• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
What? Nuggets lost?

They were the team I thought could at least take a game off Warriors, so that they won't be too fresh for the finals. errghh.

Well I hope Bucks can put away Raptors quick so that Warriors will at least have to have a finals without hfa.

All blame goes on Houston though. They had their chance and they blew it big time.

That would be 'quickly', dude ... and I hope they don't ... but, yes, they probably will.

Re: Re:

Alpe73 said:
movingtarget said:
Denver had a big lead in the first half but couldn't maintain it. Final shot in the Raptors game was amazing. Two nice games. Two interesting match ups on the way. Bucks/Raptors and Warriors/Blazers. I pick a Bucks/Warriors final.

One for the ages. Kawhi even had time to squat ... and will the ball 'a bit of english.' Sweet. :D

One of my favourite sports moments ever. That shot also produced some of the best crowd photos ever. It is so awesome to see the looks on the faces of players and the crowd when something as dramatic at that happened.
Kawhi looked like a friggin golfer squatting down in anticipation of a thirty foot putt to go in the hole. That is how long the ball took to go through the hoop.

The Raptors not only have the momentum, they have probably the best player in the world who is determined to win.
Raps are not going anywhere other than the finals.

the delgados said:
Alpe73 said:
movingtarget said:
Denver had a big lead in the first half but couldn't maintain it. Final shot in the Raptors game was amazing. Two nice games. Two interesting match ups on the way. Bucks/Raptors and Warriors/Blazers. I pick a Bucks/Warriors final.

One for the ages. Kawhi even had time to squat ... and will the ball 'a bit of english.' Sweet. :D

One of my favourite sports moments ever. That shot also produced some of the best crowd photos ever. It is so awesome to see the looks on the faces of players and the crowd when something as dramatic at that happened.
Kawhi looked like a friggin golfer squatting down in anticipation of a thirty foot putt to go in the hole. That is how long the ball took to go through the hoop.

The Raptors not only have the momentum, they have probably the best player in the world who is determined to win.
Raps are not going anywhere other than the finals.

Well the Bucks had the Pistons without their best player then an atrocious Celtics team.......now it gets harder for both teams. I think the Bucks would have beaten the 76ers. The Warriors series looks more one sided.

The Hitch said:
What? Nuggets lost?

They were the team I thought could at least take a game off Warriors, so that they won't be too fresh for the finals. errghh.

Well I hope Bucks can put away Raptors quick so that Warriors will at least have to have a finals without hfa.

All blame goes on Houston though. They had their chance and they blew it big time.

Yeah I think Denver would have been the better match up but Houston just can't get it done in the playoffs and their window is closing with other teams getting better and the Warriors maintaining their high level.

Pity for the 76ers. Would have been nice to see a team, like the Blazers out west, that isn't really talked about that much by the mainstream media, go a bit further in the playoffs. Never a fan of teams that get pampered by the media. The Bucks, though a small market, have Giannis and he's obviously been glorified for the past couple years. The Raptors have Kawhi.

The Blazers Nuggets was a battle between two teams that are talented and can play good ball, but again, the media is all over the Warriors and the big market teams. Jokic is darn good player and it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here. Will he stay in Denver long term to try and get a title there or go somewhere else? The Blazers success has been a long time coming. Lillard and McCollum need to be more consistent, especially with Kanter playing injured and Nurkic out. With Lillard, McCollum, Kanter, Nurkic and a very good bench, they could have beaten the Warriors, but it'll be tough now. Last year they were embarrassed by the Pelicans in the first round. Now against the Warriors.

My pick/hope? Blazers vs Raptors in the finals.

movingtarget said:
The Hitch said:
What? Nuggets lost?

Yeah I think Denver would have been the better match up but Houston just can't get it done in the playoffs and their window is closing with other teams getting better and the Warriors maintaining their high level.

Harden saying he knows what to do to beat the Warriors now.

You will be 31, CP is retirement age already. A little late now James no?

Two very winnable games for Portland but they choked. Two games in a row they go up 17 points and they lose both. Losing in Oakland is one thing, dropping game 3 IN Portland where they've been so good is bad. Lillard has been MIA. No Nurkic, Kanter playing injured is essentially no Kanter, turnovers, some (predictably) iffy officiating and the Blazers are about to get swept.

Looks like Bucks Warriors finals.

BullsFan22 said:
Two very winnable games for Portland but they choked. Two games in a row they go up 17 points and they lose both. Losing in Oakland is one thing, dropping game 3 IN Portland where they've been so good is bad. Lillard has been MIA. No Nurkic, Kanter playing injured is essentially no Kanter, turnovers, some (predictably) iffy officiating and the Blazers are about to get swept.

Looks like Bucks Warriors finals.

Toronto got one back. And now Lillard has a rib injury so not good for the Blazers. Kanter can't eat because of Ramadan as well so not ideal. Bucks will try get the second road game at Toronto and close it out at home I suppose. Another win for Toronto would make it interesting after the Bucks looked good in the first two games.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Bucks and Toronto level on 2-2. Toronto defense has improved a lot but looking at Kawhi there must be some concerns about his health. Bucks have to find a way to get their offense going again.

Kawhi is definitely taking a beating, and is in some way detrimental to the cause. By that I mean he is trying to do everything. God bless the guy--he is an awesome basketball player--but methinks he should start playing the role of decoy until whatever is plaguing him passes. No need to take impossible shots when pretty much every one of your teammates are wide open.
Toronto s bench players are starting to pick up the slack, so this series is winnable.

Not looking good for the Bucks after playing well in the first two games of the series. Bucks have to win on the road next game to force it to 7 and it seems unlikely at the moment with the form Kawhi is in and the way the Bucks offense is struggling. Maybe inexperience is part of it but the Bucks bench is also getting outplayed now unlike the beginning of the series. Would like to see it go 7.Coach Bud hasn't been able to make effective changes in the past three games. Toronto seems to have the momentum at the moment and a Bucks win on the road would surprise me.

Raptors make their first NBA final. Toronto got the job done even though it looked in doubt for quite a while. The Bucks are a team with obvious talent but are a work in progress like Denver and a few other good teams. They went out in the first round last year so they have made progress. Toronto's experience helped them close out the tight games and Kawhi has been the MVP of the playoffs so far. Should be an interesting series against the Warriors.

Playoffs in the East have been fun this year and it looks like the Raptors, Bucks, 76ers rivalry should continue and the Celtics should also be up there again after having a horror series against the Bucks. Indiana were unlucky to lose Oladipo before the playoffs and they also should be competitive next year but with so many quality free agents on the move there are going to be big changes to the rosters.

The Raps are a team of destiny, I tell ya. Down something like 14 points with a little more than a quarter to go, then boom.
Right back in it.
It is easy to say in retrospect, but no one I was watching the game with wrote off the Raps. There was a general sense of quote Yeah, whatevs. Plenty of time to go.
Kawhi is one hell of a player and I hope he sticks around after the season.
The San Francisco Worriers will probably live up to their name and be very worried.
Raps in 5!

Re:

the delgados said:
The Raps are a team of destiny, I tell ya. Down something like 14 points with a little more than a quarter to go, then boom.
Right back in it.
It is easy to say in retrospect, but no one I was watching the game with wrote off the Raps. There was a general sense of quote Yeah, whatevs. Plenty of time to go.
The San Francisco Worriers will probably live up to their name and be very worried.
Raps in 5!

"the Delgados" ... my new fav sports fan.

Loyalty, optimism, just a pinch of swagger ... you got the right combo, man.

My son was at game 4 ... thoroughly pumped by it all, including Drake, LOL.

And Biggio goes yard for the Jays!

Can't wait to pop into town next week and grab some of the TO sports buzz. :)

Alpe73 said:
the delgados said:
Right back in it.
Raps in 5!

"the Delgados" ... my new fav sports fan.

Loyalty, optimism, just a pinch of swagger ... you got the right combo, man.

My son was at game 4 ... thoroughly pumped by it all, including Drake, LOL.

And Biggio goes yard for the Jays!

Can't wait to pop into town next week and grab some of the TO sports buzz. :)

Ha! Drop a line when in town if you re looking for a place to watch the game.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Raptors win game one convincingly. Nice game by Siakam.

Nice game by Siakam.
That s like saying my dinner at a 3-star Michelin restaurant was pretty good.
No man, that was not a nice game by Siakam. That was a friggin game for the ages. That was like seeing fireworks every time he left his feet, jumped over three defenders and gently delivered the ball through the hoop. This guy is so tall and gangly, yet he moves around the court with grace.
Three years ago this guy was herding antelopes in the African desert. No one knew his name. Then someone shows him a basketball and it s like Peter Parker turning into Superman. Or Clark Kent turning into Spiderman. Whatever.
In short, he is an angel sent from above, and pretty much everyone in Toronto adores the fellow.
Clearly the San Francisco Worriers weren't worried at all. They took this team too lightly. But by god they are worrying now.
Things are gonna get tougher from here on out, but Toronto is a team of destiny and they will be NBA champs in 5.
Run, do not walk to your bookie.

the delgados said:
movingtarget said:
Raptors win game one convincingly. Nice game by Siakam.

Nice game by Siakam.
That s like saying my dinner at a 3-star Michelin restaurant was pretty good.
No man, that was not a nice game by Siakam. That was a friggin game for the ages. That was like seeing fireworks every time he left his feet, jumped over three defenders and gently delivered the ball through the hoop. This guy is so tall and gangly, yet he moves around the court with grace.
Three years ago this guy was herding antelopes in the African desert. No one knew his name. Then someone shows him a basketball and it s like Peter Parker turning into Superman. Or Clark Kent turning into Spiderman. Whatever.
In short, he is an angel sent from above, and pretty much everyone in Toronto adores the fellow.
Clearly the San Francisco Worriers weren't worried at all. They took this team too lightly. But by god they are worrying now.
Things are gonna get tougher from here on out, but Toronto is a team of destiny and they will be NBA champs in 5.
Run, do not walk to your bookie.

Bada boom, bada bing!

Re:

jmdirt said:
I appreciate Steph's ability to shoot, but I don't like his smarmy demeanor. Throwing the ball in the air on a dead ball is lame and dangerous, don't make it worse by crying about getting a T for it.

He's talented obviously but not particularly likeable........something a bit off about him. Especially when things are not going his way.

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I see Curry chomping on his mouthpiece like a toddler sucking on a dummy, I feel sick to my stomach.
Im not saying this because the team of destiny lost; I am saying this because it is gross. He needs to stop suckling his mouth guard like a baby goat on a teat.
Ok, the Raps lost tonight. The referees granted the San Francisco Worriers at least six points by being completely inept. I know refereeing a basketball game is to some degree arbitrary, but some of the calls against the Raps were blatantly wrong. I mean, if someone told a complete stranger to basketball that banging the hell out of a player was a foul, they could be thrown into a game and call an effing foul. It is as simple as that. But for some reason that did not happen.
Raps in 5!

the delgados said:
I don't know about you guys, but whenever I see Curry chomping on his mouthpiece like a toddler sucking on a dummy, I feel sick to my stomach.
Im not saying this because the team of destiny lost; I am saying this because it is gross. He needs to stop suckling his mouth guard like a baby goat on a teat.
Ok, the Raps lost tonight. The referees granted the San Francisco Worriers at least six points by being completely inept. I know refereeing a basketball game is to some degree arbitrary, but some of the calls against the Raps were blatantly wrong. I mean, if someone told a complete stranger to basketball that banging the hell out of a player was a foul, they could be thrown into a game and call an effing foul. It is as simple as that. But for some reason that did not happen.
Raps in 5!
Basketball officials are unbelievably inconsistent. Five steps = no travel, two minutes later a foot shuffle = travel. A brush of the arm = a foul but a body slam as long as your hand touches the ball = no call. Some of it is like what I've said about NFL refs, they are old men chasing elite athletes and they can't get in to the correct position to see the play.

jmdirt said:
the delgados said:
Raps in 5!
Basketball officials are unbelievably inconsistent. Five steps = no travel, two minutes later a foot shuffle = travel. A brush of the arm = a foul but a body slam as long as your hand touches the ball = no call. Some of it is like what I've said about NFL refs, they are old men chasing elite athletes and they can't get in to the correct position to see the play.

In case you haven't already heard, check out Mike Donaghy s story. He was a former referee who spent time in prison for fixing games. He provides an interesting perspective from the refs point of view. According to him, refs aren't deliberately told to fix matches, but the higher ups told refs prior to a playoff game who to focus and call fouls on. The more playoff games they referee, the more money they make; so it makes sense that they would take orders from above. His story is fascinating but not surprising. Also, from a financial point of view, it makes sense to keep a series going to 7 games.
The guy now runs a gambling ring that is, from what Ive heard, pretty successful.