• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Need New Gloves!

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I was just wondering what gloves people wear. My current gloves are falling apart and im struggling to find a new decent pair. Any suggestions??

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
When it comes to bike clothing, there's Assos, and then everything else. Of course Assos isn't cheap. Of the other brands, my experience is that Castelli looks nice, but doesn't hold up, Rapha is for the titled gentry (and if you're going to pay that much money, you shouldn't buy anything other than Assos), and that Giordana and Capoforma make good, solid affordable bike wear,

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi bubblegum,

What sort of conditions will you be using these in? Winter or summer?

In either case, I've been very impressed with Giro's stuff lately. Great fits, seemingly good quality, legitimately useful features, and a wide range of styles to suit various conditions. At least worth a look if you see them in a shop.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Zeiner make great gloves. Durable and comfortable. Probably helps that all they do is make cycling gloves, rather than being a knicks and jersey company that puts their name on a couple of pairs of gloves to fill in the last half a page of their catalogue.

Mar 11, 2009
www.fiddy.com
Winter gloves

I purchased a pair of 661 Transitions before the US Cyclocross Nationals and was very happy with their performance. The temps were low and my hands we not numb in the cold. While my hands weren't hot they were comfortable enough to brake and shift in the 22 deg F(and lower) weather. I have sensitive hands due to overuse of the keyboard and mouse so I get really achy in the cold. 661 Transitions have a less than bulky feel which is great for road riding and CX.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have 3 pairs of Specialized Body Geometry (fingerless/full finger/windproof - can't remember the model names) - no hand numbness to speak of, even after 4 hours riding and relatively wallet friendly.

not that sexy or bling, admittedly, but they work :)

oh, and a pair of rapha criteriums which are still being broken in.

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
james, only looking at summer gloves at this time of year, living in melbourne the weather problerly wont drop below 20 degrees till winter.

thanks heeps for the suggestions so far guys, ill definatly be checking em out

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The cheapest you can get they will probably last longer.
If they smell dont put them on the table at the Coffee stop.

I got some for $5 from Aldi they have lasted 3 years still going

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
bubblegum said:
james, only looking at summer gloves at this time of year, living in melbourne the weather problerly wont drop below 20 degrees till winter.

can still get pretty cold when i leave for work at 6am out in the West...

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I’m told that your hands swell a little bit when riding so don’t get a pair that‘s too snug in the bike shop. This isn’t like bike shorts where there is significant shrinkage of some body parts when riding.

You can get some excellent bicycle gloves closeout bargains at Bike Nashbar. Some of them are on sale for 50% off.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
James Huang said:
Hi bubblegum,

What sort of conditions will you be using these in? Winter or summer?

In either case, I've been very impressed with Giro's stuff lately. Great fits, seemingly good quality, legitimately useful features, and a wide range of styles to suit various conditions. At least worth a look if you see them in a shop.

Second the Giros. Best LBS gloves I've found.

TRENDING THREADS