• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Cervelo

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Frame/fork bars and stem are the obvious places to add weight/stiffness. Light wheels are always beneficial. A seatpost would be better if it flexed a little pedals, cranks go round, as long as the group set works, make it light. So why the hell are we bragging over a light frame that, as pointed out, needs weight added to it to race? You could make a frame over a kilo, more comfortable and stiffer and cheaper.

Ah well, its not my money.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
The Frame/fork bars and stem are the obvious places to add weight/stiffness. Light wheels are always beneficial. A seatpost would be better if it flexed a little pedals, cranks go round, as long as the group set works, make it light. So why the hell are we bragging over a light frame that, as pointed out, needs weight added to it to race? You could make a frame over a kilo, more comfortable and stiffer and cheaper.

For the weight wheenies???

I think they even have their own website...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
So why the hell are we bragging over a light frame that, as pointed out, needs weight added to it to race? You could make a frame over a kilo, more comfortable and stiffer and cheaper.

You would be surprised how many people that buy Cervelo's who are not UCI Pro's and don't care about weight limits.

I hear the new Frame is over $9,000. Wow!

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
You would be surprised how many people that buy Cervelo's who are not UCI Pro's and don't care about weight limits.

istockphoto_7861145-happy-dentist.jpg

for example this man. He has a new Cervelo waiting for him at home

A solution to a non existant problem

Here is a solution to a problem that does not exist. Unless your problem is a lack of novel ways to display your material status. This is not for the pro riders, as the bikes will need extra mass to bring up to 6.8kg, it is pure marketing. The pros will toss these after one season, and this will not have to worry about frame failure.

Why not make a 900-1000 gram frame that is durable and has all the ride characteristics that anyone could want. Overbuild it and add in a wider safety margin. A $9000 frame that evaporates during a crash? There has to be a market for great performing frames that are very durable. Anyone who thinks that a few 100 grams matters is delusional and has no understanding of basic physics. The weight saving obsession that has been fuelled by marketing has brain washed too many riders. It is irrational non-sense and all these claims are never backed up with any evidence.

Wow...that was a bit of a rant...sorry.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Of cause its silly, but I bet these same arguements were being trotted out when steel went to aluminium and for carbon fibres introduction.

Of cause the newest lightest frames will be expensive and only for the super rich, but there is some trickle down and no one if forcing anyone to buy the top frames.

If anything it makes the more realistic bikes for us mere mortals cheaper, or at least moves the quality of bikes we aim for up a notch, as for every new top of the range frame that's introduced then the rest of the range gets knocked down a peg.

Plus if theres not a stupidly light, grotesquely expensive new bike/wheels/frame/derailer about to be launched to drool over what will we spend our waking hours doing?

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
miffed said:
Of cause its silly, but I bet these same arguements were being trotted out when steel went to aluminium and for carbon fibres introduction.

Of cause the newest lightest frames will be expensive and only for the super rich, but there is some trickle down and no one if forcing anyone to buy the top frames.

http://testrider.com/fly.aspx?layout=videoindex&taxid=82&cid=60

I think John Neugent makes some good points in this interview. I think his bikes are basically knocked off cervelo soloists or whatever they are calling them now. Especially when he describes how knowledge must be shared by the designers with the factory.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

There seem to be a lot of lawyers at one particular ride I used to attend.

Do they hand out a Serrotta with the Law Degree?

TRENDING THREADS