indy makes Jeff Saturday their HC. One fortunate win against an inept Raiders team with a terrible late int thrown by Carr. They also played well against Philly, but also blew two games badly, including blowing the biggest lead in NFL history. Since, like Carolina, they need a QB, maybe they should have just kept Frank Reich? I am not going to look it up, but I don't think Frank had a QB who played more than one full season under him. Andrew Luck maybe, but he was so hurt, it didn't matter at that point.

This is an interesting point, as I am guessing the 49ers feel they can possibly run the ball consistently. Hence, having a few different RBs could open up different possibilities for the team. If they can get any kind of run game going, it could actually mean the game late.

Mahomes looked completely normal throwing the ball in practice on Friday. Granted, he wasn't making hard cuts with 280lb linemen coming at him, but I'm suspecting as Nomad(?) did, that after they tape him up, maybe give him some sort of shot, he'll basically be 100%. So I'm expecting the same offense. Same everything. So that's good news.

One other issue the Cowboys have is that Pollard is going to be a free agent. So, are they going to pay both he, and Zeke $10-15m a year? Like so many other teams, they have sunk a lot of money into "star" players, which usually turns into a slow rot, as they can't keep good position players, linemen, LBs, etc.

The whole Steve Wilkes about to sue the Panthers is going to be a mess. I don't know if he'll succeed if he does. By the numbers Reich is as good, if not better coach than he was. And Reich was being coveted by other teams when Carolina made him a big offer. Having Reich's daughter already on staff sounds more strange than anything, except she applied for the job she got back in November, before Indy fired her dad. The irony is Wilkes stern style may be what Arizona needs. The team that fired him after one awful season, with Josh Rosen at QB.

A bigger mistake will be if Indy makes Jeff Saturday their HC. One fortunate win against an inept Raiders team with a terrible late int thrown by Carr. They also played well against Philly, but also blew two games badly, including blowing the biggest lead in NFL history. Since, like Carolina, they need a QB, maybe they should have just kept Frank Reich? I am not going to look it up, but I don't think Frank had a QB who played more than one full season under him. Andrew Luck maybe, but he was so hurt, it didn't matter at that point.
No way the Cowboys don't pay Pollard. They generally pay all their stars. Zeke will only be back on a team friendly deal while they might move on some more aging defenders and try and replace some of those in the draft.

Mahomes is a danger even if he can't run properly but it sounds like he is pretty good to go and the Bengals are having more O line issues it seems with injuries. Bengals will need another big game from Mixon. They definitely have a better run game than the Bills while the Chiefs have a couple of more than decent RBs. McKinnon is playing his best football for years after struggling with injuries at the 49ers. Be surprised if Saturday was retained at the Colts even though he was dropped in the deep end !

If the 49ers have trouble running the ball especially in the second half, they will struggle unless Purdy plays out of his skin. The latest Mitchell injury is bad timing as he has looked good since he came back. Be interesting to see how much the 49ers use Mason and they could also call up the veteran Coleman which is probably unlikely.

Last edited:

Yes, they need to pay TP about $10 MIL. EE is due about $15 MIL, but we'll see how creative they get with that.

'Slow rot' exactly, and even sometimes it becomes rapid rot.

IMO, Saturday has as much chance of being successful as many of the other people applying/being considered for HC jobs. What he did in the fill in roll has noting to do with what he could do with the team moving forward.

Cowboys:
-Quin staying is big.
-Dak getting mentally adjusted is imperative (will Moore be there to help?)
-There is some 'fan' buzz that Zeke isn't good anymore. 900 yards and 12 TDs (plus 3rd and short conventions) is big especially when he is sharing time with a guy who went over 1,000 yards (can 20 do that without 21? 1900 yards out the backfield is huge!). His biggest issue is that he is too expensive. If he was $10 Mil a year it would be better. IMO, DAL should stick with 20 and 21.
-Will/can they keep Leighton Vander Esch, Dalton Schultz, a couple other important players?
Quinn staying is big. That, until Seattle responds to Pete's retirement and he comes home where he helped win a SB. They can pay and spare alot of drama.
Dak getting mentally adjusted happens as often/consitently as Garapolo is totally chill in the pocket and zings his passes. Sometimes and not always.
You're right and his best contributions may have been wasted.

A few final things to watch for:

SF hasn't faced a QB who can run like Hurts can all year. Presuming Hurts is healthy enough to run more than he tried last week.

I mentioned SF was battle tested. I had to look close at Philadelphia's schedule to find out when they were last put in a tough situation. I had a hard time finding it. What will happen if the game is close, late, and both teams are able to put up some points, 20 or more?

I don't like how confident the Bengals are (maybe). The talk about playing in "Burrowhead" for example. The Chiefs are in a better position than they are. As I said, I'm not worried about Mahomes ankle at all, first after seeing him walk on it, then seeing him throw in practice. Also knowing Mahomes is superb from the pocket anyway! But The Bengals have a better red zone offense, and defense. So a key may be who can score a higher TD to FG ratio.

Quinn staying is big. That, until Seattle responds to Pete's retirement and he comes home where he helped win a SB. They can pay and spare alot of drama.
I can definitely see this in the works now. It's going to be a while until Jody Allen relinquishes control over the Seahawks. She has basically made very few questionable decisions about Paul's estate, while slowly following the wishes in his trust. The Seahawks are one of the biggest in-tact pieces of his trust, and a sale will take years to happen. There's also a chance she could remain a minority owner, or retain a title as president for a year or two after a sale happens, a few years from now. I bring this up to mean there could be discussions right now about Dan Quinn returning to Seattle in 2024, or 2025. And I'm sure Jody will be at least in control of the team through then. Let's keep in mind, that makes her the second richest owner in the NFL, behind only the Walton-Penner group in Denver. Money isn't an issue here. Seattle is also one of the best run organizations in the league. Jody isn't the meddling type like many others. I seem to only remember one comment from her, saying in the last off season she didn't think this would be a rebuild season. Or John Schneider said that, and she was quoted as expecting the same. That's about it. You Seattle fans may know more, but like Paul, she pretty much keeps to herself, waves to fans, that's about it.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Chiefs with a good win with Mahome injured. Refs were on Chiefs side the whole night but that shove out of bounds was a 100% call every time. Reid vs his old team and a brothers Super Bowl!
No more or less of a personal foul than the RTP that was missed against Burrow minutes earlier. Intentional or not the refs put their thumb on the scale in this one and it made the difference.

The injury also had little impact on proceedings. Certainly not any more than the entire Bengals OL being second stringers.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
And unfortunate secondary penalties to make it easier for Philly. Resembles the 2nd half of Seattle-SF. Greenlaw punching the ball after the whistle says it all.
Can always count on on Greenlaw for at least one bonehead penalty. The penalty count for the 49ers was awful. Hufanga also committed a stupid penalty on the sideline.

Last edited:
I'm having to search pretty deep in my memory to recall a game where the outcome wasn't as altered by the officiating as this one. Bad calls happen almost every game, and that last UR on Ossai penalty was valid. But the Bengals got the short end of the stick. There are past games where one very costly bad call or no-call changes the game (Rams-Saints 2019 NFC championship). But to have several questionable calls go against one team, usually at the worst possible time? That was just bad. Like Super Bowl XL bad. This is going to be talked about and discussed for some time (unless you're from KC, or a Chiefs fan).

First game was just about over when Purdy was hurt. Completely over when Jefferson was hurt. But the Eagles did play a steady game to win. And the 49ers didn't.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS