• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Astana vs old Astana: martinelli vs. bruyneel

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The Hog was not at the race today

are you sure vino could not see him anyway ;)

here's how real teamwork works !!!!

Liege-Bastogne-Liege-2010-03-Vinokourov-Contador-348x480.jpg

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Let's give some of the credit for today to Director Sportif Laurenzo LaPage, and to Yvon Sanquer, who is doing Bruyneel's old job. I imagine Martinelli was somewhere taking a well-deserved rest.

Congratulations to Astana on a big eight days - a stage win & overall in a stage race, a win and 10th in a monument, and podium spots in two other classics.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
This year's battle between Astana and Radioshack has gone from head-to-head to foot-to-a$$.

Well said.

So the "gutted" Astana has 6 wins? Team RS has... 1 (I think).

If this was a typical Bruyneel team only interested in the TDF and carrying the favorite rider, no one would care. But without the tour favorite, things are looking shaky to me. I'm sure RS didn't pay JB and LA all that money without expecting some wins.

Man, the pressure is sure on RS for the ToC isn't it?

Moose McKnuckles said:
RadioShack took the diesels and left the Ferraris at Astana.

I still wish Kloden, Horner, Zubeldia, and Paulinho remained with Astana, but you can't blame them for taking the sure money.

I got a rumor about 4 weeks ago but didn't post it because would see it as a rant. However what I heard is that RS will pull out at the end of this year. I believe there will be a replacement.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
RadioShack took the diesels and left the Ferraris at Astana.

I still wish Kloden, Horner, Zubeldia, and Paulinho remained with Astana, but you can't blame them for taking the sure money.

You can't blame anyone for leaving Astana. How ****ed would any of us be if we weren't getting paid for months?

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Of course, if Astana trumps Shack at the Tour it's going to be poetic justice.

I'm not not convinced that Bertie will be overly thrilled with Vino's bodily resurrection, lock stock and barrel. Perhaps he's been to Lourdes? It's a little too emphatic, LOL.:rolleyes: You've gotta be good, but not too "good" when you win after two years away, 36 years old, etc.

Doesn't Alberto have some agreement with Astana that there be no positive tests, or he can get out of his contract? Or is his contract for just a year, and so it doesn't really matter? Is it longer? Anyone know?

r.avens

BANNED
Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
python said:
are you sure vino could not see him anyway ;)

here's how real teamwork works !!!!

Liege-Bastogne-Liege-2010-03-Vinokourov-Contador-348x480.jpg

It works much the same at Radio Shack except the team leader is facing the other way. And Vino would be a little lower.

There is no V or C in 'Team' . Coincidence? Well, yes, actually....:rolleyes:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I have to say this Astana team is lot more of a team then last year's mob, with one disruptive influence and wanting to start his own team and thinking that he is the leader, whereas everybody knows who is the leader of this team is. This year they have gave given more riders an opportunity to prove themselves and have picked up a variety of wins in different of terrain, from Classics, to stage races, one day races, time trials.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Well said.

So the "gutted" Astana has 6 wins? Team RS has... 1 (I think).

If this was a typical Bruyneel team only interested in the TDF and carrying the favorite rider, no one would care. But without the tour favorite, things are looking shaky to me. I'm sure RS didn't pay JB and LA all that money without expecting some wins.

Man, the pressure is sure on RS for the ToC isn't it?

11-5 Astana actually.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I have to say this Astana team is lot more of a team then last year's mob, with one disruptive influence and wanting to start his own team and thinking that he is the leader, whereas everybody knows who is the leader of this team is. This year they have gave given more riders an opportunity to prove themselves and have picked up a variety of wins in different of terrain, from Classics, to stage races, one day races, time trials.

+1
agree 100%

Apr 26, 2010
be.net
hey people. my first post here. i've been checking this forum for quite some time, but today i decided to create an account since i have a lot of time off the bike (i've just broken my elbow :D).

i'd have to agree with the folks that say Astana 2010 is more of a team than in 2009.
to be honest last year's team was more like the cast in this movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320253/
the only one missing from that line-up is Chuck Norris. But the imdb entry must be preety old because everyone knows that he came out of retirement, totally beat the crap out of all his rivals on the road (including that pesky pistolero guy) and finished third on TdF... :D

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:

That's especially true for the Kazakhs. I think it was last year's Giro where he only had one on the squad, even though the arrangement was to have two for the grand tours. This year it looks like the team will be Kazakhs and Italians. They had Pepe Martin, Contador's coach, make up personalized training plans for all the younger guys. They've got them set up to train together in Nice. And except for asking out of Paris-Roubaix this year, they've represented themselves really well.

This is already on the Contador thread, but Zomegnan announced Contador will race the Giro in 2011. I wonder what that means in terms of his team commitment for next year? It would be odd to start announcing a race schedule if he didn't consult with the team. Obviously it will be somewhere without a leader for the Giro.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
That's especially true for the Kazakhs. I think it was last year's Giro where he only had one on the squad, even though the arrangement was to have two for the grand tours. This year it looks like the team will be Kazakhs and Italians. They had Pepe Martin, Contador's coach, make up personalized training plans for all the younger guys. They've got them set up to train together in Nice. And except for asking out of Paris-Roubaix this year, they've represented themselves really well.

This is already on the Contador thread, but Zomegnan announced Contador will race the Giro in 2011. I wonder what that means in terms of his team commitment for next year? It would be odd to start announcing a race schedule if he didn't consult with the team. Obviously it will be somewhere without a leader for the Giro.

And he picked Andriy Zeits as well. He also got in a break in the later part of the race in which Scarponi won his second stage of the race.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
contador is staying with astana I'm certain of that
As much as i'd like this to happen i still have my doubts about that.

After all, things like not paying due salary are bound to leave a very bad aftertaste.

Say, how's that Fernando Alonso project going? And what other projects have expressed interest in Alberto? Quick Step? Garmin?

Garmin could make for a very good support team (i hope AC's manager doesn't read this and wouldn't take it as an advice). Wiggins may object though.
________
Lovely Wendie

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Martinelli has something in his palmares that Bruyneel has never and will never achieve - the coveted Giro-Tour double. With Contador he has another rider capable of achieving that feat.

Salvodeli & Contador Giro
Armstrong & Contador Tour

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
can't recall where i read that martinelli's interview where he compared berto and marco... he basically said that unlike pantani, contador is more open and old-fashioned (dont recall the exact expression). he remarked he is less of a father figure to berto (as he was to pantani) and more like a trusted friend.

why im saying all this ?

i can see martinelli and berto becoming an inseparable union transcending any team they may have happened currently getting their pay from. i see their chemistry as perfectly compatible and given the opportunity i can't imagine martinelli not dreaming of his cherished rider repeating the achievement he had with marco - the giro/tour double in the same year.

TRENDING THREADS