• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Specialized Saddle Fit question

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I got a new saddle this week after needing to replace my 12 year old flite.

I bought the Specialized Romin SL titanium rail saddle. It comes in three sizes for the width. The shop measured my seat bones with the a$$ o' meter. I got a kick out of that. Of course I measured out right on the dividing line for a large and a medium.

I went with the medium, and after two days of riding i am feeling a fair amount of pressure on my seat bones that i am not sure is normal or that i might need to go to the narrower saddle. Looking for those that have ridden with the Specialized saddles for some advide.

I haven't been riding a lot this year so it could also be that my **** still needs to be broken in.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Check the new saddle is not thicker than the flite or you may have the seat too high drop it 3mm make sure you can feel your foot on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke when climbing hill .

All new seats take time

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I found I had to break in my toupe saddle, took a few hundred kms. It felt really hard at first but now it is amazing, feel's like I'm floating on air! Best saddle I have ever used, and believe me, I have tried most of them!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
RoadieBeast said:
I found I had to break in my toupe saddle, took a few hundred kms. It felt really hard at first but now it is amazing, feel's like I'm floating on air! Best saddle I have ever used, and believe me, I have tried most of them!

I use a SLR very hard but less heat than gell saddles make sure you have good tight fitting knicks not to big not too small. that is very important.

Some modern saddles are better if you drop the rear a little about 3mm lower than the nose saves the ham strings.
but saddles are personal. very personal.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i ride a 143 toupe i like it a lot. though i break them eventually but there comfortable so oh well. the new ones are stronger supposedly. the romin got a real good review i have not used one but we carry them now at the shop i work at so i may test one. as for size the huge majority of males fall into the 143 size range. as for sourness i would ride it for a week or two before making any big decisions new saddles need to break in as do the muscles you sit on.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
i ride a 143 toupe i like it a lot. though i break them eventually but there comfortable so oh well. the new ones are stronger supposedly. the romin got a real good review i have not used one but we carry them now at the shop i work at so i may test one. as for size the huge majority of males fall into the 143 size range. as for sourness i would ride it for a week or two before making any big decisions new saddles need to break in as do the muscles you sit on.

I am sitting right on the border for the 155 or the 143.......i went with the 155 for the extra support but i am thinking that i might need to move down, The shop i bought i from said they would be willing to let me swap for the smaller if i didn't like the feel for the 155.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
I got a new saddle this week after needing to replace my 12 year old flite.

I bought the Specialized Romin SL titanium rail saddle. It comes in three sizes for the width. The shop measured my seat bones with the a$$ o' meter. I got a kick out of that. Of course I measured out right on the dividing line for a large and a medium.

I went with the medium, and after two days of riding i am feeling a fair amount of pressure on my seat bones that i am not sure is normal or that i might need to go to the narrower saddle. Looking for those that have ridden with the Specialized saddles for some advide.

I haven't been riding a lot this year so it could also be that my **** still needs to be broken in.

I got an alias 143. The consistency of the alias is varying. Some are hard as rocks and some are soft padding. I got a hard one. I probably should have just gotten the toupe. The alias is just as hard but heavier.

Like you I felt a decent amount of pressure on the sit bones but almost none on the perineum which I feel with an arionne. I think the increased pressure on the sit bones is something you get used to and preferable.

I'm away from my main bike and riding another bike with the arionne and both are ok, just different.