• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New site design: Post all feedback here

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
I had the new design for a few hours this morning.

I had it in my sights again today as well, but for no more than one click. :confused:

How, or why, is it that the format changes so randomly? I'm not too clear on the intent of the design team here.

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
Hi Granville, the new site is still only for a small percentage of users on desktop. I understand that it's frurstating if it flips between the two. We should have that sorted in the coming weeks as we turn the site on for more users....

Dan

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The beta version is, once again, visible to me.

I just pursued the photo gallery for the Aussie Nats, and it seems to work pretty well. :)

However, I would still suggest making the expanded version of the photos larger, if possible. When clicking on the 4-way arrow, the pics don't really seem to get much bigger. It mostly seems to just eliminate the surrounding visual clutter, which is good, but doesn't enlarge the pics as much as I was expecting.

More importantly though, it appears that Dan Benson has updated his personal photo.

Looking very suave on the bike, Dan, with an almost Cancellara-like sense of cool. :cool:

img_4542_490.jpg

_yngve_ said:
I find the mobile version almost unusable on an Iphone 5/Safari:

-The purple dropdown menu makes it impossible to view images in landscape
-Images do not display properly in portrait
-The "Related Articles" links are of absolutely no use, and by placing them at the top of the article instead of the bottom, do little but add confusion
-The endless "More Stages" list on the main page makes navigating to areas of interest ("Tech"; "Features") difficult
-"Don't Miss" links to stories several months old
-No discernable way to go back to desktop view

Truthfully, I prefer the old mobile site.

Works great on my Iphone 5. Maybe op error is the problem?

Finally.

For those asking, there is no way to go back to desktop as it is a responsive site.

The image sliders / galleries have never worked for me on the old version, so a fix there is welcome.

good work!

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
We're hoping it'll be rolled out to everyone in the not-too-distant future once that we're happy with how it performs and happy that bugs have been weeded out.

Sorry that it's a bit of a vague answer, but really it is just down to that. :]

Jspear said:
One problem I see with the mobile site. I'm using Google chrome with Android 4.4.

When I first load the website you can see the top banner with the menu option which leads to the forum.

2015-01-22-10-25-40.png

Once I've been on the front page for several seconds I lose the banner and can't reach the forums from the front page.

2015-01-22-10-23-53.png

I noticed this as well. What happens other times is that the banner, along with it's interface, moves right of the page and appears as a droplist menu. Especially with the actual forum, wich doesn't yet have a mobile version.

Cogh, Tapatalk, cogh,

I only use desktop or laptop to access the site.

The old version was perfectly fine, very functional and well designed by comparison.

I don't see the point of the re-design, I see less information on any given page and finding the information I want is now more tedious.

Another good site takes a step backward for no apparent reason.

Jeff

Administrator
Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I agree, I like the new design! But it would be good to have a link to the forum on the home page, not under "more"
Thanks for the feedback - the forum will return very soon to the main navigation.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Today I was no longer able to access the desktop version of the homepage from Puffin or Mercury browser on iOS (and I refuse to scroll thru all the jumble on the mobile homepage). Will you be adding a button to access the desktop version from the mobile homepage?

Parenthetically, the access situation so infuriated me that I hauled out my laptop and discovered you've absolutely annihilated the desktop version too! :eek:

Maybe it's time to take a cue from Race Radio and just move on.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
incredibly busy, incredibly un-intuitive, and the article layout, reminds me of one of those sites you end up on when you click one of those "25 sexiest women in sport" ads..

Jeff

Administrator
Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Tyre Byter said:
Today I was no longer able to access the desktop version of the homepage from Puffin or Mercury browser on iOS (and I refuse to scroll thru all the jumble on the mobile homepage). Will you be adding a button to access the desktop version from the mobile homepage?

Parenthetically, the access situation so infuriated me that I hauled out my laptop and discovered you've absolutely annihilated the desktop version too! :eek:

Maybe it's time to take a cue from Race Radio and just move on.
We do support a lot of browsers but there could well be some that we missed - we'll investigate that.

The site is now adaptive so there's only one version. All the content is the same as before.

We will be looking at reader feedback as well as the data we're getting to see how we can improve things as we go. It's certainly not done and dusted.

New site

Today I visited my favorite site to get cycling news, CyclingNews.com. I, like everyone else, was sent to this new beta design. This is no longer my favorite site to get cycling news. In fact, I don't see how anyone could possibly use the site anymore.

The old site was easy to scan, my eyes could take in lots of information and it was laid out in a way that worked. The new site is a jumble of completely unorganized words that are impossible to scan. The slider area at the top (Today on Cyclingnews) is completely unreadable. At a glance you have no idea what is going on. The old one was easy on the eyes and very easy to read. This is a huge step backwards.

The amount of information delivered by the home page has been cut in half, if not more. A quick view of the site doesn't tell me if there is anything new I want to see since last time I was there. Now I have to scroll all over the place and try and figure it out from many locations, and probably still have no idea.

This website reeks of "Mobile First" design, and while that can be great, this time it is not. I will have to find another site to get this news from.

TRENDING THREADS