• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Forum! Feedback thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think you're right, I tried it again and it does work. So that's good, althought not as good as before where it took you to the last unread post I think. But it's better than having to manually go to the last post. A very useful thing for mobile pages would be to have a page selector at the top and the bottom, in stead of just the bottom. That would help massively.

I think you're right, I tried it again and it does work. So that's good, althought not as good as before where it took you to the last unread post I think. But it's better than having to manually go to the last post. A very useful thing for mobile pages would be to have a page selector at the top and the bottom, in stead of just the bottom. That would help massively.
Last unread post is by clicking the thread title. However, the old "unread values" are (presumably) lost.

The quote button is for multiple quotes. It sort of a copy/paste for quoting and you'll get an insert quote button on reply.
Ah, so you just hit reply, and the quote comes up. Then what's the point of the quote button?

TEST of Multiple Posts, Please Ignore. It works :)

But I couldn't find a way to Not Post it. I was happy with the preview; it did what I wanted so there was No Need to really post it.

How does one NOT post a message once it is created?

I have turned off the whole "appear online" thing. However, I can still see the "Online now" symbol on top of my avatar, and I don't know whether that's intended or whether the setting is simply not working. I would suggest removing the symbol if you've said you don't want to appear online - you already know if you yourself are online and it only creates confusion.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
still got the login issues - need to reload the page several times until the site recognize i'm logged in. some messages do pop out like "u are already logged in" or "security issue, please refresh"...

That definitely shouldn't be happening, so we'd like to help. Can you try using a differet web browser than normal to login? That'll test to see if it's a cached date issue with the old forums.

Basically, using a new browser that hasn't logged into the site before will let you confirm if the login process is working as it should. If that does help, then clear the browser cache and cookies from your primary browser and that should clear it up.

If not, call it out and we'll need to look into it further.

You can now also highlight the element of text you are directly replying to and a dialogue will pop up, giving you a reply option that will quote just the relevant part of the comment (I haven't worked out what the other option, Quote, does, probably summons Satan). Previously you had to manually edit code a bit to quote succinctly, which I do accept was sometimes a bit of a palaver, especially on mobile/tablets when quoting from a mega-response.

Ah, yeah. On a laptop, I never had much trouble editing out parts of posts I didn't want to quote, but on a cell phone it is a major hassle. So this is a big help for mobiles.

With regard to the quote button, someone upstream said it worked as a copy/paste. If you hit the quote button, that entire post will be copied, then you can paste it into the Post Reply box by clicking on insert quote, bottom left. For a single quote, this has the same effect as just hitting reply to that post, but it takes a bit longer.

The advantage is that you can quote as many posts as you want at one time, and insert them all. However, if you quote more than one post, and hit insert quote, you get a list which allows you to remove any of the quotes first. You will also see all the quotes buttons highlighted on all the posts that you have quoted. If you're satisfied with the list, then you hit Quote Messages, a button on the bottom of that list, and all the quotes will be pasted into the Post Reply box. I don't think this works with highlighted portions of a post, only the entire post?

Last edited:
Reactions: fmk_RoI
Still getting used to it. But initially I think the body of the text is too narrow. Too much space on left and right and not enough in the middle of the page. Mobile will likely take even longer to adjust to. I like the addition of a like button for posts. Long overdue. :neutral:

That definitely shouldn't be happening, so we'd like to help. Can you try using a differet web browser than normal to login? That'll test to see if it's a cached date issue with the old forums.

Basically, using a new browser that hasn't logged into the site before will let you confirm if the login process is working as it should. If that does help, then clear the browser cache and cookies from your primary browser and that should clear it up.

If not, call it out and we'll need to look into it further.
Just tried with diff browser (firefox this time, before it was with chrome) - same behavior.
I can also reproduce the bug like this: when I am logged in and browsing some thread (no matter which one) and then when I click "Forums" button on the left sidebar or "Forum list" on the top middle the site immediately changes and looks like I am not logged in. Then clicking on the login button again gives me one of the two messages mentioned earlier (the one saying I am already logged in or the one saying the security issue occurred, please refresh the page).

EDIT: tried few other things: disabling ublock doesn't help, changing theme doesn't help neither.

EDIT2 (10.8.): seems that issue is gone. hopefully for good. thx.

Last edited:
I only have one very minor issue with the new forum:

It would be nice if the pages buttons were also present on the top of the page on the mobile version, so you don't have to scroll excessively.

Otherwise, I like it. Visually, it's much more pleasing in spite of the continued purpleness, especially on the mobile version.

The addition of the like buttons seems a bit like a gimmick and not absolutely necessary but I don't see it doing anything bad for the site either, and it's a bit fun.

But I must say it's a bit scandalous that the moderators can like their own posts, as is evident by the fact that Red Rick is second on the like scoreboard only trailing another admin :p

https://forum.cyclingnews.com/members/?key=highest_reaction_score

TRENDING THREADS