• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA Player suspended 10 Games for DHEA-Fair Deal or pattern for all sports?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Grizzlies Guard OJ Mayo tested positive for DHEA and cited tainted supplements as the possible source. He'll be suspended for 10 games and the salary that comes with it. In a rare moment of accountability he accepted full responsibility for not checking the contents. While this may be just part of the player's training program the NBA and team do not seem interested in deeper review.

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley said Mayo will continue practicing with the team during his suspension.

"O.J. had a lack of judgment but has shown complete accountability," Heisley said in a statement. "We will continue to support O.J. during this time as we have from the moment he joined the team in 2008. He has unselfishly done everything we have asked of him, and we expect him to grow as a player and a person from this experience."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...7/mayo.suspension.ap/index.html#ixzz1CI0qpqdO

Should cyclists be handled similarly for apparently "minor" doping infractions like Contador's bad meat?

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
That is just sad, other sports just slap you on the wrist. Where if you happen to accidentally take something you lose 2 years of your sporting career in cycling.

Tom Zirbel tested positive for the same thing, and was given a 2 year ban and he lost an awesome contract with Garmin. And this basketball player is only going to miss a couple weeks of games?

That is RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Either cycling comes down too hard on athletes or other sports aren't doing nearly enough compared to cycling.

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Here we go again...cycling people on a cycling forum trying to "put it all into perspective" by pointing fingers at other sports and saying to themselves,"See, we're not the only ones...", or "See, they don't do anything compared to what we do...". Ergo, we stand on moral highground MUST be better than them.:rolleyes:

Pro cyclists and fans need to continue looking in the mirror - not over the fence into someone else's backyard. Cycling's sordid backyard (past and present) is dirty enough that there shouldn't even be time to look/focus anywhere else. Basketball players aren't falling dead because of their PED use.

But alas, threads of this nature make some people feel good in some silly way...carry-on, I suppose - as I'm sure my sentiment is not going to deter those that desire to look elsewhere instead where the problem still persists...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
fujisst said:
Here we go again...cycling people on a cycling forum trying to "put it all into perspective" by pointing fingers at other sports and saying to themselves,"See, we're not the only ones...", or "See, they don't do anything compared to what we do...". Ergo, we stand on moral highground MUST be better than them.:rolleyes:

Pro cyclists and fans need to continue looking in the mirror - not over the fence into someone else's backyard. Cycling's sordid backyard (past and present) is dirty enough that there shouldn't even be time to look/focus anywhere else. Basketball players aren't falling dead because of their PED use.

But alas, threads of this nature make some people feel good in some silly way...carry-on, I suppose - as I'm sure my sentiment is not going to deter those that desire to look elsewhere instead where the problem still persists...

Hang on to your sentiment, it's worth it.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Grizzlies Guard OJ Mayo tested positive for DHEA and cited tainted supplements as the possible source. He'll be suspended for 10 games and the salary that comes with it. In a rare moment of accountability he accepted full responsibility for not checking the contents. While this may be just part of the player's training program the NBA and team do not seem interested in deeper review.

The NBA is sending a clear message, using a second year player - don't get caught.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
keep it on-topic, if you don't like a notion of a valid topic don't read the thread and don't post in the thread

Some of you guys sound crazier than the Armstrong apologists.

The FDA is not allowed to regulate the lucrative supplement industry. This means they can either put or not put whatever they want in their products and not have to list things like the illegal substances, rat droppings or sawdust.

Yet if someone takes a protein shake and tests positive, it's the athletes' fault for putting the stuff in his body.

This is the height of stupidity.

For the next 10 games, I will not put Mayo on my sandwiches in sympathy.

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
titleshot said:
That is just sad, other sports just slap you on the wrist. Where if you happen to accidentally take something you lose 2 years of your sporting career in cycling.

Tom Zirbel tested positive for the same thing, and was given a 2 year ban and he lost an awesome contract with Garmin. And this basketball player is only going to miss a couple weeks of games?

That is RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Either cycling comes down too hard on athletes or other sports aren't doing nearly enough compared to cycling.

What you need to understand is Pro sports such as Basketball, as well as Baseball & Football here in the States are seen as entertainment in the eyes of the Team Owners...i.e. they do not want their star players sitting on the bench, rather than out there in play so ticket holders can see their sporting heros (and make money...really the bottom line here). I should add that the Pro Player Union is very strong in all these sports, so much so that most of the time Pro players are given a heads up when they will be tested!

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
markrosen said:
What you need to understand is Pro sports such as Basketball, as well as Baseball & Football here in the States are seen as entertainment in the eyes of the Team Owners...i.e. they do not want their star players sitting on the bench, rather than out there in play so ticket holders can see their sporting heros (and make money...really the bottom line here). I should add that the Pro Player Union is very strong in all these sports, so much so that most of the time Pro players are given a heads up when they will be tested!

What you need to understand is that basketball is an olympic sport. These athletes should be held to the same standard as all olymic sports, no matter how much money they make or how strong of a union they have.

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
When basketball players compete in the olympics they are tested in the same way as all the other athletes.

OJ Mayo won't ever have to worry about that though.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
titleshot said:
What you need to understand is that basketball is an olympic sport. These athletes should be held to the same standard as all olymic sports, no matter how much money they make or how strong of a union they have.

Yes agreed , it seems the more we read all these threads the more is uncovered regarding dope in other sports . The real tragedy is , what do we tell our kids , what message is being sent out there to the young eyes that watch and want to become sports stars . So no matter what sport , is it still sport if everyone is juiced to the gills to compete .
Right now , cycling is taking the brunt of the media blows and it is really a double standard when dealing with suspensions etc.
Dealing with the individual sports organizations , and their different approach to dope testing and suspensions , non of it makes sense and non of it is destined to actually be productive regarding the attitude towards pro doping .
I think that is why there are more band aid solutions and procrastination in testing and results and delayed suspension and the like etc etc .
Every now and then someone has to take the fall . To show all that something is being done . ( or they dont have the program to pay the bribes )

My fellow friends and athletes : , If you all think doping is a disgusting way to win then the solution is simple .
When an athlete tests positive with anything , the entire team is banned . The Team has its license pulled , No one can compete ever .
I guess with the money at stake that would just about kill all pro sports . right. Yes i think right .
Everyone pays the price . Does anyone still want to compete in pro sports now . ? Does anyone still want to invest in that guaranteed winner over the line with arms raised in triumph and all that sponsorship pasted on the jersey ? :cool:

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
MD said:
When basketball players compete in the olympics they are tested in the same way as all the other athletes.

OJ Mayo won't ever have to worry about that though.

You seem to be missing my point, basketball is an olympic sport, it doesnt matter if a player in the pros will never get selected for the olympic team.
And other sports arent tested half as much or as strictly as pro cycling is.

He is an american professional basketball player, and should be held to the same standard as an american professional cyclist.

I believe a lot of cyclists have been banned in the sport that will never make it to the olympics, look at all the amateur/masters riders that were banned this year, they arent olympics bound but are handed 2 year bans

I am not arguing about the length of the bans, but the lack of fairness in sporting sanctions. Where OJ mayo just sits out a couple games, when a cyclist gets a 2 year ban when they test positive for the same thing.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Wish we still had a Mayo.

The US sports (baseball, basketball, football) seem to be the only ones where the bans are so light. Compared to European ones anyway.

I could be wrong on this, but arent futbol/soccer bans pretty light also?

They don't happen very often, and I don't hear about them because I don't follow football anymore, but I remember a few years back people getting year bans for nandrolone. I posted a list of players a while back actually.

Edit: Oh here it is - http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=254525&highlight=nandrolone#post254525

Ah, a few got 1 year+, but most did 4 months.

Looking from the outside, cycling is a lot better than most sports regarding doping bans. Though we all know about the corruption etc. so it doesn't seem quite so great. I suppose other sports must have the same problems but are better at sweeping it all under the rug.

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
titleshot said:
You seem to be missing my point, basketball is an olympic sport, it doesnt matter if a player in the pros will never get selected for the olympic team.
And other sports arent tested half as much or as strictly as pro cycling is.

He is an american professional basketball player, and should be held to the same standard as an american professional cyclist.

I believe a lot of cyclists have been banned in the sport that will never make it to the olympics, look at all the amateur/masters riders that were banned this year, they arent olympics bound but are handed 2 year bans

I am not arguing about the length of the bans, but the lack of fairness in sporting sanctions. Where OJ mayo just sits out a couple games, when a cyclist gets a 2 year ban when they test positive for the same thing.

I understand your point. We simply don't live in a world of uniformity. There are different laws in different counties, and different rules in different sports.

stainlessguy1 said:
My fellow friends and athletes: If you all think doping is a disgusting way to win then the solution is simple .

No... there is No simple solution, and anyone who believes that there is not well informed on the scope of the problem.

By comparison to most other sports, the penalties in cycling are draconian for minor infractions like DHEA. I take it daily. I buy it at GNC, not through some clandestine channel. As a Masters athlete it aids my recovery, but no more than eating well and getting enough sleep. There needs to be some rational scale that for doping in cycling that doesn't impose that same punishment for HGH and EPO as it does for DHEA or Caffeine.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
DHEA does nothing, except maybe increase estrogen and maybe make you more prone to hair loss. Honestly, I don't care if my competition takes 100 DHEA pills a day, since it will do nothing for them, and maybe actually hurt performance.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
No... there is No simple solution, and anyone who believes that there is not well informed on the scope of the problem.

By comparison to most other sports, the penalties in cycling are draconian for minor infractions like DHEA. I take it daily. I buy it at GNC, not through some clandestine channel. As a Masters athlete it aids my recovery, but no more than eating well and getting enough sleep. There needs to be some rational scale that for doping in cycling that doesn't impose that same punishment for HGH and EPO as it does for DHEA or Caffeine.

While that seems logical it's been pretty well established that DHEA is a standard follow up to other steriod regimes and is banned accordingly.
The point of the thread is to explore your opinion and others. Since we cyclists tend to be very opinionated it begs the question about standards of enforcement we'd all like to see.
It's clear the relative monetary revenue of various sports has something to do with "enforcement". So should the relative risk exposure to atheletes, assuming the governors of those sports even really care beyond bad publicity whether someone gets hurt or worse. The NFL is getting very tough on head injuries because they are a serious, documented risk and represent a huge publicity problem. EPO deaths to young cyclists brought that risk to the fore in Pro racing, HGH has various long term risks. Banning seemingly minor drugs with no apparent aid to the athelete doesn't sound sensible but knowing that those minor drugs are part of a larger doping program does. Do we want that standard or defer to the apparent broader view of enforcement shared by other sports?

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:

OH Dear : my apologies , yes as a masters athlete it aids your recovery . ???
Well then Dear Chap , may i suggest a beer after your ride . Sortof what the rest of us masters use these days . Unless of course some of you still have something to prove by beating recovering surgery patients and the like of all that ails the masters categories .
Yes yes our recoveries take longer with age ,, but then what is driving us we can take a day off . right .
If we havent done it by now , then just what kind of glory are we all looking for? ( YOu do mean recovery after a ride , not recovery after medical procedures right ? ) Myself I like to throw an extra fishing day in there if the chase got too hard and yes lots of beer too . lol .
:cool:
Just one more thing , as a master / veteran , i guess the other master veterans have the same problem then . So wouldnt it be logical that if no one took aids to recovery that eveyones recovery would be slower and everyone would be on an even keel again the next day ? Only slower . yes .
So lets party on dudes . Beer wins !
:D

markrosen said:
What you need to understand is Pro sports such as Basketball, as well as Baseball & Football here in the States are seen as entertainment in the eyes of the Team Owners...
Precisely. This is about money, money, and more money from entertainment folks. There has also been proof in the past, and strong suspicion that many NBA games have been rigged. Plus silent encouragement by the league itself to benefit big-market, high-profile teams and players, in order to maximize profits.

disagree

Berzin said:
Some of you guys sound crazier than the Armstrong apologists.

The FDA is not allowed to regulate the lucrative supplement industry. This means they can either put or not put whatever they want in their products and not have to list things like the illegal substances, rat droppings or sawdust.

Yet if someone takes a protein shake and tests positive, it's the athletes' fault for putting the stuff in his body.

This is the height of stupidity.

For the next 10 games, I will not put Mayo on my sandwiches in sympathy.

-Part of the burden of being a Pro athlete is managing what you are ingesting. Don't want to do that? Then retire. It's a privilege to be a pro athlete.
-What are the chances run-of-the-mill protein powder has a banned substance in it? None. Where these athlete invariably get tripped up is by consuming weight lifting/lifestyle supplements with who-knows-what in them.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
-Part of the burden of being a Pro athlete is managing what you are ingesting. Don't want to do that? Then retire. It's a privilege to be a pro athlete.

oh wow , its a privilege to drive , its a privilege to own a house ,its a privilege to have a job , its a privilege to pay tax , its a privilege to live here , its a privilege to be a pro athlete and become privileged to be a human guinea pig . mmmm mmmm i guess the needs of the many out way the needs of the few . You are privileged to ride at the front of the peloton so coach says to do this; if you want to belong . mmm mmm mmm . Where have i heard this before .:cool:

TRENDING THREADS