• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New site design: Post all feedback here

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 14, 2019
Visit site
I used to check Cyclingnews on a daily basis for years on end, I don't even remember how many years and i've seen a couple of revamps over the years. But this is a terrible one. I don't particulary come here for the news, i tend to watch the races or follow them one way or another. Why i did come to Cyclingnews is for the simple reason that I wanted to read in-depth pieces analysing the races and then scroll down to the comments under the articles to see what fellow fans thought of the article, the race and everything around it. Without the comment section underneath the articles i don't feel compelled to return to CN as much as i used to. I can read the news elsewhere, I've got twitter and at least 5 other websites for that. It's the comment section that needs to return, please.

And what's with all the white everywhere? In this day and age people like to have the option of a dark-theme/light-theme. This is extremely light, it quite honestly doesn't make it pleasant to read on here.

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi @Nemainy - thank you for your feedback. Dark theme is in the works for a future iteration, and the comments section will improve - unfortunately it's a issue between Taboola and Disqus that requires a different level of subscription so we have to bump it up the management chain.

Regarding comments, there is a shortcut near the share icons at the top of the page - it loads later than the icons so give it a moment. That will direct you to the comments. Often the Taboola ads will swarm that area while the page loads, but if you do a find in the page "comment policy" and you'll go right to the comments.

We appreciate everyone's patience while we continue to improve the experience for our readers on this new platform and we honestly value your feedback so please keep the constructive comments coming.

Laura

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
The CN live ticker page used to remain on the spot I leave my page/curser whenever it updates (i.e. - at the top). Now, if I don't check it for awhile, I'll come back and find it on the bottom of the page - the first post, a bit of a PITA to have to always bring the page back up to the spot of the latest updates. Firefox on Mac.

Hi @dusty red roads - we are aware of the live reloading issue and are working on a fix. Thank you for the feedback.

Reactions: dusty red roads
Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
As many people, I have been checking this on a daily for as long as I can recall. Was very easy to have a quick look at the latest result or browsing the news quickly. But I find it rather difficult to go so now. I find the font really too big and a bit too much things on the front page to have a quick read. Also it seem that a lot of results are not posted anymore? Did you move them somewhere else?

Not sure if it belongs here or not but in the "Live cycling" - you post the time, the race action but not always the KMs remaining in the race. It's hard to gauge the race if you how much of racing is left. The previous live section always had KM remaining.

Overall really like the improvements to this section. Social media posts when relevant always a plus.

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I read Cyclingnews every day and have been for a very long time. I find this new format so bad in so many ways that I've searched for other options for the latest stories and news. Seriously, pls revert to the previous version. BTW, this is my first post on this site. I could not remain silent on this topic.

Re the CN homepage. Any idea of when you'll solve this?

Look at the news items on it currently:

Ganna Sets New Individual Pursuit World Record
Trentin Hopes To Form Quickstep Style Partnership With Van Avermaet
Kwiatkowski My Body Was Yelling For Recovery
Cancellara Excited By New Generation Of Evenepoel Bernal Van Der Poel

Beside that we get another news block, which immediately repeats two of the previous headlines:

Nocentini Confirms Retirement
Pidcock Eager To Test Himself Against Van Der Poel Iserbyt At European Championships
Bohorquez Extends With Astana After Injury Hit Debut Season

Further down the page we get a third news block with yet more repeats, this time five of the nine stories:

Rochette Wins Elite Women's Race At Canadian Cyclo-Cross Championships
Michael Van Den Ham Defends Elite Men's Canadian Cyclo-Cross Title
Nocentini Confirms Retirement
Pidcock Eager To Test Himself Against Van Der Poel Iserbyt At European Championships
Walls Wins Men's Omnium, Karaliok Wins Scratch Race
Why The Wattbike Atom Is Your Perfect Year Round Partner
Bohorquez Extends With Astana After Injury Hit Debut Season

If an item is in one news block it surely doesn't need repeating in each of the other two blocks? It's a small homepage, your readers are not goldfish, they can remember.

Re the CN homepage. Any idea of when you'll solve this?
Also, the race results.

First race in the block: the Tour de France. Which, if my admittedly weak memory serves me correctly, ended several months ago.
Second race? The Giro d'Italia. Which finished before the Tour started.
Third, fourth and fith items? Current results! Which, surely, should be first, second, and third?

If you need to make the Tour and the Giro (but not the Worlds and the Vuelta?) sticky, make them stick at the base of the block. But given they're already prominently stick in the bar at the top fo the page, why they need to be distracting from current race results isn't clear.

I'm a bit too polite to just call the whole new site crap but one issue has been bugging me for a while:

And that's the fact that there for some reason needs to be a million trillion links with thumbnails to different random news both from this site and completely random other media on every article, both over and under the comments section, which makes it quite a heroic performance to actually locate this.

That seems very unprofessional and is only getting worse.

Reactions: Koronin
As a UX designer, I'm pretty adaptible with new designs, but this:

1EBnxor.png

Is at the least executed poorly. I'm not sure if the arrows are meant to be there in a case where there are eventually more tabs (or longer text strings) than will fit in the column? If so, I'd say give the design another hard thought, this is a bad way to think about scaling. You don't need to label tabs with "Jump To". We get what tabs do and it's taking the width of another tab. Vertical spacing is clearly a mess. If you must use this component, at least hide the scrolling arrows when they're disabled. That said, there are other solutions out there, like a combobox if you need to link to more than 4 tabs. Understand the potential localization issues, and to me that points even more to a combobox or some other standard, actually scalable solution.

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
you have entered a new phase of censoring comments..This began in the new year. Why the censorship? Many of my posts are benign and no worse than what others write.

What has changed the last few weeks

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
You have 2 posts on these forums and joined yesterday, so I'm assuming this is an admission that this is a sockpuppet account?
I had to look up what a Sockpuppet account is! no, I am real. The posts are in the comments section of the articles section on the main website.

I like that word: sockpuppet...I suppose it is better than burner account..is burner a North American word and sockpuppet, European?

Anyhow..you are censoring. I read many others who are claiming the same..The irony is; the posts are either benign or ....well, I guess I have my own answer 'different than your views' ....hey, your site, your rules.. Okay.

Hey, back to this sockpuppet..are you really "King Boonen"..Your parents called you King? I suppose, many are called Prince..and there is a Queen Latiffa. Trump named his kid Barron..So, King is good.

Thanks for the reply King.

I had to look up what a Sockpuppet account is! no, I am real. The posts are in the comments section of the articles section on the main website.

I like that word: sockpuppet...I suppose it is better than burner account..is burner a North American word and sockpuppet, European?

Anyhow..you are censoring. I read many others who are claiming the same..The irony is; the posts are either benign or ....well, I guess I have my own answer 'different than your views' ....hey, your site, your rules.. Okay.

Hey, back to this sockpuppet..are you really "King Boonen"..Your parents called you King? I suppose, many are called Prince..and there is a Queen Latiffa. Trump named his kid Barron..So, King is good.

Thanks for the reply King.
Ah ok, sorry, I thought I was answering a question with regard to the forum.

The moderation team here has no control over the comments sections on the website, so I can't help you there. I tend not to read them much and hardly ever post in them.

Sultan translates to King (depending on how you translate it) so it's a pretty common name.

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
You are at the right place, Beech, but I am not convinced that those who set up this thread for exactly the purpose you are trying to use it still monitor it. Maybe @SHaines can address it.
their world. This is will be deleted soon, so I hope you get a chance to read it. If unhappy, you can start your own site. There is censorship everywhere. You should see sites for team sports/leagues, way worse.

I very much doubt that will be deleted. I am unsure as to why you think that my response to what seemed to be a genuine request for an explanation was some sort of appeal against censorship.

I have no need to start my own site, as I have no difficulty acting within the norms that make for civil discussion.

TRENDING THREADS