• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Before mentioning the team of destiny--aka the Toronto Raptors--it must be said that baby goat Steph Curry is a phenomenal talent. The guy can hit 3-s from more than 30 feet away and swat away 3 defenders who are in his face like annoying gnats. That is impressive.
Ok, enough about the Worriers.
If not for Curry, that game would have been a complete embarrassment. Picture mid-level prep school kids taking up basketball on a lark and facing a tough as nails public school team. Normally the final score would be 70--4 for the PS squad. No contest is what I am trying to say.

Well,tonight s result was the equivalent to a complete route in high school basketball. The Worriers never stood a chance and were man-handled pretty much from the opening tip.
Friends, I exort you to run to the bookie nearest you and place a bet on the Raps in 5.

Raptors edging closer to their first title. It's all over if they can repeat that performance against an injury riddled Warriors team. Curry scored 47 and it still wasn't enough. Klay Thompson not playing was a huge blow but that's sport. If the Warriors don't get at least one of Durant or Klay back for their next game they are in big trouble. And what sort of shape will they be in anyway ? Achilles and hamstrings are not quick fixes generally.

the delgados said:
Before mentioning the team of destiny--aka the Toronto Raptors--it must be said that baby goat Steph Curry is a phenomenal talent. The guy can hit 3-s from more than 30 feet away and swat away 3 defenders who are in his face like annoying gnats. That is impressive.
If not for Curry, that game would have been a complete embarrassment. Picture mid-level prep school kids taking up basketball on a lark and facing a tough as nails public school team. Normally the final score would be 70--4 for the PS squad. No contest is what I am trying to say.

Well,tonight s result was the equivalent to a complete route in high school basketball. The Worriers never stood a chance and were man-handled pretty much from the opening tip.
Friends, I exort you to run to the bookie nearest you and place a bet on the Raps in 5.

You’re on your game, Del. Felt good to be sitting in The Big Smoke watching this one.

Alpe73 said:
the delgados said:

You’re on your game, Del. Felt good to be sitting in The Big Smoke watching this one.

I know, right?! The atmosphere in the city is like one I have never seen, and I am old enough to recall the 2-time world series champion Toronto Blue Jays.
Sadly, previous commitments have taken me out of town, but I'll be back for the title--clinching game 5.
It is amazing how sports can cause people to put away petty little grievances and unite people from every walk of life. Even if it's just for a short period of time, I'll take it.

@movingtarget
re Game shape: Agreed. Unless those guys are on some super-grade formula PED's complete with cortisone shots for breakfast, they'll just be standing around the court with mouths drooling and watching their favourite players blow by them saying, "Hey guys, wait up! I wanna play, too!"
This series is over.

Re:

the delgados said:
@movingtarget
re Game shape: Agreed. Unless those guys are on some super-grade formula PED's complete with cortisone shots for breakfast, they'll just be standing around the court with mouths drooling and watching their favourite players blow by them saying, "Hey guys, wait up! I wanna play, too!"
This series is over.
I like your optimism.

the delgados said:
I don't know about you guys, but whenever I see Curry chomping on his mouthpiece like a toddler sucking on a dummy, I feel sick to my stomach.
Im not saying this because the team of destiny lost; I am saying this because it is gross. He needs to stop suckling his mouth guard like a baby goat on a teat.
Ok, the Raps lost tonight. The referees granted the San Francisco Worriers at least six points by being completely inept. I know refereeing a basketball game is to some degree arbitrary, but some of the calls against the Raps were blatantly wrong. I mean, if someone told a complete stranger to basketball that banging the hell out of a player was a foul, they could be thrown into a game and call an effing foul. It is as simple as that. But for some reason that did not happen.
Raps in 5!

I totally agree!!I love the heavily muscled mens bodies rubbing up against each other. I love to watch 6ft plus men hold and grab each other and all the exchange of fluids as they jump and run next to and on top of each other is fantastic. Watching the defender put his hands all over the back and butt of the man he is trying to cover is exciting and really really exhilarating!!
But the chewing and sucking of a mouth piece is disgusting and should not be tolerated!!!

Unchained said:
the delgados said:
I don't know about you guys, but whenever I see Curry chomping on his mouthpiece like a toddler sucking on a dummy, I feel sick to my stomach.
Im not saying this because the team of destiny lost; I am saying this because it is gross. He needs to stop suckling his mouth guard like a baby goat on a teat.
Ok, the Raps lost tonight. The referees granted the San Francisco Worriers at least six points by being completely inept. I know refereeing a basketball game is to some degree arbitrary, but some of the calls against the Raps were blatantly wrong. I mean, if someone told a complete stranger to basketball that banging the hell out of a player was a foul, they could be thrown into a game and call an effing foul. It is as simple as that. But for some reason that did not happen.
Raps in 5!

I totally agree!!I love the heavily muscled mens bodies rubbing up against each other. I love to watch 6ft plus men hold and grab each other and all the exchange of fluids as they jump and run next to and on top of each other is fantastic. Watching the defender put his hands all over the back and butt of the man he is trying to cover is exciting and really really exhilarating!!
But the chewing and sucking of a mouth piece is disgusting and should not be tolerated!!!

Ha! Pass me a cigarette, please.

Re:

the delgados said:
@movingtarget
This series is over.

Im pretty sure they have the super grade PED forumla, thats how Klay Thompson played the finals last year with iirc a grade 2 ankle sprain.

I want the Warriors to lose like everyone. And they can't complain since injuries won them the 2015 and arguably 2018 titles. But I don't think its over. Klay comes back and its the Warriors team that won in Toronto, but at home.

Then they need to steal one. And might Durant actually play the longer it goes?

What I do wonder about the Warriors is, Steph played 43 minutes on Wednsday. Will he be tired tonight?

The Hitch said:
[quote="the delgados":3laazdge]@movingtarget
This series is over.

Im pretty sure they have the super grade PED forumla, thats how Klay Thompson played the finals last year with iirc a grade 2 ankle sprain.

I want the Warriors to lose like everyone. And they can't complain since injuries won them the 2015 and arguably 2018 titles. But I don't think its over. Klay comes back and its the Warriors team that won in Toronto, but at home.

What I do wonder about the Warriors is, Steph played 43 minutes on Wednsday. Will he be tired tonight?[/quote]

Will Baby Goat Steph be tired? Refer back to your original sentence and you'll find the answer. No doubt every doctor and staff member on the Worriers are syphoning the super unleaded tanks in every Esso throughout the city to provide a little pick-me-up. If the PED's can't help KD, he must have a serious muscle tear or something. But then again, Tyler Hamilton placed fourth in Le Tour with a broken collarbone! So anything can happen.
Klay will be ready to go, but the cause will be futile.
Remember, the Raps should have won game two, even with Klay in the Worriers line-up. If not for some truly terrible non-calls and a boatload of wide-open missed 3's, this series would be 3-0, and Worriers fans would really have reason to beat the hell out of Lowry.
Like I said, the team of destiny is gonna bring this home and win it in front of the fans.
Visit the bookie nearest you.

the delgados said:
The Hitch said:
[quote="the delgados":3mdsnjw1]@movingtarget
This series is over.

What I do wonder about the Warriors is, Steph played 43 minutes on Wednsday. Will he be tired tonight?

Will Baby Goat Steph be tired? Refer back to your original sentence and you'll find the answer. No doubt every doctor and staff member on the Worriers are syphoning the super unleaded tanks in every Esso throughout the city to provide a little pick-me-up. If the PED's can't help KD, he must have a serious muscle tear or something. But then again, Tyler Hamilton placed fourth in Le Tour with a broken collarbone! So anything can happen.
Klay will be ready to go, but the cause will be futile.
Remember, the Raps should have won game two, even with Klay in the Worriers line-up. If not for some truly terrible non-calls and a boatload of wide-open missed 3's, this series would be 3-0, and Worriers fans would really have reason to beat the hell out of Lowry.
Like I said, the team of destiny is gonna bring this home and win it in front of the fans.
Visit the bookie nearest you.[/quote]

Very hard to see the Warriors getting out of this series. Raptors have had the momentum since squeaking past the 76ers. Their Bucks series win is probably being underestimated after the Bucks annihilated the Celtics. i think the Warriors needed Durant from the start to win this series and it's unlikely he returns now. Klay won't be able to play many minutes I don't think and his movement will be limited. Only something miraculous gets the series win for the Warriors now. The injuries to Durant and Klay also Looney plus Boogie just returning from injury are probably going to be too much against a team that has been improving through the playoffs.

Warriors worn down after a good start. Curry had an off night and was getting frustrated. Draymond was also getting frustrated with some ridiculous fouls. It went about the way I thought it would. Some of those close games against Portland in the previous series, who have one of the worst defenses in the league, didn't prepare the Warriors for the Raptors who will hope to close out the series at home and they should by all indications.

You know that anguished blank stare people get in their eyes when they realize all is lost? If someone were to take a team photo of the Worriers right now, everyone of them would look like they just saw a ghost who stole all their precious belongings.
It was nice to see the Worriers trying their best to mimic the full-on attacking defensive style which has already been perfected by the team of destiny==aka the Toronto Raptors. That was cute.
Seems Baby Goat Steph didn't get his suckling today; he was nowhere to be seen. Nor was Klay, whose feet lived up his name. He may as well have been running around on a beach.
But enough of the Worriers.
Toronto let things slip a little during the first half,and almost seemed to have forgotten how great they are. But it did not take long for them to realize they just want to put the Worriers out of their misery. What better way for that to happen than on Monday in Toronto?

Raps in 5!

I still can't tell how many fans were cheering that KD got up, and how many were cheering that he was hurt. I hope that most were cheering that he got up. Green said that it was deflating ('took the life out of us'), but they seemed to play inspired afterward.

Total disclosure:
I watched the game with a ton of people who were hanging on every single play. Three pointers from the Raps were met with Yeahhhs! from the entire crowd. Three pointers made by the Worriers were followed by audible sighs from the home-town crowd. In short, the atmosphere was intense and everyone was into every second of the game.
I am not going to lie when saying I kind of whooped and hollered for a couple seconds when KD hit the deck. I am definitely not proud of it, but I liken it to watching, say, an F1 race when the nearest competitor to a favoured driver overcooks a corner and ends up in the wall. We all know that his race is over, but the driver is not hurt. No way would anyone in their right mind would cheer if someone was visibly injured. Say, for instance that KD broke his leg like a dry twig. The vast majority of people in the stands would become silent within seconds. Say an F1 driver hit the wall so hard that he looked dead. No one would be cheering.
My point being is that everyone watching the game got caught up in the moment. Part of the narrative is if or when KD was going to play. So it makes sense that fans were happy that one of the best players in the league was not going to play. But there is no way I would trade a Raps championship for a player who could never do his job anymore. That notion is insane.
IMO, these things tend to get played up to a ridiculous degree.
Sort of like the part-owner of the Worriers who pushed Kyle Lowry s shoulder and has been banned for a year and given a $500,000 fine. That is nonsense. Sure, kick the guy out of the game. Don't let him back for the remainder of the series. But it s not like the guy pulled out a baseball bat and started wailing on the player.
Take it easy.

Worst musculoskeletal injury for a basketball player and nothing short of devastating for a player over 30. These players over 30 hardly ever reach pre-injury level and for many it's career ending. Significant reduction in minutes, more time off, and performance drops noticeably. Remember Kobe? Three more seasons after the injury (with abbreviated playing time) and he was done.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/1/27/16940178/nba-achilles-injury-history-kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-future

On Durant there's some speculation that it was an Achilles strain in the first place and never a "mild calf strain" as reported by the team back on May 9th. Watching him in pregame warm-ups though, he looked pretty good - jumping, cutting, pivoting, etc., without any noticeable pain or discomfort (though maybe pain meds or NSAIDs?). Nonetheless, from supposedly a "mild calf strain" to a ruptured Achilles...bad deal.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/kevin-durants-original-injury-involved-achilles-sports-doctor-speculates/1pvd1agonr8jj1klkvppwc54wu

This plays out in every big sport,the doctors dance on the razors edge of the Hippocratic oath. The real world diagnosis was, stay off the leg completely for a short time, reevaluate. No matter what doctor given the man's size and extreme physical condition you get no strenuous activity for 10-15 days. If you have legs used as often and in the way Durant used his the only logical state of activity is to rest the strained or broken part.
There is and was too much at stake for the team,the staff, Durant himself and the medical team to do the right thing.
I wonder if Tiger Woods looks back at the stupidity of his centrifuge blood treatment were the doctor ran out of the country ..Tiger needed years not days of voodoo medicine. He needed the tried and true not snake oil.
Durant should have been shelved period..maybe the NBA should hand back the pages of the horse racing handbook were there athletes are dead or broken because of over running.
*and no I don't think that the comparison of race horses and NBA players is a stretch.

the delgados said:
Total disclosure:
I watched the game with a ton of people who were hanging on every single play. Three pointers from the Raps were met with Yeahhhs! from the entire crowd. Three pointers made by the Worriers were followed by audible sighs from the home-town crowd. In short, the atmosphere was intense and everyone was into every second of the game.
I am not going to lie when saying I kind of whooped and hollered for a couple seconds when KD hit the deck. I am definitely not proud of it, but I liken it to watching, say, an F1 race when the nearest competitor to a favoured driver overcooks a corner and ends up in the wall. We all know that his race is over, but the driver is not hurt. No way would anyone in their right mind would cheer if someone was visibly injured. Say, for instance that KD broke his leg like a dry twig. The vast majority of people in the stands would become silent within seconds. Say an F1 driver hit the wall so hard that he looked dead. No one would be cheering.
My point being is that everyone watching the game got caught up in the moment. Part of the narrative is if or when KD was going to play. So it makes sense that fans were happy that one of the best players in the league was not going to play. But there is no way I would trade a Raps championship for a player who could never do his job anymore. That notion is insane.
IMO, these things tend to get played up to a ridiculous degree.
Sort of like the part-owner of the Worriers who pushed Kyle Lowry s shoulder and has been banned for a year and given a $500,000 fine. That is nonsense. Sure, kick the guy out of the game. Don't let him back for the remainder of the series. But it s not like the guy pulled out a baseball bat and started wailing on the player.
Take it easy.
A little (okay, a lot) off topic but you being a Torontonian, can you explain why your ice hockey team is the Maple Leafs and not the Maple Leaves?

TRENDING THREADS