• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Neuropathy in hands from mountain biking?

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I'm sure that everyone here has, at some point or another, experienced their hands going to sleep on the bike and having to pull over and shake them out, but I have this problem every 10-15 minutes every time I ride, and I'm hoping someone might have some insight on this.
I now have little to no feeling in my left hand fingers from the second knuckle forward. My concern is that the constant deadening of my hands may have caused permanent nerve damage. I haven't ridden in weeks now (no improvement), and my doctor prescribed me a corticosteroid pack (which did nothing). I have since installed some soft, foam rubber "Fat Paw" grips from Wolf Tooth, but I have yet to test them out.
If any of you have similar experience, any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

FIRST take care of the neuropathy in your hands - don't ride until full feeling resumes. If you do a lot of work with your hands, that might also contribute to the problem.
Consider your diet, do google search for food/vitamins, and also stretch/exercise, that contribute to nerve health.

Reactions: jmdirt
Bike fit (grips too)
Technique

I came to mountain biking from moto so my hands (well entire body) were already destroyed, but I was still young. Now that I'm not young, bike fit, including grips, and technique are important to make sure that riding stays fun.

I tried a lot of grips until I found Ergon 'wing' grips, and they made a big difference for me.
I use these:
But if you need more:

Disclaimer, I am not a neuro doc, but IMO if you still have no feeling after weeks, you have an issue other than pressure on a nerve from riding.

EDIT: Sorry, I had to work! :) Another thing to think about is that hand issues are not always just because of your hands: wrist/carpal, forearm, elbow, tri/bi, delt, shoulder... I know a guy who broke his clavicle and then had hand issues until they discovered a nerve issue in his neck/trap/shoulder from the injury.

more work..

Last edited: