• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The odd thing was I did not see much interaction with his teammates. It seemed strange that he was often sitting by himself not talking to his teammates.

I noticed that too. Everytime they showed him on TV he was sitting by himself. It wasn't that way in Florida. His team responds on the field, so I don't think there is any tension between he and the team. I wonder if Elway's constant criticism is getting to him, or if that has anything to do with it. Certainly doesn't seem to be a lot of chemistry. He's still winnin games though.

Race Radio said:
So who is the next Bolts head coach? My money is on Chuckie

He just signed a five year extension to stay with MNF. He's much better as an analyst anyway; you don't want him SD.

Race Radio said:
Lots of people to pick from right now. And I would think if the Chargers management packaged it right (solid team of players, sunny So Cal location), and they get a new stadium deal, they could get almost anyone they want. I think Bill Cowher would be a better pick than Chucky, and give the team some of the discipline they need. The best guy out there is Tony Dungee, but he's not going back to coaching I think. Gruden could be lured away from MNF, but I don't think he's a top choice. Lots more guys, we listed about 10 back at the beginning of the year, and all will do better than Turner.

ImmaculateKadence said:
I wonder if Elway's constant criticism is getting to him, or if that has anything to do with it.
Elway was as great as any QB, but he needs to shut his trap about now and embrace what he has, and recognize the value in Tebow for what he is, not for what he isn't (a mirror of yourself). He's hurting his team, his own reputation a touch, and perhaps even Tebow - as strong as his character is - with his nonsensical bickering and skepticism. I mean, the guy he said couldn't make it has taken his team to 5-1 and a game out of first.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Lots of people to pick from right now. And I would think if the Chargers management packaged it right (solid team of players, sunny So Cal location), and they get a new stadium deal, they could get almost anyone they want. I think Bill Cowher would be a better pick than Chucky, and give the team some of the discipline they need. The best guy out there is Tony Dungee, but he's not going back to coaching I think. Gruden could be lured away from MNF, but I don't think he's a top choice. Lots more guys, we listed about 10 back at the beginning of the year, and all will do better than Turner.

A good friend (College roommate) is friends with Chuckie and his wife. Asked him to email him on my behalf and ask him to come to SD for a visit. They can stay at my place. See what he says

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Elway was as great as any QB, but he needs to shut his trap about now and embrace what he has, and recognize the value in Tebow for what he is, not for what he isn't (a mirror of yourself). He's hurting his team, his own reputation a touch, and perhaps even Tebow - as strong as his character is - with his nonsensical bickering and skepticism. I mean, the guy he said couldn't make it has taken his team to 5-1 and a game out of first.

Agreed. I'd understand if Elway sees the team going in another direction with a more traditional offense, but he needs to keep his feelings quite and entertain trade offers in the offseason. Right now, he should sit tight and enjoy the fact that Tebow has put his team within striking distance of the playoffs.

Alpe d'Huez said:

Those would all be better than the current head coach. How about the other Gruden... Jay, the Bengals OC?

+1 agree totally on Elway. I always thought he was a bit of an egomaniac anyways.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
San Diego certainly has lots of options for entertainment but even with the crappy team there are few things better then hanging with a few old buddies at the Murph.

Teabow was impressive. For as often as he runs he does not take many big hits. He was throwing better. His receivers dropped 2-3 easy passes so his completion percentage could have been higher. The odd thing was I did not see much interaction with his teammates. It seemed strange that he was often sitting by himself not talking to his teammates.

I think tebow is praying he will be the first QB in the NFL to win a game with out a completion. If so I am sure the big guy upstairs will give it to him

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
via tebow...yeah, but look at the division...the kid is awful and I am not just teeing off for his love of baby jesus...it is like vick last year...one good game against the skins for god's sake and everyone is all over him...it depends who you actually beat and what sort of day they are having...

Awful? He's 5-1 as a starter. Some of the teams he's beaten are the Jets, Raiders, Chargers and Dolphins. Granted, the Chargers are slipping and fins are 3-8. But all of these teams have between good and very good defenses. His passer rating was 95 last week, and 104 three weeks ago. He has 8 TD's and 1 int all year. And, he's the best rushing QB in the league.

Granted, the Broncos defense is very good and the unsung hero of late. And Tebow will never be a Aaron Rogers type of QB. But to say he's awful is missing the mark.

He's unquestionably better than Painter in Indy, Jackson in Seattle, Gabbert in Jax, Freeman in TB, who have mostly played awful, if on poor teams. But Tebow has also outplayed Rivers, Vick, Bradford, and Sanchez as well this season. QBs on teams with plenty of talent expected to excel.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Granted, the Broncos defense is very good and the unsung hero of late. And Tebow will never be a Aaron Rogers type of QB. But to say he's awful is missing the mark.

And they were awful before Tebow stepped in. They allow like 12 points less a game since Tebow became the starter...just sayin!

Alpe d'Huez said:
He's unquestionably better than Painter in Indy, Jackson in Seattle, Gabbert in Jax, Freeman in TB, who have mostly played awful, if on poor teams. But Tebow has also outplayed Rivers, Vick, Bradford, and Sanchez as well this season. QBs on teams with plenty of talent expected to excel.

Them there is fightin words :D Freeman has struggled this year, but I only considerate it a sophmore slump. If he struggles into next year, I'd be a bit more concerned. It's funny you mentioned him because both have a knack for 4th quarter comebacks. Anyway, I'd love for Freeman to have Tebows TD-INT ratio right now. Maybe then they wouldn't have lost 5 straight; kind of appropriate they are wearing the creamsicle throwbacks next week :rolleyes:

Wow, the Eagles now officially suck. 4-8 and in last place. Only three teams in the NFC have worse records. StL, Min, and Carolina.

Props to Seattle's defense. Very aggressive and impressive performance.

I've been looking at schedules, see who has what left. Should be a battle for HFA and a bye to the last game of the season., and I will comment more on Sunday.

Philly's play and record sure sucks, but last night they were a really banged up team missing key players on both sides of the ball. None more striking than Vick, who's replacement Vince Young made some really bad decisions with the ball. Take away those 4 INTs and it would have been a different game. They are still not a bad team with everyone healthy.

I thought the biggest coaching mistake was leaving wideout D-Jax (DeSean Jackson) on the field when he was hobbling all through his routes. He often wasn't even playing at 30%. He looked physically unable and maybe somewhat mentally unwilling. But it's the coaches fault for leaving him out there, even if Seattle was sometimes still putting safties over the top to cover him.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Wow, the Eagles now officially suck. 4-8 and in last place. Only three teams in the NFC have worse records. StL, Min, and Carolina.

Hey, let's give credit where it's due. The Eagles have now surpassed the Skins in statistical suckability, but that's only because they've played one more game. You could argue that since your lot beat the Eagles and we beat you, the Eagles suck even worse than the Skins! :p

But I wouldn't buy that argument.

I honestly don't know if I would have picked Seattle - I forgot all about the Thursday game.

Carolina at Tampa Bay
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
Atlanta at Houston
NY Jets at Washington
Indianapolis at New England
Oakland at Miami
Denver at Minnesota
Tennessee at Buffalo
Kansas City at Chicago
Baltimore at Cleveland
Dallas at Arizona
Green Bay at NY Giants
St. Louis at San Francisco
Detroit at New Orleans
MON, DEC 5
San Diego at Jacksonville

Going for the Fins because they're on a roll, despite the one point loss last week, and going for the Bills because I just don't believe that the Skins can avoid major disasters two weeks running.:(

Amsterhammer said:
Carolina at Tampa Bay
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
Atlanta at Houston
NY Jets at Washington
Indianapolis at New England
Oakland at Miami
Denver at Minnesota
Tennessee at Buffalo
Kansas City at Chicago
Baltimore at Cleveland
Dallas at Arizona
Green Bay at NY Giants
St. Louis at San Francisco
Detroit at New Orleans
MON, DEC 5
San Diego at Jacksonville

Decent picks. I differ only on TEN at BUF, but agree on the others.
Good games should be:
ATL at HOU (both a bit nicked up but Schaub on IR hurts Tex more)
CIN at PIT
BAL at CLE
GB at NYG
DET at NO (with or without Suh. Is he in or out for sure?)
don't really care much about the rest.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I have trust in the Spanos family . They gave me lots of awesome teams . They also cut guys like Drew Brees and Lil' Sproles. They told LT he was too old , at the Jets he helped them be a better team. Jr was the franchise player, same thing too old, He went to NE and helped them go to the post season. When NE had serious injuries within the linebacker corp. They got Seau out of retirement to again play at a top level,admittedly part time. Dear Spanos family please fire your coach and Mr.Rivers. Wasn't Ryan Leaf enough?

Amsterhammer said:
You could argue that since your lot beat the Eagles and we beat you, the Eagles suck even worse than the Skins!
Uh, the Seahawks aren't really "my lot". That would be On3m@n@rm's team you're thinking. Though I do favor west coast teams, yes.

Carolina at Tampa Bay - TB sliding, but not that far.
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh - Cincy could upset.
Atlanta at Houston - Too many injuries for Texans, Falcons rolling.
NY Jets at Washington - Sorry Amster. Must win for Jets.
Indianapolis at New England - Pats easy.
Oakland at Miami - Close game, but Raiders better team.
Denver at Minnesota - Adrian Peterson out. Tebow wins again.
Tennessee at Buffalo - Hasslebeck healthy, Bills sliding.
Kansas City at Chicago - Both teams hurting, but Bears better.
Baltimore at Cleveland - Let's see if Ravens play "down".
Dallas at Arizona - Cowboys on the move, quietly in 1st.
Green Bay at NY Giants - Giants have good pass D, and can stretch the field. But beat the Packers?
St. Louis at San Francisco - Mismatch.
Detroit at New Orleans - Saints look very good of late. No Suh.
San Diego at Jacksonville - SD tanking, but Jax have new coach, problems.

ESPN expert picks.

USA Today expert picks.

Thoughts on schedules, and games remaining, as we approach the playoffs:

NFC:

Green Bay plays @NYG, Oak, @KC, Chi, Detroit. Can they run the table? If they get past the Giants, I think so.

New Orleans plays Detroit, @Tenn, @Minn, Atl, and Carolina. Very hot right now. They could go finish 12-4, or 13-3.

San Francisco - StL, @ Arizona, Pitts, @Seattle, @ Stl. They could run the table here and finish 14-2 actually. Best defense in the NFC by a whopping 64 points (Dallas 2nd). In the AFC it's Houston, who has still given up 20 more than the 49ers.

Dallas - @Ari, NYG, @TB, Phi, @NYG. Cowboys have won 4 straight and could go 11-5.

Wildcards today look like Atlanta for certain, followed by either Chicago, Detroit or the Giants. Lions have tougher schedule. But if Cutler misses the season Bears will suffer.

AFC

New England - Colts, @ ‘Skins, @ Denver, Miami, Buffalo. They could run the table here. Toughest game at Denver.

Pittsburgh plays Bengals, Browns, @SF, StL, @ Cleveland. Looks like 4-1 to me, 3-2 at worst.

Baltimore plays @ Browns, Indy, @SD, Browns, @ Cincy. Last game toughest.

Houston has the AFC South sewn up. A bigger issue is injuries. Can Schaub or Williams come back by the playoffs?

Any of these teams could end up 13-3 or 12-4. Ravens hold division over Steelers. Both hold conference over Steelers. Last week in the season should be a dandy.

Oakland should win the AFC West.

Wildcard will be either Pittsburgh or Baltimore, depending on who wins that division, and probably the Jets, who are historically very good in December and used to being the wildcard and on the road. The spoiler is Denver, who holds a head-to-head win over the Jets, and in theory could push the Raiders out of first at the rate Tebow is playing.

Of those games, Alpe, I'd say SF in the NFC and BAL and NE in the AFC have the easy schedules. I think GB can run the table, but it is not as much a cake walk as those 3 teams. GB will get a fight from 4 of their 5 remaining games (@NYG, Oak, Chi, Detroit). Fortunate for GB 3 of those 4 are at home... not that it matters much. But I'm just thinking about potential upsets here.

So will the tougher schedule for GB wear them down or get them ready for the playoffs? Great teams find ways to get through, so I don't think the tougher schedule will hurt them. It will prolly make them better.

I'll say this, if GB runs the table I'll tip my hats off to them.

Tank Engine said:
The NFL have decided to have a second regular season game this side of the pond next season and Dublin is in the running to host it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...s-nfl-officials-visit-croke-park-2952357.html

As many fans as there are overseas I think it's great the NFL is considering this. In fact, if the interest overseas is good enough I think with a 256-game regular season schedule that the NFL could offer up more than just 2 games a season. Heck, why not have every team make the trip across the pond once during the regular season... that would be 16 games, not just 2. At least that would be more fair to all teams from a travel perspective. The only problem might be revenues lost by would-be home teams now playing overseas. Any thoughts on how that might work?

Tank Engine said:
The NFL have decided to have a second regular season game this side of the pond next season and Dublin is in the running to host it.
That's great news, especially considering I think NFL games played in Europe have been quite the success.

I could definitely see a point in time where one game per week is played in Europe. Maybe not the last week of the season, due to playoff implications, but certainly around bye weeks. The fans are there, the cities are big enough, the stadiums big enough.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I hate the NFL playing regular season games overseas; taking a home game away from an established franchise, their city and fans is a ridiculous idea. It puts an unecessary strain on both teams, and for what reason? To play in front some fans that really aren't entirely sure what the hell is going on anyway. Besides that, they'll never send a marquee matchup to London, certainly not a playoff game. Personally, I'd love to see owners and teams refuse to go, but since that piece of sh:eek:t Malcolm Glazer owns both the Bucs and ManU, we can bet he'll be the first to cost his team and city.

I hate to sound nationalistic here, but the NFL is ours. It's American football and should stay that way. NFL Europe already failed, the NFL's international reach should end with it.

ImmaculateKadence said:
I hate the NFL playing regular season games overseas; taking a home game away from an established franchise, their city and fans is a ridiculous idea. It puts an unecessary strain on both teams, and for what reason? To play in front some fans that really aren't entirely sure what the hell is going on anyway. Besides that, they'll never send a marquee matchup to London, certainly not a playoff game. Personally, I'd love to see owners and teams refuse to go, but since that piece of sh:eek:t Malcolm Glazer owns both the Bucs and ManU, we can bet he'll be the first to cost his team and city.

I hate to sound nationalistic here, but the NFL is ours. It's American football and should stay that way. NFL Europe already failed, the NFL's international reach should end with it.

That will be a sticking point for sure. That was one of the things I wondered about when I asked a bit ago "how that might work". Season ticket holders would have to get some kind of refund for an overseas game that they would otherwise have been able to attend.

The league appears to be interested in expanding the product to international markets. They may be able to accomplish that with far fewer games than one per week. In a way, the league really belongs to whoever or whereever the fan base is. And there appears to be one overseas. To say it only belongs to this side of the pond would be like saying we can't have WT cycling events outside of Europe.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
That will be a sticking point for sure. That was one of the things I wondered about when I asked a bit ago "how that might work". Season ticket holders would have to get some kind of refund for an overseas game that they would otherwise have been able to attend.
I have heard a few teams say they wouldn't go. The cowboys being one because they have to pay for the new stadium. Jerry Jones pretty much told the NFL absolutely not. The teams that are interested in going are from smaller markets that typically don't sell out anyway. The only way I could see it being fair to all teams is adding a game to the season and scheduling 8 home, 8 away, and one overseas game. I doubt the players would like an extra game per season.

on3m@n@rmy said:
The league appears to be interested in expanding the product to international markets. They may be able to accomplish that with far fewer games than one per week. In a way, the league really belongs to whoever or whereever the fan base is. And there appears to be one overseas. To say it only belongs to this side of the pond would be like saying we can't have WT cycling events outside of Europe.

True, but I don't think the fan base is really big enough to necessitate a game overseas. The reason the games are packed now is because it's the only one, and it's unbelievably hyped. I recognize there is a small interest, but they have been playing American football for well over a hundred years; I think if there were truly an interest, we would have seen it by now.

I haven't been to Europe since they started playing games in London, so it's possible the interest has grown, but when I was over there, nobody cared about the NFL. I was actually asked a few times what was on my hat (it was a Bucs hat BTW). If some folks that live there can tell me otherwise, please do.

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
lancaster said:
so glad that we get a full season.

i want to see big hits (steelers ravens)
explosive backs CJ2K, AP

i'm not american so don't really support a team but like Pats (parents took me to boston when i was young) and ravens (ray lewis, ed reed)

i'd quite like to see less clinic activities or at least an acknowledgement that it is a problem.

good to see we are getting a full season!