• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New stage race in Dubai from 2014

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Qatar is a highly predictable race. Only the wind can create a bit of havoc. Boring roads in dull surroundings.

Oman offers better terrain, but TV production needs to be improved.

Tell me a stage race that isn't predictable lol.

Dazed and Confused said:
Qatar is a highly predictable race. Only the wind can create a bit of havoc. Boring roads in dull surroundings.

Oman offers better terrain, but TV production needs to be improved.
Come on, you know why El Pisti doesn't think Qatar is a boring race... One echelon stage is more than enough. A week of them is just boring.

Oman is indeed the one that should be shown live, however due to censure it won't happen.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Come on, you know why El Pisti doesn't think Qatar is a boring race...

Oman is indeed the one that should be shown live, however due to censure it won't happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5Q8sQumrc

Because Boonen beat some horrible Dutch rider?

You're so right. ;)

Yeah, I prefer watching Qatar over the horrible stage race that Paris-Nice has become.

Oman live? Reading the race reports are boring enough already.

El Pistolero said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5Q8sQumrc

Because Boonen beat some horrible Dutch rider?

You're so right. ;)
Here we go again with the Dutch obsession. I can't bother to watch, probably Tom Veelers or something?

Who was the no-name Dutch rider who won there a few years ago? That guy from Vacansoleil. Says enough about the value or importance of this race. Heck, Mark Renshaw won it.

Yeah, I prefer watching Qatar over the horrible stage race that Paris-Nice has become.
Lol, you clearly don't enjoy cycling. Paris-Nice has echelons as well, plus climbs, sprints, TTs, rain, sun, breakaway stages... all in one race.

Oman live? Reading the race reports are boring enough already.
Oman is just a more entertaining race than Qatar, purely because of the undulations in the course. A bit more variation.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Here we go again with the Dutch obsession. I can't bother to watch, probably Tom Veelers or something?

Hilarious, you come in here saying I only like this race because a Belgian wins and you call me obsessed. You have some Calimero issues to get over.

Who was the no-name Dutch rider who won there a few years ago? That guy from Vacansoleil. Says enough about the value or importance of this race. Heck, Mark Renshaw won it.

Yeah, from a breakaway. Oscar Pereiro won the Tour de France thanks to a breakaway. Does it also say enough about the value or importance of this race? Or only when it suits your argument? So what if Renshaw won it? Oliver Zaugg won Lombardia, Iglinsky won LBL, Nick Nuyens/Devolder won the Ronde, Nibali won the Vuelta(against Peter Velits of all people).

Lol, you clearly don't enjoy cycling. Paris-Nice has echelons as well, plus climbs, sprints, TTs, rain, sun, breakaway stages... all in one race.

I thought you just said I only liked Qatar because a Belgian won it? Now you're claiming I don't appreciate Paris-Nice even though a Belgian won the echelon stage(and the breakaway stage for that matter).

News fact for you, the last 2 editions of Paris-Nice have been boring. Dull course decided 90% in the time trial. Uphill climb in Mende was about the only decent thing this year's edition had. And it was won by a nobody à la Mark Renshaw. ;)

The echelon stage was probably great to watch, especially because Boonen originally missed the right echelon and had to race back à la Cipollini in G-W, but it all happened before the live broadcast. ;)

Oman is just a more entertaining race than Qatar, purely because of the undulations in the course. A bit more variation.

Yeah, that's why all stages end in a sprint except Green Mountain.

Something else you'd like to add? I wonder why you're defending the Tour of Oman, but I think everyone knows why.

El Pistolero said:
Hilarious, you come in here saying I only like this race because a Belgian wins and you call me obsessed. You have some Calimero issues to get over.
The fact is: I don't think this race is boring because Boonen tends to win it, I think it's boring because I like echelons but not six stages in a row or whatever. Whereas you love it because Boonen wins. Don't deny it, imagine if Cancellara won that race every year in the same way. You'd love it :eek:

Yeah, from a breakaway. Oscar Pereiro won the Tour de France thanks to a breakaway. Does it also say enough about the value or importance of this race? Or only when it suits your argument? So what if Renshaw won it? Oliver Zaugg won Lombardia, Iglinsky won LBL, Nick Nuyens/Devolder won the Ronde, Nibali won the Vuelta(against Peter Velits of all people).
You really don't get it, do you? You think everyone is a chauvinist like you are, that's why I give you the example of a Dutchman who won it, and how little I care about that. I can't even remember the guy's name. I also don't care how he won it, the fact is he did.

I thought you just said I only liked Qatar because a Belgian won it? Now you're claiming I don't appreciate Paris-Nice even though a Belgian won the echelon stage(and the breakaway stage for that matter)
Question: what was better about Qatar vs. that echelon stage in Paris-Nice? Apart from the fact that in Paris-Nice it was the only echelon stage.

News fact for you, the last 2 editions of Paris-Nice have been boring. Dull course decided 90% in the time trial. Uphill climb in Mende was about the only decent thing this year's edition had. And it was won by a nobody à la Mark Renshaw. ;)
Lol, talk about a Calimero complex. That was a good stage, indeed won by a surprising winner. Unlike 90% of the stages in Qatar.

The echelon stage was probably great to watch, especially because Boonen originally missed the right echelon and had to race back à la Cipollini in G-W, but it all happened before the live broadcast. ;)
It was great because of Boonen? Well that's a surprise...

Yeah, that's why all stages end in a sprint except Green Mountain.
They do, but the way the sprints are reached is a bit more varied than echelons-more echelons-sprint-Boonen wins.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tour of Oman is 5 bunch sprints(some more selective than others, but still bunch sprints) and one "mountain" stage.

You smell of chauvinism yet you're too ashamed to admit it. Love it. You know cheering for your own countrymen isn't a terrible disease you know. You're not really insulting me when calling me chauvinistic. I'm glad I'm born here instead of some poor country. ;)

I like good racing, whether that's on a flat stage or a mountain stage, I don't care.

At the Tour of Oman nothing happens except one stage. You're only defending this race because Gesink won it, get over yourself.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
They are unlikely to have a stage in Abu Dhabi because they have a sort of rivalry.

But looking at the map it seems as if the mountainous area is not so much in Abu Dhabi either, but in emirates north and east of Dubai.

I found this picture for instance in the Fujairah area:

21411060.jpg

All they gotta do is find/build road in area's like that and have one or two stages outside the Dubai area, and this race should be pretty entertaining.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
But looking at the map it seems as if the mountainous area is not so much in Abu Dhabi either, but in emirates north and east of Dubai.

All they gotta do is find/build road in area's like that and have one or two stages outside the Dubai area, and this race should be pretty entertaining.

You mean South east ? North East is the sea. Al Ain isn't bad either. Let's hope it becomes the Tour of Emirates.

Anyway in short stage races there iare only one or two decisive stages:(

Er... no, north east. Continue along the coast. Ras al-Khaimah has some mountainous terrain too, but I'm not sure how much of it has roads in it. There are definitely some hilly roads they could use in the Fujairah area. South east is Al-Ain and Oman, east is Fujairah, north east is Sharjah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain and Ras-al-Khaimah. North, north west and west is sea.

Libertine Seguros said:
Er... no, north east. Continue along the coast. Ras al-Khaimah has some mountainous terrain too, but I'm not sure how much of it has roads in it. There are definitely some hilly roads they could use in the Fujairah area. South east is Al-Ain and Oman, east is Fujairah, north east is Sharjah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain and Ras-al-Khaimah. North, north west and west is sea.

Yr. My mistake. I've just had a look at the map.
There doesn't seem to be roads in the mountainous area though.

Libertine Seguros said:
Thank you for summing up a few locations in Dubai.

Libertine Seguros said:
And there was me thinking the south east was called South East Dubai.