• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
UC Irvine is a 4 year university that's part of the University of California system like UCLA is. There's a bunch of universities that are part of that system. They're like about half the field being a mid-major. It's similar to the North Carolina University system that include North Carolina (Chapel Hill, ACC school) along with UNC-Wilmington, UNC-Ashboro, and 3-4 other schools.
LOL, yep I play that one as well. Also have bracket at CBS and a semi-local TV/radio station's site.
Oh I knew about Irvine, I was just poking fun at them being a community college (not that there's anything wrong with CCs, I went to one myself before I transferred to the big uni), I'm just used to hearing about UCLA or UC Berkeley, or even UC Santa Barbara. So Irvine sounds new to me. Ah well, good luck to them nonetheless, I do think Oregon will beat them later today, though.

Speaking of winning...

Here's somebody I expected to win today - Kansas. They weren't supposed to lose till the next round according to me, so again, what the heck is going on this March? :mad:

I'm with you on Oregon beating them.

I also had Kansas losing in the next round. :lol:

Duke barely squeaked by and I have them in the final four and either losing to Gonzaga or winning it all.

Koronin said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
UC Irvine is a 4 year university that's part of the University of California system like UCLA is. There's a bunch of universities that are part of that system. They're like about half the field being a mid-major. It's similar to the North Carolina University system that include North Carolina (Chapel Hill, ACC school) along with UNC-Wilmington, UNC-Ashboro, and 3-4 other schools.
LOL, yep I play that one as well. Also have bracket at CBS and a semi-local TV/radio station's site.
Oh I knew about Irvine, I was just poking fun at them being a community college (not that there's anything wrong with CCs, I went to one myself before I transferred to the big uni), I'm just used to hearing about UCLA or UC Berkeley, or even UC Santa Barbara. So Irvine sounds new to me. Ah well, good luck to them nonetheless, I do think Oregon will beat them later today, though.

Speaking of winning...

Here's somebody I expected to win today - Kansas. They weren't supposed to lose till the next round according to me, so again, what the heck is going on this March? :mad:

Duke barely squeaked by and I have them in the final four and either losing to Gonzaga or winning it all.

Duke-UCF was best tourney game I've seen in years. Coaches' embrace post game was genuine and warm. Great program at UCF.

Alpe73 said:
Koronin said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
I agree.

Speaking of winning...

Duke-UCF was best tourney game I've seen in years. Coaches' embrace post game was genuine and warm. Great program at UCF.
I agree.

I will say though that the last drive by Zion only happens if you are the "consensus" number one player, on the "consensus" number one team. He initiated contact on the drive: player control/offensive foul 90% of the time. Absurd that the talking heads don't at least discuss it ("big time delivery"...of his shoulder). Does that change the outcome of the game? I say absolutely, but who knows.

BullsFan22 said:
So LeBron and the Lakers are officially out of the playoff picture. Sixth straight season that LA has missed the playoffs. LeBron misses the playoffs for what, only the second time in his career. Wonder what he’ll do. How long will he stick around in LA?

I believe he signed a 3 year contract and probably has a no trade clause in it. From what I hear he made the move because one of his sons is in school in LA (or in the area). Also he has interests in tv and movie related productions. His return to Cleveland was for unfinished business (bringing a championship to his semi-home town). He and the Cleveland owner didn't originally part on good terms the first time at all so I would think that leaving wasn't difficult since he brought them a title. They will be back in the playoff picture again next year but he will find that the Western conference isn't what the East was during his reign of dominance the past decade plus. I figure he will end his career in LA.

Angliru said:
BullsFan22 said:
So LeBron and the Lakers are officially out of the playoff picture. Sixth straight season that LA has missed the playoffs. LeBron misses the playoffs for what, only the second time in his career. Wonder what he’ll do. How long will he stick around in LA?

I believe he signed a 3 year contract and probably has a no trade clause in it. From what I hear he made the move because one of his sons is in school in LA (or in the area). Also he has interests in tv and movie related productions. His return to Cleveland was for unfinished business (bringing a championship to his semi-home town). He and the Cleveland owner didn't originally part on good terms the first time at all so I would think that leaving wasn't difficult since he brought them a title. They will be back in the playoff picture again next year but he will find that the Western conference isn't what the East during his reign of dominance the past decade plus. I figure he will end his career in LA.

No he doesn't have a no trade clause. Rumours going around that Liu might be the new coach after Luke Walton departs. Jason Kidd has also been mentioned. The East is improving. The final four should be good. Celtics have been disappointing. Lots of rumours about players going to the Clippers, Celtics and Knicks but not much noise about the Lakers. Be interesting to see who they can attract of the elite players. It's a given that a lot of their young players will be trade bait re the proposed trade with the Pelicans which didn't happen. Clippers have done well without any big names. Harden and Giannis are the only possible MVPs at this stage.

Angliru said:
BullsFan22 said:

I believe he signed a 3 year contract and probably has a no trade clause in it. From what I hear he made the move because one of his sons is in school in LA (or in the area). Also he has interests in tv and movie related productions. His return to Cleveland was for unfinished business (bringing a championship to his semi-home town). He and the Cleveland owner didn't originally part on good terms the first time at all so I would think that leaving wasn't difficult since he brought them a title. They will be back in the playoff picture again next year but he will find that the Western conference isn't what the East during his reign of dominance the past decade plus. I figure he will end his career in LA.
He did! :lol:

Well there goes one of my Final 4 teams. Had Tenn in the Final Four and that's definitely not happening now. Even with them losing, I'm glad to see Purdue doing well again.

Now, where did Oregon come from? It seems they got hot for the Pac 12 tournament and are still riding that hot streak.

Re:

Koronin said:
Well there goes one of my Final 4 teams. Had Tenn in the Final Four and that's definitely not happening now. Even with them losing, I'm glad to see Purdue doing well again.

Now, where did Oregon come from? It seems they got hot for the Pac 12 tournament and are still riding that hot streak.
I always think the strong teams are using the first half just for practice and then they really get rolling in the second. We're at halftime, I think Virginia will still win.

Very glad Gonzaga won earlier, they're about the only team I care about now.

Re:

Koronin said:

Yeah, Tennessee ... never know what you're going to get ... or not get. But what a great game! Loved how the cameras were fixed on (former Purdue coach) Gene Keady. Beautiful. Purdue could give Virginia real trouble, me thinks.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Dang, that Virginia game was a nail-biter!

Considering they barely landed any of their three-pointers I now think they'll be lucky to get past Purdue, let alone win the whole championship like I predicted. So I'm calling my bracket busted well ahead of time.

Yes … I'm with you on Purdue vs Virginia. And TTU … wow … big defence. Going to be really interesting against the Zags.

Alpe73 said:
Yes … I'm with you on Purdue vs Virginia. And TTU … wow … big defence. Going to be really interesting against the Zags.
I just hate it when teams waste their time on trying to hit three-pointers (like Virginia did yesterday), why not just go a for a layup if it's doable? And then you can always see who has been practicing their free throws...

Your boys Kentucky are up against Houston today, have no idea how to call it.

On a side note - Coaching must be incredibly stressful. Most of the time the coaches are well compensated, but the pressure to win must be immense.

Last two days have had some great games. Well 2 of my brackets still have 3 Final Four teams. The other two still have two. I've got Duke and Gonzaga in all 4 brackets and Kentucky in 2 of the 4 brackets.

Duke has now escaped two games in a row with wins. I don't think the Va Tech kid realized he had a little more time than he thought he had.

Re:

Koronin said:
Last two days have had some great games. Well 2 of my brackets still have 3 Final Four teams. The other two still have two. I've got Duke and Gonzaga in all 4 brackets and Kentucky in 2 of the 4 brackets.

Duke has now escaped two games in a row with wins. I don't think the Va Tech kid realized he had a little more time than he thought he had.
While I do have Duke in the final I'm most definitely hoping the Spartans will take care of business tomorrow. (*** I don't like Duke...)

I have only one do-or-die bracket, what is the point of having so many brackets, Koronin?

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:

While I do have Duke in the final I'm most definitely hoping the Spartans will take care of business tomorrow. (**** I don't like Duke...)

I have only one do-or-die bracket, what is the point of having so many brackets, Koronin?

Two are local/semi local TV/Radio stations brackets. Then I've always done the ESPN bracket and the CBS brackets. The ESPN one is with a bunch of friends in our own small group.

Koronin said:
Two are local/semi local TV/Radio stations brackets. Then I've always done the ESPN bracket and the CBS brackets. The ESPN one is with a bunch of friends in our own small group.
Ach soooooo, yeah, it's always fun to play against people you know. If not for money than at least you can win bragging rights. Speaking of bragging rights...

After yesterday I have jumped into the 92% prediction accuracy rate, but my ranking is still only 1.4 millionth. How do people get a perfect bracket? :confused:

Gonzaga is out, I'm not shocked because I thought they'd only make it into the Final Four but not into the final, but am still kinda bummed. I have Virginia beating Duke in the final with a score of 70-68... ho-hum, I really don't care for either team.

Tricycle Rider said:
Alpe73 said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Nobody getting into March Madness this year? Filling out your brackets?

I'm totally okay with that, but I still have Virginia taking the whole cake. (Doesn't mean I like them, but I would still like for them to beat Duke in the final.)

Nice thought ... but I don’t think so. V will be hoping to get past that pesky number 16 seed.

Auburn looks strong to me and I have them to win it.

Reality is that Zion and Duke are going to be tough to roll.

Enjoy, TR! :)
Auburn... are you serious?

That's almost like saying Gonzaga (my fave west-coast team, even though they are not Pac-12). has even half a chance of winning against all of these big gladiator teams.

Ah well, enjoy as well, Alpe. :)

See you next weekend, TR! :)

At this point only team in the Final Four I care anything at all about is Virginia. Other teams not all. I don't care enough about Virginia to bother watching. Good luck Virginia.
As of now all my Final Four teams are out, so don't have that reason to bother watching either.

Yep, that's why I had 4 now useless brackets.

Alpe73 said:
Ouch, I was dead wrong about Auburn, good for you, Alpe!

Duke is out by merely one point - thank you Spartans, I'm giggling like a little schoolgirl right now. :D

Maybe not all is lost, my nephew goes to Texas Tech, so maybe I can find a way to cheer them on. I kinda like the Spartans, though, so, yeah.

Tricycle Rider said:
Alpe73 said:
Ouch, I was dead wrong about Auburn, good for you, Alpe!

Duke is out by merely one point - thank you Spartans, I'm giggling like a little schoolgirl right now. :D

Maybe not all is lost, my nephew goes to Texas Tech, so maybe I can find a way to cheer them on. I kinda like the Spartans, though, so, yeah.

Yeah ... like the Spartans, but would be kind of neat to see two teams that had never won it all ... be there. Auburn and TT ... then would be just as happy for TT as I would be for Auburn. Have a good week, TR.

TRENDING THREADS