• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 613 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The chances of Jimmy returning now have taken a leap unless the 49ers damn the torpedoes and go full on Lance who has had three injuries in four games...
I had not realized that was true, but you are right! Wow! And he's a dual-threat (eg. running) QB, which historically has a short lifespan in the NFL.

The 49ers could put all their eggs in the Tom Brady basket! You know before the window closes. :sweatsmile:

I agree that Kellen Moore going to the Chargers is a win-win. I think he's going to be under less pressure there, though Dean Spanos isn't without his flaws. Apparently Mike McCarthy wanted to keep Moore, so who knows what happened. I'm guessing Dak didn't want him, or Kellen wanted to go a different direction than two RBs, or just not be on a team where Jerry Jones is both owner, and GM. Who knows?

I had not realized that was true, but you are right! Wow! And he's a dual-threat (eg. running) QB, which historically has a short lifespan in the NFL.

The 49ers could put all their eggs in the Tom Brady basket! You know before the window closes. :sweatsmile:

I agree that Kellen Moore going to the Chargers is a win-win. I think he's going to be under less pressure there, though Dean Spanos isn't without his flaws. Apparently Mike McCarthy wanted to keep Moore, so who knows what happened. I'm guessing Dak didn't want him, or Kellen wanted to go a different direction than two RBs, or just not be on a team where Jerry Jones is both owner, and GM. Who knows?
I think 2020 was the perfect time to take Brady after Jimmy couldn't get it done in the SB. but Jimmy had a healthy season in 2019 and after going to the SB maybe Kyle thought Jimmy was capable of running it back and actually winning and they did have a 10 point lead with 7 minutes to go before the wheels fell off and Mahomes showed how deadly he can be when you let the Chiefs hang around instead of finishing them off and if Jimmy's downfield throw had hit Sanders the game certainly would have been over. A lot of people didn't understand why the 49ers didn't take Brady but not so long later went into draft to pick up a project QB in Lance for a ton of picks ! Lynch and Kyle infornally met with Brady as far as I know. obviously money wasn't the issue. i think it might have been more about personalities. Kyle likes to have an iron grip on the offense and decision making and I don't think Brady would have been given the leeway other coaches give him which probably says more about Shanahan than Brady when you can't defer to the Goat to ad lib a play not often anyway.. He did the same with Jimmy and Purdy although he noticeably gave Jimmy his head more often this season and obviously did with Purdy once he knew he could make certain throws while with Lance the offense was much more conservative cause he hadn't trusted him enough yet.

One thing Lance really has to start doing is to slide, he was taking too many hits as Kyle and even Lance admitted. And his injury came on a scripted run play where he didn't attempt to slide but decided to attempt more of an Allen run and take on the defense front on which of course went pear shaped but both he and Jimmy were unlucky in that both injuries didn't come from the contact but from the defenders landing on their ankles after the tackle was made and their legs were caught up underneath. Jimmy had time to dump the ball but risked extending the play. Same thing happened with his ACL injury, instead of stepping over the sideline he tried for more yards and he was never much of a runner. Just bad decision making which a lot of fans bash Shanahan for instead of the player.From the way Brady was talking before playing the 49ers a few months ago, it seems that ship has sailed and he sounded a little regretful that it didn't happen. 49ers fans don't give a damn about the window ! They are starving for another SB win similar to the Cowboys fans. Not sure what the Bills fans are thinking............

Last edited:

There is some local buz, but obviously its all likely just that, buz. But...KM didn't feel that he could work with Dak because Dak rarely went with the plays called/scheme (something that I have been saying/assuming since Dak's rook debut).

Whoes window will close first TB12 or SF? :D

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
...Jimmy [and SF] did have a 10 point lead with 7 minutes to go before the wheels fell off and Mahomes showed how deadly he can be when you let the Chiefs hang around instead of finishing them off and if Jimmy's downfield throw had hit Sanders the game certainly would have been over.
I seem to recall there were even more "if's" in that game, but that is a very good post. SF did get conservative late, including not taking any risks passing late, taking the ball out of Jimmy's hands in a sense, while foolishly hoping the defense could stop Mahomes. KC was the better team that game, without question, at least as I recall it.
One thing Lance really has to start doing is to slide, he was taking too many hits as Kyle and even Lance admitted.
He's barely played, and they drafted him to be a dual-threat QB!!! If he can't make plays with his legs, which will inevitably involved designed runs, and get hit at least some, I don't know what kind of career he will have. I can't see him turning into a Mahomes or Allen type passer, who runs some. That would take a near total re-tooling of how he's always played. Then again, how much football has he actually played? One year in college, and a few pro games. Other than that, high school.
49ers fans don't give a damn about the window ! They are starving for another SB win similar to the Cowboys fans. Not sure what the Bills fans are thinking.
They can get in the soup line with everyone else who is hungry. Talked to any Lions fans for example?

Rich Eisen had a segment on his show about all the people about to come out saying the Eagles never beat anyone good this year, had a fairly easy schedule, weren't battle tested, haven't faced an offense like KC, or a QB like Mahomes, Eagles defense isn't that good and got lucky SF had no QB, game will be in good weather, and the Eagles are much better at home, and so on.

We are clearly talking about a different play.
TK ran past the DB, they barely touch each other as the DB came into him as TK slowed, neither arm pushes off, and one is even next to his side just before he steps right to jump and catch the ball. The DB doesn't even move back/away, he just keeps going in the direction that he was running due to his own momentum. The separation comes from TK taking a step to the right before jumping to catch the ball.
We’re just seeing things differently on the play.

Or, PM throws one up, and MVS or TK catches a game winning TD...
I see this happening too the way the game was going, if not getting closer to field goal range and Butker making it.

Reactions: jmdirt
Looks like New Orleans hit it big. They are getting Denver's 2023 first-round pick (No. 29 overall) and their 2024 second-round pick. Oh, and out of Sean Payton's contract. Yes, this apparently means Denver has hired Payton to be their HC.

I think of this as a win for NO. They already have a pretty good team, especially on defense, in 2022 they had a lot of cap money problems, but their future looks good in about 2024 and beyond regarding cap, and dead money (or lack of). Plus, getting these draft picks. Saints need to stay the course, and find a QB they can develop, and a they could be a powerhouse in the NFC south for some years.

Payton meanwhile has a total mess on his hands. I'm sure the Broncos are giving him the keys, and at least $20m a year, fully guaranteed. Most coaches contracts aren't public, but its estimated Belicheck makes this much, and I'm certain Sean demanded at least that, and the Walton-Penner group have plenty of money to pay it. This also relieves George Paton from any player personnel decisions.

Now, let's also not forget that for all of "Sean Payton's wins", he had a stellar MVP, HOF quarterback named Drew Brees on his team, and Brees was like having an OC in the huddle, right on the field, every play. This cannot be underemphasized.

I like Sean, and wish him well. But if I were a Broncos fan I wouldn't be that excited. Maybe for post 2025 or so. Late in Sean's contract. Maybe.

Wait, so Sean Payton leaves with rumors that he didn’t want to deal with all the cap mess post Brees and the qb situation to go to Denver? I mean, Denver has to hope Payton can bring a spark to their offense and Wilson shows up that this year was a fluke. I agree that Saints should be fighting for the division with Panthers in the next years. I also agree about Brees and Payton, they had a great relationship but I feel it’s silly to applaud him as a head coach but throw a damper on Mike McCarthy. Like I’ve said before those two and Mike Tomlin are basically in the same boat with all three having hall of fame quarterbacks and won a Super Bowl, only Tomlin never had a losing season, went to two Super Bowls, and is a defensive minded coach vs the formers offensive minds respectfully. While also not knocking Payton, he got the benefit of being an offensive mind while playing in much favorable conditions for passing and an offense vs Packers and Steelers in the cold the majority of their games.

Here’s the win stats and end of season rankings average of each coach in offensive and defensive points and yards, guess who is who:
Coach #1
Regular season:163–93–2 (.636)
Postseason:8–9 (.471)
Career:171–102–2 (.625)
Career
Off Pts 14.7
Off Yds 14.5
Def Pts 8.7
Def Yds 8.2
Post HOF qb
Off Pts 26.5
Off Yds 26.5
Def Pts 7.5
Def Yds 9

Coach #2
Regular season:155–97–2 (.614)
Postseason:11–10 (.524)
Career:166–107–2 (.607)
Career
Off Pts 8.4
Off Yds 9.6
Def Pts 15.6
Def Yds 16.5
Post HOF qb
Off Pts 7.3
Off Yds 8.7
Def Pts 13.3
Def Yds 18

Coach #3
Regular season:152–89 (.631)
Postseason:9–8 (.529)
Career:161–97 (.624)
Career
Off Pts 6.3
Off Yds 5.4
Def Pts 16.3
Def Yds 17.3
Post HOF qb
Off Pts 19
Off Yds 28
Def Pts 4
Def Yds 7

For comparison, another Super Bowl winning head coach who just got his hall of famer within the last 5 years
Coach #4
Regular season:246–138–1 (.640)
Postseason:21–16 (.568)
Career:267–154–1 (.634)

#1 Tomlin, #2 McCarthy, #3 Payton, #4 Reid.

I seem to recall there were even more "if's" in that game, but that is a very good post. SF did get conservative late, including not taking any risks passing late, taking the ball out of Jimmy's hands in a sense, while foolishly hoping the defense could stop Mahomes. KC was the better team that game, without question, at least as I recall it.

He's barely played, and they drafted him to be a dual-threat QB!!! If he can't make plays with his legs, which will inevitably involved designed runs, and get hit at least some, I don't know what kind of career he will have. I can't see him turning into a Mahomes or Allen type passer, who runs some. That would take a near total re-tooling of how he's always played. Then again, how much football has he actually played? One year in college, and a few pro games. Other than that, high school.

They can get in the soup line with everyone else who is hungry. Talked to any Lions fans for example?

Rich Eisen had a segment on his show about all the people about to come out saying the Eagles never beat anyone good this year, had a fairly easy schedule, weren't battle tested, haven't faced an offense like KC, or a QB like Mahomes, Eagles defense isn't that good and got lucky SF had no QB, game will be in good weather, and the Eagles are much better at home, and so on.
My recollection of that SB was that the 49ers did a good job on Mahomes throughout until the final 7 or so when he started to scramble and the 49ers couldn't get a first down. Jimmy outplayed him in the first two thirds of the game. 49ers had the SB in their lap and let is slip which I'm sure was a total disappointment for the coach after he had to also endure that Falcons SB nightmare. I also think that was when he also decided to run it back with Jimmy because they got close when the more daring option would have been to sign Brady for two seasons but Jimmy had a healthy season and Kyle seemed to trust him at that stage. Think he still does up to a point but I think next season, he will run with Lance and hold onto Purdy and look to sign a good veteran back up while Purdy is recovering which Means the 49ers fans have to start again and hope Lance can do a Purdy which I don't believe in at this stage. Rodgers and Lamar will be too expensive and Brady probably won't happen now. Think there is more chance he goes to a team like LV, or Miami if Tua has to retire. Both teams have plenty of offensive weapons. Jimmy will pick up at least a back up job somewhere re Miami, Rams, Colts, Jets etc......

Eisen watched a different game to me. While not being unbeatable I think that Eagles defense is real although the 49ers execution of the Purdy play was flubbed causing the elbow injury unfortunately and poor Johnson was a deer in the headlights after that. Good reasons that he he only ever started 6 games or so. Kyle only kept him for his his expertise of the scheme but that risk was poorly calculated as well because he was clearly inadequate and he's always been basically a practice squad QB not a somewhat reliable back up re Mullens or Gabbert etc.......

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt

HOU needs work. I hope that they give Ryans at least three years to build.

On the same day that he did it last year too!! Hopefully he doesn’t change his mind again. The way this season played out, I think it’d have been better for him to stay retired the first time then comeback to his first losing season with everything down but yards. Though we have hindsight for us in that regard as I and I’m sure many others didn’t expect that of this season for the TBs, just like I had said Cav should retire before 2021 season and joining Quickstep, how wrong was I than. And Brady has always said he will keep playing until he knows he sucks.
But good for him, he said his goal was to play until he was 45 and accomplished that. No matter how the season turned out. Who knows what happened with the divorce and maybe that was heading in that direction and he didn’t know what to do besides returning to the thing that he loves to do. Now he can rest, hangout with his family, and start his Fox post career. As of now he’s the GOAT, with only Mahomes looking to catch him depending on how his career turns out.

Last edited:
Maybe Brady doesn't want to blow it with his new GF & this time retire for good. Lol

In all seriousness, what's there for him to accomplish & risk a serious injury if he continues to play? He's at that level of greatness where expectations are so high that if he doesn't play in the SB every year, it's considered a failed season & fans start asking what's wrong with him.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
If the 49ers can grab Wilkes, that would be a huge coup.

Brock Purdy will need Tommy John. Meaning it's 99% likely he will miss all of 2023 season. This really puts SF in a conundrum. I'm sure they are going to roll the dice with Lance, but that guy hasn't shown he can be healthy. Do the keep Garappolo? To be a back-up? It's Deja Vu all over again!

Eisen watched a different game to me.
I think Rich was being a little honest, but also sarcastic. He seemed to honestly think the Eagles probably do have a bit of a bloated record, got a little bit lucky against the 49ers, and aren't likely to beat the Chiefs, but certainly could. But the chorus of doubt about them is far more amplified in the sports world than anything he could come up with, which he finds ridiculous.
The stage is set for next season: With the 250 million QB & the great Sean Payton, anything less than a playoff appearance will be a failure. It's now or never for Wilson & the Broncos.
I think you are right, at least from the owner's perspective. I haven't seen the details, but I'd be shocked if they not only are paying Sean over $20m a year guaranteed, but also gave him full control over all decisions, expecting results. Most of us are pretty skeptical that success will happen, but that's a hell of a lot of money (both Russ, and I'm sure Sean), and Greg Penner talked like he and the entire ownership group were not interested in just winning a few games.

Like I said, the problem seems to be Wilson. Slower than he was, doesn't want to get hit, losing a bit of arm strength. Plus, being short, can't see over the line. His huge ego also probably caught up to him, and there's probably some truth to all the Ciara distractions thing. Not sure Sean Payton can "fix" this. But he has to better than Hackett. If not, Sean will at least have the balls to cut Wilson after the 2023 season. I would think.
...like I had said Cav should retire before 2021 season and joining Quickstep, how wrong was I than.
You don't think Cav isn't eating a lot of hot sauce, do you? Really? Maybe best discussed in a cyclng forum or something. :innocent:

If the 49ers can grab Wilkes, that would be a huge coup.

Brock Purdy will need Tommy John. Meaning it's 99% likely he will miss all of 2023 season. This really puts SF in a conundrum. I'm sure they are going to roll the dice with Lance, but that guy hasn't shown he can be healthy. Do the keep Garappolo? To be a back-up? It's Deja Vu all over again!

I think Rich was being a little honest, but also sarcastic. He seemed to honestly think the Eagles probably do have a bit of a bloated record, got a little bit lucky against the 49ers, and aren't likely to beat the Chiefs, but certainly could. But the chorus of doubt about them is far more amplified in the sports world than anything he could come up with, which he finds ridiculous.

I think you are right, at least from the owner's perspective. I haven't seen the details, but I'd be shocked if they not only are paying Sean over $20m a year guaranteed, but also gave him full control over all decisions, expecting results. Most of us are pretty skeptical that success will happen, but that's a hell of a lot of money (both Russ, and I'm sure Sean), and Greg Penner talked like he and the entire ownership group were not interested in just winning a few games.

Like I said, the problem seems to be Wilson. Slower than he was, doesn't want to get hit, losing a bit of arm strength. Plus, being short, can't see over the line. His huge ego also probably caught up to him, and there's probably some truth to all the Ciara distractions thing. Not sure Sean Payton can "fix" this. But he has to better than Hackett. If not, Sean will at least have the balls to cut Wilson after the 2023 season. I would think.

You don't think Cav isn't eating a lot of hot sauce, do you? Really? Maybe best discussed in a cyclng forum or something. :innocent:
One ting that crossed my mind before DEN buying SP is that maybe Russ just had a bad year (for many reasons) and will have a good 2023. Now though, if he does have a good year, everyone will be giving credit to SP.

In the US we had Alexi Grewal , close to down and out..
and some race result told him you still got it..fizzled before it got started
Tom Boonen maybe using too much Peruvian marching powder tossed out that he may want to explore racing again. Lots of examples of thinking that father time isn't a thing.
Brady should step away and spend time with his kids. Most of his records are out of reach, almost no possibility that he will need to comment or be asked to attend a game where someone breaks his title in something about football. Go out and stay out as the GOAT.
Watching Chad Henne step in, produce, and then go back to the bench, comfortably, understanding his role, and seeing the post game compliments about being a professional was fantastic. Brady could play another 5 years if he wanted to be a backup!! Just kidding.. Glad he did the right thing.

Sean Payton...Mike McCarthy. Like I’ve said before those two and Mike Tomlin are basically in the same boat with all three having hall of fame quarterbacks and won a Super Bowl...
Ben Roethlesberger is a HOF quarterback? If he is, then Jim Plunkett gets in. Ben played some very clutch games, but also had several games that fell short, he was tough, but injury prone, improvised to the point of pocket collapse risks. That's hard to coach. He was also on several teams with superb defenses. But one thing is certain, Ben is not on the level of Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees. I refuse to believe that.
Now there’s lots of talk/rumors of Evans and Godwin getting traded than the players that Brady brought in getting released…
Tampa has real cap concerns. Not having to pay Brady helps, but they lose a QB in the process (and if they pay for Carr? That's a net $ loss).
One thing that crossed my mind before DEN buying SP is that maybe Russ just had a bad year (for many reasons) and will have a good 2023. Now though, if he does have a good year, everyone will be giving credit to SP.
My belief is that Sean can't do worse than Hackett. Both with Russ, and especially overall. I think he can mitigate some of Wilson's regression, but only to a limit. I think Russ has lost a step in speed, he doesn't want to get hit anymore, he seems to have lost a little arm strength, not major, but a little. So Sean is going to have to scheme around Wilson's regression, which can certainly do better than Hackett. Look out if Sean tries to hire Darell Bevell to be the Bronco's OC.

Another thing is that without question, without hesitation, Payton will be in charge of the entire Denver football team. Period. Wilson will only get what leeway Sean gives him. At times it seemed like Russ was in charge this year, early on at least. That will not happen at all this season. No way. Sean has never been an iron fist kind of coach, but he is fairly no-nonsense, and his ass is on the line here. As Nomad pointed out: He wasn't hired to re-build the team so they can win in 2027. He's expected to at least somewhat fix Russ and make them a serious contender, especially with that defense, plus prep the team to transition into a winning future, with a worse case scenario like what he did when Teddy Bridgwater was the NO quarterback - he wasn't Brees, but they didn't suck either.

Again, there is no way they are as bad as they were with Hackett. No way. But I think he has a hell of a lot of work to do, and Wilson isn't the answer, just a part to find a fit for.

Big Ben is going to take on a whole new meaning I would guess.. Guy was in a constant wrestling match with playing weight and mobility issues. I have broken 2 leg bones, fingers,foot,collar bone right 3 times, left once and never had anyone 250,300 pounds slam into me, toss me to the ground with all their might!! Big Ben maybe going to the hall of fame but probably because he beats Joey Chestnut at Coney Island dog destroying contest..
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g7slnYiPC_I

• Haha
I thought Ben lost weight in his last NFL season, and was on some sort of TB12 diet, or "no junk" diet, to keep his weight down? Someone had a pic of him in retirement and he looked like he went from about 240 (really 265) in about 2019, to about 225. No?! Not going to bother looking it up.

I do remember when that player on I think the Bengals said Ben was a 300lb lineman who could throw a football. :dizzy:

• Haha
Denver gave up the farm to get Russell Wilson and now they've given up another farm to fix him. Even if he did get fixed it's not going to matter much, they have no resources to work with for at least a couple of seasons
Hopefully Denver don't end up with a lot of fallow farm land not that the owners can't afford it but still you are not investing for failure. I had a feeling that Payton would chase the money as many of them do and I guess its flattering to be valued so highly......... the Denver roster needs more of course. Russell showed signs of slippage two seasons ago but Denver's QB record made them desperate to invest so much in a veteran QB albeit one with a good record but still one past his best just like Rodgers and Brady.

TRENDING THREADS