• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Never tested positive

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I was talking to a friend the other day who tried playing the no positive test card as a sign of Lance's innocence. I rattled off a few other "no positive test dopers" off the top of my head, but thought it would make sense to compile a more complete list.

My top of the head list included:

Cycling:
Valverde
Basso
Ulrich
Jaksche
Bartoli

Non-cycling:
Marion Jones
Barry Bonds
Mcgwire
Sosa
Clemens
Pettit

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
saganftw said:
how can be anyone doper if he/she was not tested positive?:rolleyes: its like saying murderer when not found guilty by jury/or judge
(to be fair attempted doping is considered as positive although athlete might be in fact clear)
non analytic positives in WADA statutes.

May 30, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:
how can be anyone doper if he/she was not tested positive?:rolleyes: its like saying murderer when not found guilty by jury/or judge
(to be fair attempted doping is considered as positive although athlete might be in fact clear)

A better analogy is to say murderer when no body has been found, doesn't mean there isn't a body, just that no one has found it.

MarkGreen0

BANNED
May 28, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:
:D that is true,there are only dopers and those who havent been caught yet---which is kinda sad,on the other hand that means that everybody is equal and we can enjoy fair cycling

But riders that are not doping will also not test positive. So not testing positive is not a sign of doping. I know that's obvious but some people almost slip into that way of thinking and use it to back up their assertions that rider X must be doping.

MarkGreen0 said:
But riders that are not doping will also not test positive. So not testing positive is not a sign of doping. I know that's obvious but some people almost slip into that way of thinking and use it to back up their assertions that rider X must be doping.

thats what is this forum for,some ppl can tell you who is doping just by looking into their crystal ball or w/e...its very dangerous way of thinking but its very common,it depends who is your favourite rider so you can bend your bias accordingly

A

Anonymous

isnt the question more who has been banned, or there is clear evidence of guilt, yet they havnt failed a test, millar and basso being prime examples.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
saganftw said:
how can be anyone doper if he/she was not tested positive?:rolleyes: its like saying murderer when not found guilty by jury/or judge(to be fair attempted doping is considered as positive although athlete might be in fact clear)

you mean like OJ simpson? "the glove doesn't fit so you must acquit".

ed rader

TeamSkyFans said:
isnt the question more who has been banned, or there is clear evidence of guilt, yet they havnt failed a test, millar and basso being prime examples.

Confessions = positive though don't they? Also (and I know these don't constitute positives), Millar had phonetaps, and police found vials of Eprex and used syringes in his house..

Also, why are there seemingly endless threads like this? Feels like I could win Mastermind answering questions on the arbitration of doping in cycling.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
saganftw said:

For some reason the name "OJ Simpson" comes to mind when I read this post.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jose Enrique "The Buffalo" Gutierrez

think that Rudy Pevenage told Fuentes in code "the Buffalo needs another feed" lolz. When he wanted another blood bag.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:
Hi BC, can you remind me who "Buffalo" is? Thanks

blackcat said:
Jose Enrique "The Buffalo" Gutierrez

think that Rudy Pevenage told Fuentes in code "the Buffalo needs another feed" lolz. When he wanted another blood bag.

I'm also convinced he had a better program then Basso.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
How about the three Lithuanian U23 riders who under interrogation explained that doping protocols exist where riders can microdose with specific amounts of a number of substances and not test positive? They got busted for possession, not a positive control.