• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nomad said:
Not a great series if you're a Nugget fan here in Denver. I would have preferred them to close it out in SA. Jokic was on fire and Murray had good production but the bench let them down. Only 15 points when they've been averaging 30+ points. The Joker can't do it all. Now a winner-take-all 7th game -- not something we wanted this series to come down to.

Even with the Pop factor re playoffs, I still think Denver can get it done.

Denver got there in the end and the Raptors made a mess of the 76ers in game one which I kinda expected. The other series between Boston and the Bucks could be the more entertaining one. Will the Bucks's form continue in the playoffs ? Last year they went seven games with an interim coach but coach Bud has really improved them under his system. I would prefer to see the Bucks go through.

Nomad said:
You called that one spot on. Nice to see the Nuggets advance to the next round with such a young team. The crowd at the Pespi Center was absolutely insane!

What's your take on the Denver - Portland series?

Should be close I think. Maybe OKC's indifferent form flattered Portland a little and it took a miraculous shot for Portland to win their last game. Can't see it going less than 6 games. Portland probably have the edge in 3 point shooting and experience.

Just a brief note to say Masai Ujiri is a friggin genius.
Guy takes a huge risk to trade DeRozan for Kawhi Leonard and it is paying off. The Toronto Raptors look unbeatable at this point.
We have all heard the rumours that KL wont stick around after this season, but he seems to enjoy beating the living hell out of his opponents.

Nomad said:
Not a great series if you're a Nugget fan here in Denver. I would have preferred them to close it out in SA. Jokic was on fire and Murray had good production but the bench let them down. Only 15 points when they've been averaging 30+ points. The Joker can't do it all. Now a winner-take-all 7th game -- not something we wanted this series to come down to.

From what I understand they have the youngest or one of the youngest teams in the league, so if they can keep the core intact, their future is quite bright. It was unfortunate for them to have to go against a well drilled Spurs squad with multiple veterans of playoff basketball along with coach acumen of Pop. Hopefully they have a bit left in the tank because Portland and Lillard are on a mission and are playing well. The loss of Nurkic will be felt with the play of Jokic, taking his game to another level in game 6, showing what he is fully capable of. The Nuggets will need that type of scoring from Nurkic if the Portland backcourt continues to perform as they did in their playoff opening series.

Wild one with the Nuggets; 4 OTs! (only the 2nd quadruple OT game in NBA playoff history with the last one played in 1953). Incredible effort by both teams. Jokic with 65 minutes - 2 shy of the NBA record.

Nuggets fell apart in the 4th OT. Harris fouled out , 2 missed FTs, a key turnover by Murray and poor shot selection there at the end sealed their fate.

Backs against the wall now - must win on Sunday.

Nomad said:
Wild one with the Nuggets; 4 OTs! (only the 2nd quadruple OT game in NBA playoff history with the last one played in 1953). Incredible effort by both teams. Jokic with 65 minutes - 2 shy of the NBA record.

Nuggets fell apart in the 4th OT. Harris fouled out , 2 missed FTs, a key turnover by Murray and poor shot selection there at the end sealed their fate.

i missed the game, will have to check the highlights. Sounded like a great one. maybe the Denver inexperience is starting to tell but all of the games have been competitive. Boston also needs the next game against the Bucks.

movingtarget said:
Nomad said:

i missed the game, will have to check the highlights. Sounded like a great one. maybe the Denver inexperience is starting to tell but all of the games have been competitive. Boston also needs the next game against the Bucks.
I feel slightly distasteful showing after a long time here, and being patriotic... but, Jokić... blame on him.
As he came back from the sixties... "Place the ball through the hoop"... "Just that?! No problem!"... "Try to pick it after a missed shot!"... "O.K., I'll try..." ... "Hey, if you can't score - pass it!"... "Of course..." ... "Run a bit!" ... "Do I have to?! O.K., It's playoff..." ... "Hey! You've made a $hit load of triple-doubles!" ... "Is that what it's called?!"
Guys are jumping a meter and a half, running 100 in 11, pressing 200 from the bench, lifting 250 dead, and he's just playing it simple.

sir fly said:
movingtarget said:
Nomad said:

I feel slightly distasteful showing after a long time here, and being patriotic... but, Jokić... blame on him.
As he came back from the sixties... "Place the ball through the hoop"... "Just that?! No problem!"... "Try to pick it after a missed shot!"... "O.K., I'll try..." ... "Hey, if you can't score - pass it!"... "Of course..." ... "Run a bit!" ... "Do I have to?! O.K., It's playoff..." ... "Hey! You've made a $hit load of triple-doubles!" ... "Is that what it's called?!"
Guys are jumping a meter and a half, running 100 in 11, pressing 200 from the bench, lifting 250 dead, and he's just playing it simple.

Jokic is quite a character............

Speaking of barrels, the Celtics are currently looking down one after the Bucks go up 3-1 and head home for their next game. The Houston series has come back to life and it looks like going the distance. I pick Denver,Bucks, Raptors and the Warriors to go through. 76ers are a bit too inconsistent and they don't have a Kawhi.

76ers and Blazers ensure their series go seven. Kevin Durant injured gives Houston an opportunity but really they should have won the last game. Their final quarter was bad. The consensus seems to be that the Warriors will still win the series. I still think the Raptors, Nuggets and Warriors will go through. The Bucks will enjoy their break and now have Brogdon back as well.

I wouldn't say they blew it. After the first quarter, they've got out of rhythm, and didn't manage to get back despite the tight score till the end of the third period. Nuggets' game suffers while Jokic doesn't play, but it becomes a problem when they fail to continue (where they've stopped) when he returns into the play.
I've almost forgotten how tricky this western games' schedule is for European viewers... flashed me back to 2002 and Lakers - Kings series.
And when the Kings get to the conference final again, I'll get really patriotic, like it was the case back then. Only this time it will be sheer local patriotism.

"Blew it" in the sense that the Nuggets didn't put Portland away and close out the series.Though the Nuggets will no doubt gave a home court advantage on Sunday, no competent coach wants to go to a game 7 when your team is the favorite to win the series. Though Portland got blown out in game 5 at the Pepsi, they also stole game 2 - so they've shown they can win in Denver.

What? Nuggets lost?

They were the team I thought could at least take a game off Warriors, so that they won't be too fresh for the finals. errghh.

Well I hope Bucks can put away Raptors quick so that Warriors will at least have to have a finals without hfa.

All blame goes on Houston though. They had their chance and they blew it big time.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Denver had a big lead in the first half but couldn't maintain it. Final shot in the Raptors game was amazing. Two nice games. Two interesting match ups on the way. Bucks/Raptors and Warriors/Blazers. I pick a Bucks/Warriors final.

One for the ages. Kawhi even had time to squat ... and will the ball 'a bit of english.' Sweet. :D

TRENDING THREADS