• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Jersey color for the Tour de France

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
In light of the doping scandal that has just transpired and, I believe, this is the 100 year anniversary of the Tour de France, what are your thoughts on there being a brand new/different color for the leader of the Tour? I think keeping the other jersey colors would be fine, but get rid of the yellow!! Yes? No?

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of it not just because a doper wore it, but because LA made the color yellow so predominant with him that starting a new color would be a sign of the hoped for change in this new era of cycling. I can always hope, right? :) Thanks for your replies!

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
I do not consider a French tradition going back to 1919 should be abandoned because of one errant and arrogant US rider.

First awarded in 1919, the leader's jersey is yellow because the race was then organised by the L'Auto newspaper which was printed on paper of the same colour.

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The suggestion is the wrong way around.
ASO should be demanding that livewrong (in all it's guises) stop using yellow references.
I doubt they'll have to though; I expect a re-branding exercise will happen pretty quickly.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
During Lance Armstrong's reign...."the seven year farce"(Good title for a book)....all those Yellow Jersey's that he donned now mean nothing. But the color Yellow matches his personality. All the lies, cheating and bullying is the only Yellow you could attribute to Armstrong. After all, lying and cheating are the biggest forms of cowardice.

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Good morning! (from my area of the world--I do not mean this sarcastically)

Thank you for reminding me of the great history on which the jersey got its start. I understand then why changing the color dishonors its origin. I also agree with the posters who suggest the organizations associated with Liestrong change their colors. And HECK NO!! to Snooki!! Gag!! :eek: (That did make me laugh however)

May I then propose a new look to the jersey--same color but with some French flair? (I mean this with the utmost respect to the French) Since the TdF is the most popular race this "new look" would maybe indicate a visible change of where the sport is wanting to go. Again, I say we can hope for a change right?

Just my thoughts this morning! Have a great day! :)

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
CyclingAngel said:
I was thinking of it not just because a doper wore it, but because LA made the color yellow so predominant with him that starting a new color would be a sign of the hoped for change in this new era of cycling. I can always hope, right? :) Thanks for your replies!
Lance Armstrong is not the Tour. The yellow jersey was around a long, long time before him and will be a long, long time after he's been forgotten.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
What needs to happen is for Livestrong and Lance to stop using the color yellow. I'm tired of the way he acts like he owns the color, jsut like he owns the disease.

TRENDING THREADS