• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Chinese World Tour Team

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
what Dalian Wanda was aiming to do, until Wang Jianlin fell out of favour with the authorities

how much 'out of favour' did he fall ?

Chinese billionaire Wang Jianlin, owner of the company [Wanda] behind the Tour of Guangxi, is full of ambition after the recent stage race. "We also hope that the Tour of Guangxi will become one of the biggest cycling events in the world alongside the Tour de France", says Wang.

Re: Re:

Tim Booth said:
He was over extended, credit wise. Along with a few other businesses he ran the risk of breaking the Chinese banking system if he failed. So, he was brought in line. Put under house arrest for a time. Now, much of his overseas property empire has been sold. His 20% stake in Atletico Madrid has been sold. There's talk of disposing of the sports arm of the business - mostly traiathlons and other mass participation events but including, through Infront, some bike races - through an IPO.

Pretty much every new entrant to cycling talks of taking on the Tour de France, one way or another. PR is PR, the world over.

ice&fire said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
fmk_RoI said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
If they want to win the TDF in 2025 with a Chinese rider, that guy has to be 17 now at the least.
Your point being ... what?
That they need to start looking at their current crop of 16-20 year olds for their TDF winner. I mean, i'm guessing there isn't anyone among their older riders or we'd have heard of him by now.
1) Get a yuge amount of money
2) Buy out Team Sky's technical staff
3) Manufacture a TDF winner out of thin air
Problem solved
I don't get it, what did these technical staff do that created the TDF champs you feel came out of thin air?

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
Tim Booth said:
He was over extended, credit wise. Along with a few other businesses he ran the risk of breaking the Chinese banking system if he failed. So, he was brought in line. Put under house arrest for a time. Now, much of his overseas property empire has been sold. His 20% stake in Atletico Madrid has been sold. There's talk of
- mostly traiathlons and other mass participation events but including, through Infront, some bike races - through an IPO.

Pretty much every new entrant to cycling talks of taking on the Tour de France, one way or another. PR is PR, the world over.

'owner of the company [Wanda] behind the Tour of Guangxi'
doesn't sound like ' disposing of the sports arm of the business'

Tim Booth said:
You know something, you're right, I'm wrong, never in the whole history of capitalism has a businessman talked up his business ahead of a rumoured IPO. Not even once. What could I have been thinking of, the rumour is clearly wrong.

And Tim - if you're going to quote me, obey the rules and don't edit what I said.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
Tim Booth said:
You know something, you're right, I'm wrong, never in the whole history of capitalism has a businessman talked up his business ahead of a rumoured IPO. Not even once. What could I have been thinking of, the rumour is clearly wrong.

And Tim - if you're going to quote me, obey the rules and don't edit what I said.
Wanda Group dives further into cycling
by CyclingTips October 23, 2018
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/wanda-group-dives-further-into-cycling-phinney-extends-with-ef-drapac-daily-news-digest/

Tim Booth said:
From the CT story:
Through a translator, Sporza’s Reporter Renatte Schotte asked Jianlin if he was interested in becoming an owner of the WorldTour, in partnership with the UCI. Jianlin responded: “Yes, of course. Wanda is a strategic, all-around, long-term partner with the UCI, and we’re committed to making [that partnership] even bigger in the long run.”
The problem is that, while Schotte asked the question about Wanda taking over the World Tour with the UCI, the translator didn't. Wang answered a different question.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
Tim Booth said:
From the CT story:
Through a translator, Sporza’s Reporter Renatte Schotte asked Jianlin if he was interested in becoming an owner of the WorldTour, in partnership with the UCI. Jianlin responded: “Yes, of course. Wanda is a strategic, all-around, long-term partner with the UCI, and we’re committed to making [that partnership] even bigger in the long run.”
The problem is that, while Schotte asked the question about Wanda taking over the World Tour with the UCI, the translator didn't. Wang answered a different question.
so what question did he answer ?

More on the rumours of Wanda disposing of its sports assets, which include some WT races:
Wanda is also considering the sale of its sports marketing firm Infront Sports & Media as well as World Triathlon Corp (WTC) - owner of the Ironman Triathlons - the people said, cautioning the plans are not final and could change.

In December last year, Wanda asked a group of investment banks to look into the potential for listing the sports assets, potentially in Hong Kong.

The group has since received offers for the businesses from a number of private equity firms, including CVC Partners. But Wanda considered the offers too low, according to two of the people, who said the unit could yet push for a listing.
Reuters

Ten months on, let's kick some life into this one, just to give it another kicking.

We know that 23 teams are chasing the 18 or 19 or 20 World Tour licences next year (the 18 existing WT teams plus Arkea, B&B Hotels Vital Concept, Cofidis, Total Direct Energie, Israel Cycling Academy) and that none of them are Tim Kay and Brian Smith and Shane Sutton's Team China in Your Dreams.

We know that everybody who's expressed an interest in a World Tour licence has been linked to Katusha (Israel Cycling Acadamy, Bjarne Riis, Corendon) but nobody has yet managed to get Tim Kay on the record saying he's willing to take on Makarov's basket case of a team, even though he was more than willing to go on the record and say he'd happily take over Sky.

We know that the Global Cycling Project website has disappeared into the ether.

So, can we now officially file this one under "Gosh, how could anyone have been taken in by this nonsense!" or is it just a sleeping dragon?

I don't know why cyclingnews and other media even gave them a platform. Was NEVER going to happen.
True, the cycling media did drink the Kool Aid here, but then they tend to always drink the Kool Aid when it comes to financial stories, a subject none of them seem to understand. But, in fairness to Cyclingnews, they did atleast follow up the initial questioning-free reporting with the jolly jape of getting Kay to go on the record and say he'd be willing to take over Sky from Brailsford. That was funny. Also, one only has to scoll back a little bit on this thread to see some Forumites swilling the Kool Aid and even predicting who the eventual sponsor would be. So it's not just journalists (and Brian Smith and Shane Sutton) who fell for this one.

TRENDING THREADS