• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Danish WT race for 2025: Copenhagen Sprint

Rutekort%201350x1080_1.jpg

It will take place in the weekend two weeks before the Tour next year, same slot as the finish of Tour de Suisse. The women's race will be 160 km long and on the Saturday, while the men's race will be 230 long and on the Sunday. It has been secured for three years as a WT race.

The route is practically dead-flat for the pros. It starts in Roskilde like stage 2 of the 2022 Tour de France and ends in Copenhagen with a 10 km city circuit done 3 times for the women and 5 times for the men. The circuit is done clock-wise.

The finalised route will be presented next year.

During Suisse, Belgium and Slovenia? I guess they're gonna make some of them move cause no sprinter will be going to Denmark for 1 day for a possible crashfest to prepare the Tour.

I guess Giro sprinters that aren't doing the double could go, but I fear this will be Frankfurt like (at least in the past), easy WT points for C tier sprinters.

Last edited:
Nice to have a proper sprint WT race, but timing is a bit odd. Might be good to have top sprinters there, close to their best level, but do teams dare to go all out with the risk of injuries.
We already have Brugge-De Panne and the Cyclassics in Hamburg. We really didn't need a nailed-on WT one-day sprint in addition to two likely ones. It's also been placed in an already-congested portion of the calendar.

During Suisse, Belgium and Slovenia? I guess they're gonna make some of them move cause no sprinter will be going to Denmark for 1 day for a possible crashfest to prepare the Tour.

I guess Giro sprinters that aren't doing the double could go, but I fear this will be Frankfurt like (at least in the past), an easy WT points for C tier sprinters.
It will make it more attractive for sprinters to ride Dauphiné.

What do I know, I'm just a stranger posting on the internet, but wouldn't it be better to position this classic around the days of Post Danmark Rundt, maybe with a hillier course, to create synnergies that would lead to a strengthened peloton in both races?

Reactions: search
What do I know, I'm just a stranger posting on the internet, but wouldn't it be better to position this classic around the days of Post Danmark Rundt, maybe with a hillier course, to create synnergies that would lead to a strengthened peloton in both races?
"a hillier course"?! This is Denamrk we're talking about here. The highest point in Denmark is the control tower at Kastrup, so unless we get a new "rubbish hill" (VAM-berg) or Monte Testaccio, it's going to be a bunch sprint.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan