• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Need a cyclocross bike recommendation.

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Live in Boulder, CO.
Selling my mtn bike and buying a cyclocross bike for this winter.
Currently ride a Specialized Tarmac on the road.
2000 mi/year, mostly climbing.
Riding road for 3 years.
Not looking to race, but like to suffer and looking forward to exploring dirt road rides up in the foothills this winter. Any recommendations?

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I just bought a Cannondale CX9 frame and had a Campagnolo Centaur build-up done on it. I really like it. Last year of US manufacture for the Cannondale.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TheDude said:
I just bought a Cannondale CX9 frame and had a Campagnolo Centaur build-up done on it. I really like it. Last year of US manufacture for the Cannondale.
Heartily endorse the recommendation of getting a CX9 - and also for kitting it out with Campag. I bought an X6 last year - the Tiagra equipped CX9 - and have given it a real battering since. It was raced, used as a winter commuter, used as a roadie and as the type of "adventure bike" that you're talking about. It has handled everything really well - and at C$1000 or thereabouts is great value.

Another good thing if you're wanting to use it as a bike to explore back roads is that Cannondale put both water bottle bosses and fender/rack screw mounts on the frame and fork. Not sure why - but you'll even see the same thing on the pros' race bikes. Anyhow, for what you're after, it'll give you heaps of flexibility if say you wanted to go overnight camping or something ...

The 'dale has a great ride. I was comparing it to a Specialized and the 'dale wins hands down. I also found it better than Stevens, Felt, Norco and Kona. Of course, this is intensely personal - so my comments may not hold for you.

Oh, and apparently enough of us complained about Cannondale moving all production offshore and the aluminium bikes are going to stay with being produced in the US - or at least so says my local Cannondale dealer. :)

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth, I'm loving the sh!t out of my Specialized Tricorss. It's an incredibly well-thought-out, well-spec'd bike. Rides like a dream. Roadbikereview.com has more positive reviews. Check it out.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Fonzie:

If you're not planning to do any actual 'cross racing/riding or trail work and only plan on exploring the dirt roads up high, you may also want to consider something more road oriented that has sufficient clearance for 28c tires. Most of the unpaved roads up there are still in pretty good condition and something with more road-like geometry and weight might be more to your liking based on your description.

Otherwise there are a lot of good CX bikes out there right now, depending on your budget. Have you checked to see what's available at your local shops yet? Would probably be best for you to see what's accessible and then narrow down your options from there.

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
thanks

wow...this is all great information. Keep it coming! I will definitely take a look at the Cannondale - and certainly like the fact that it is still made in the US.

I wish I could race, and may just do that this season, if my bad knee can handle it.

I've visited a few shops around town and have a few more to visit....so I'll let you know what I find and if I have any more questions.

You guys are definitely helpful!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I ride a Stevens (Team Ultegra). Nice bike and definitely plenty of fun on the trails. However, other than I enjoy riding my Stevens, I have not ridden any other 'cross bikes to provide either a comparison or other recommendations.

Based on looks alone, the Van Dessel Gin & Trombones and Slingshot DDX are gorgeous bikes. Both are also made in the USA. See http://www.vandesselsports.com/gandt.html and http://www.slingshotbikes.com/bikes/5.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
kiwirider said:
Oh, and apparently enough of us complained about Cannondale moving all production offshore and the aluminium bikes are going to stay with being produced in the US - or at least so says my local Cannondale dealer. :)

Off topic, but I can corroborate: the aluminum Cannondales will continue to be built in the US.

TRENDING THREADS