• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Jerseys - 2022 Season - TeamKits-Maillots-Tricots-Tenues

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No?

It's a plethora of uninspiring designs.

When they don't change their kit, it's wrong, and when they do, it's wrong too.

I guess it's not the same people who complain about both, though.

I really don't see what's wrong with kits like Ineos, Movistar, BikeExchange, FDJ female, Jumbo, Bahrain for example.

Thinking back, people criticised the old Movistar kit too when that was introduced in 2018 even though that was brilliant.

I think a lot has to do with getting used to the kits.

The BEX kit looks like the Liberty Seguros/Astana crossover we never got... until now.

The women's kit look quite good though (IMO).

FIKhw7lWUAQbXB6

Last edited:
When they don't change their kit, it's wrong, and when they do, it's wrong too.

I guess it's not the same people who complain about both, though.

I really don't see what's wrong with kits like Ineos, Movistar, BikeExchange, FDJ female, Jumbo, Bahrain for example.
Well the fact you don't see it doesn't mean everybody shouldn't see it. That's exactly what personal taste is about. You like things that others don't.
To me for example the BikeExchange kit is terrible, I hated Gerolsteiner and I don't think that bringing back such a displeasing combination of colors has any sense in 2022.
Bora destroyed a very cool kit. QS is very unispiring compared to previous years.
Movistar and Ineos are cool, but that doesn't mitigate the fact three teams got a lot worse than last year.

I understand the constant complaining can be tiresome, but sometimes the complainers have a point. It's not just for the sake of it.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Well the fact you don't see it doesn't mean everybody shouldn't see it. That's exactly what personal taste is about. You like things that others don't.
To me for example the BikeExchange kit is terrible, I hated Gerolsteiner and I don't think that bringing back such a displeasing combination of colors has any sense in 2022.
Bora destroyed a very cool kit. QS is very unispiring compared to previous years.
Movistar and Ineos are cool, but that doesn't mitigate the fact three teams got a lot worse than last year.

I understand the constant complaining can be tiresome, but sometimes the complainers have a point. It's not just for the sake of it.

It's also the moving of goalposts that's annoying. One year, a new kit is supposedly terrible when it's introduced, then apparently it gets okay, and when it's changed it's terrible because the kit stood out in the peloton.

I know I'm not the most fashion-oriented person in the world, so I wouldn't presume to be an expert on this and cannot talk for others, but some times I just wonder why people feel the need to complain about everything all the time. I have the same thoughts of plenty of my colleagues.

I just then choose to complain about people complaining, and here we are ;)

It's also the moving of goalposts that's annoying. One year, a new kit is supposedly terrible when it's introduced, then apparently it gets okay, and when it's changed it's terrible because the kit stood out in the peloton.

I know I'm not the most fashion-oriented person in the world, so I wouldn't presume to be an expert on this and cannot talk for others, but some times I just wonder why people feel the need to complain about everything all the time. I have the same thoughts of plenty of my colleagues.

I just then choose to complain about people complaining, and here we are ;)

I think much of it comes from the fact that there is always someone who's not okay with a design, one time it's person a, next person b, next person c, but to you then it looks like "whatever they do, people are just complaining". But I really think the only good kits I've seen so far is the AG2R one, which is basically the same as last season, which is fine for me since I really liked it, and the Movistar one, which is really good. Quickstep is uninspired but at least not outright plain - I guess the lack of the lidl-logo helps here. The others are all downgraded from last season, sometimes only a bit, like Bahrain or Lotto, sometimes significantly, like Bora or Jumbo or BikeExchange (which is outright plain); and there is no inspired new design at all so far. The UAE one was boring, stays boring. I'm talking about men's WT kits here, since I mostly watch the races they do.

But I guess in general I'm more critical of kit designs than of route designs.

Why? It's maybe not subtle, but it's not in your face either, whilst still clearly signalling that it's two different jerseys and which is which.

because its annoying, pink it & shrink it has been a affliction of the bike industry for far too long, and is such a gender normative stereotype thing, its 2022 ffs arent we beyond that nonsense by now. Trek showed how you can produce kits for both womens and mens team to the same design and signal the differences, and the womens kit is blue.

it wouldnt have been so bad if theyd gone back to an update of the old Jayco kit style of the Adelaide sunset colours with the pinks & reds fading into the blue that would have made some sense. But this is literally oh just stick some "pink" (they claim its aubergine) on it, and pretend it matches the Liv brand (it doesnt).

I used to like the Gerolsteiner kit, but I really dont like this, I know BEX were accused of being boring last year but Id prefer boring than this.

BEx mens kit is boring but the more colourful womens kit is really nice.

Also they can fk right off with their blue for boys pink for girls stuff

You have to complain to Giant/Liv about that, cause blue and purple (though BEX call it aubergine by mistake) are the colours of the two different brands.

A bit sad that no big teams will be riding on Bianchi bikes this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: slatanic
I think the QS kits and the new Jumbo kits have the same problem: they didn't really see how awkward the kits would look on a front-on shoulders-first view, which is one of the most common ways we see kits. Last year's Jumbo kits looked great head-on, they look far less inspiring this year.

Reactions: noob
because its annoying, pink it & shrink it has been a affliction of the bike industry for far too long, and is such a gender normative stereotype thing, its 2022 ffs arent we beyond that nonsense by now. Trek showed how you can produce kits for both womens and mens team to the same design and signal the differences, and the womens kit is blue.

it wouldnt have been so bad if theyd gone back to an update of the old Jayco kit style of the Adelaide sunset colours with the pinks & reds fading into the blue that would have made some sense. But this is literally oh just stick some "pink" (they claim its aubergine) on it, and pretend it matches the Liv brand (it doesnt).

I used to like the Gerolsteiner kit, but I really dont like this, I know BEX were accused of being boring last year but Id prefer boring than this.
It’s 2022 and everything that reflects gender differences is accused of being normative.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Is blue the "Giant colour" I dont ever remember them having a brand colour

It's the colour of the letters in their current logo, but they have of course used both black and white variations as well over the years.
Jayco also appears to be using blue a lot, so that might have played a part, too.

Giant and Liv are obviously not title sponsors though, so I assume BEX could easily have asked Alé to design both similar kits or kits that didn't have much blue or purple on them at all, if they had wished to. And I for one wouldn't have had a problem with the men wearing purple either, as long as it isn't too reminiscent of the 1992/93 Fiorentina away kit ;)