• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New site design: Post all feedback here

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 1, 2019
www.cyclingnews.com
Accordign to the news article they are receiving feedback via email, which seems kind of weird give that they have a forum specifically for this.

Do they even read the forums?
Also there are already a lot of comments on that article.

There's feedback via the forum, Twitter replies, comments, emails..

All of them are saying similar things about: the mobile site, results, ads. These are the most complained-about things I've seen so far.

Dan Benson has said that the results and mobile issues are being worked on.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cyclingnews-new-look/#disqus_thread

View: https://twitter.com/dnlbenson/status/1167835045555593216

Reactions: fmk_RoI
The CN live ticker page used to remain on the spot I leave my page/curser whenever it updates (i.e. - at the top). Now, if I don't check it for awhile, I'll come back and find it on the bottom of the page - the first post, a bit of a PITA to have to always bring the page back up to the spot of the latest updates. Firefox on Mac.

Sep 3, 2019
Visit site
Friends from Cycling news,
Please return to previous page design. The new layout is awful to say it in a nice way. I do not know what you are trying to achieve with the new design. Certainly not a winner.
Hope you can go back or scrap the current one

Regarding live reporting:

It seems to me that the previous format was much more easier to read and follow. With the new format I must literally fight through the screen with my eyes to pick up text of the updates. In particular the time stamp in bold font seems to be too prominent - why is the least important information bolded? And why is there even the date? Could you please try removing date and maybe play with the font of the time stamp so that it is not more prominent than the actual text?

Primo-Rogli.jpg

Using Chrome on a Windows laptop, the font on Primož Roglič's name appears to bold the accented characters: Primož Roglič.

Regarding live reporting:

It seems to me that the previous format was much more easier to read and follow. With the new format I must literally fight through the screen with my eyes to pick up text of the updates. In particular the time stamp in bold font seems to be too prominent - why is the least important information bolded? And why is there even the date? Could you please try removing date and maybe play with the font of the time stamp so that it is not more prominent than the actual text?
Looking at the Stage 13 Live Report, 8 hours after the finish, and you scroll down a page or two, only to have the page refresh, and take you back to the top, find where you were and scroll down some more, and then another refresh, and back to the top again. It took about 6 refreshes before i got to the bottom...and I did give it plenty of time to load at the beginning. Each report seems to be in a 'box' which I suspect has something to do with it.

I agree with people saying the live report is considerably harder to read, more space between posts would be better, and I also agree that the refreshes are skewy. In my case on computer - it doesn't refresh to the page position I left it at, if I leave it at the top post and don't check it for a few minutes I find the page is open down the bottom. iOS is better, but still not as easy to decipher between posts as it used to be. Having the 'situation' info in a different font, or bolded, or italicized or different colour background would also help. Right now it looks like part of the live posts.

This new version seems to have allowed far more ads of the Google variety into the mobile version - to the point that articles are almost unreadable. - paragraph of text, then an ad, another paragraph of text, then another ad.

Yeah, refreshes of the live report - I have just tried going through today's Vuelta stage live updates on my mobile and it seems the page automatically refreshed every while. It was very distracting and after refresh I had to scroll to find where I ended reading. Could you please consider disabling automatic refresh entirely, or at least after you close the reporting for the day? It makes no sense to keep refreshing the page automatically if no updates are added any more.

I just use firefox's "reader view" (toggled with F9 key) for the live reports. Much more legible, and no jumping around with the timed refresh. I just refresh now and again myself for updates.

Your answer makes sense, but it appears Open Sans does support special characters.
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Open+Sans

Obviously not the ones included on the webpage. I think the ones on the site are Latin only, but should be Latin Extend to support some additional languages. Here is a bit more:

Obviously not the ones included on the webpage. I think the ones on the site are Latin only, but should be Latin Extend to support some additional languages. Here is a bit more:
Understood–just seems easily fixable by using the linked font. Or I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.

TRENDING THREADS