• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Astana Sponsors

A

Anonymous

OK.. so whos it gonna be.. clearly theres going to be one..

so far i have read or heard

from lance "the team bus should have a new name on it by the tour"
and from JB mumblings "we are in discussion with american companies with strong links in khazakstan"

now ive been through the list of companies operating out there with a fine toothcomb.. only one i can find big enough, and america is HP (the printer manunfactures, not that rather fantastic english sauce)

the list of american companies operating over there on the american chamber of commerce site) http://www.amcham.kz/membership

Hp is one of the biggest and already have links with livestrong...
they have been making livestrong branded laptop bags etc etc since way back in 2005 and i beleive have supplied a lot of the tech etc to livestrong

do i win a prize if im right..

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
OK.. so whos it gonna be.. clearly theres going to be one..

so far i have read or heard

from lance "the team bus should have a new name on it by the tour"
and from JB mumblings "we are in discussion with american companies with strong links in khazakstan"

now ive been through the list of companies operating out there with a fine toothcomb.. only one i can find big enough, and america is HP (the printer manunfactures, not that rather fantastic english sauce)

the list of american companies operating over there on the american chamber of commerce site) http://www.amcham.kz/membership

Hp is one of the biggest and already have links with livestrong...
they have been making livestrong branded laptop bags etc etc since way back in 2005 and i beleive have supplied a lot of the tech etc to livestrong

do i win a prize if im right..

HP that's the first time I've heard their name, I guess the background sounds right and they do have enough capital to pull it off.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I didn't quite hear it right as I was in the kitchen making breakfast and I had Eurosport News on and they mentioned something about the Kazakh Government backing the team. I could be wrong though.

Re: fergnago -McDonalds are a sponsor in cycling since they are co-sponsor to the Amore & Vita team (love & life AFAIK to my very basic Italian).

craig1985 said:
Re: fergnago -McDonalds are a sponsor in cycling since they are co-sponsor to the Amore & Vita team (love & life AFAIK to my very basic Italian).

Right - btw: in the past they were sponsored by Beretta. Love, Life and Firearms. Can it get any better? :p

On Topic: HP is probably a good guess, I also heard rumors about them being a co-sponsor with FedEx.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
screaming fist said:
Right - btw: in the past they were sponsored by Beretta. Love, Life and Firearms. Can it get any better? :p

On Topic: HP is probably a good guess, I also heard rumors about them being a co-sponsor with FedEx.

Sponsorship by the NRA IMO.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Whats wrong with the NRA?

The most moronic thing is the notion that somehow, the individual right to bear arms is the only, best way to keep government honest and without it, civilization as we know it will cease to exist.

Now, I honestly don't know if that is the official policy of the NRA or whether that's just an argument of the lunatic fringe.

Anyway, I should admit that I have an NRA sticker on my window next to the main entrance door. My house has never been burglarized.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Seems like finally it will be a happy end to Astana story. All the debts have been paid, however, there is still no information about the mysterious American company operating in Kazakhstan which paid for everything, actually, it is still unknown whether it was that company or Kazakhstani company.

Cobblestones said:
The most moronic thing is the notion that somehow, the individual right to bear arms is the only, best way to keep government honest and without it, civilization as we know it will cease to exist.

Now, I honestly don't know if that is the official policy of the NRA or whether that's just an argument of the lunatic fringe.

Anyway, I should admit that I have an NRA sticker on my window next to the main entrance door. My house has never been burglarized.

Don't force me to start a "Do you carry a gun while riding?" thread...

I support the citizens' right to own guns. It is just that the people who are most vocal about guns are often the same people I feel the least comfortable with the thought of them possessing guns. :)

We really need a "cycling cafe" forum.

Cobblestones said:

I can't think of a single person I've known in my entire lifetime who's had their house burglarized and I doubt I've known many people with NRA stickers on their windows.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Well Jaylew, that is good that you don't know anyone who has been a victim of burglary...not all are so fortunate. I am definitely not a gun nut, but love to shoot, hunt, and I do so with my family. I have NRA stickers on my car...but the sign on my house says "If you trespass here you will be shot...survivors will be shot again!"... Just kidding!! By the way, around my parts I would love to carry a gun while riding...being chased by pit bulls scares the heck out of me and my son!!!

To each his own.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The new sponsor should be an oil company or some of those investment bankers that are driving our US gas prices through the roof again.

I think they have a few million to spare :rolleyes:

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
I can't think of a single person I've known in my entire lifetime who's had their house burglarized and I doubt I've known many people with NRA stickers on their windows.

I don;t know about you but where I live in Jamaica there's a bad area that I pass everyday, actually one day I was riding and somebody knocked me over pushed a gun in my face and then stole my brand new cervelo, I got it back a few days later though.

May 1, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
I don;t know about you but where I live in Jamaica there's a bad area that I pass everyday, actually one day I was riding and somebody knocked me over pushed a gun in my face and then stole my brand new cervelo, I got it back a few days later though.

Perfect sprint training. Ride slowly through a sketchy area, all kitted up. As soon as you see a gun come out - big gear 120% FTP. You'll develop a killer jump.

lostintime said:
The new sponsor should be an oil company or some of those investment bankers that are driving our US gas prices through the roof again.

I think they have a few million to spare :rolleyes:
Oh God. Do we need a Economy lesson now. On the other hand they might have some millions to spare, but not in cycling. They are as conservative as they can get, and cycling is somehow high risk.

TRENDING THREADS