• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New U.S. stage race in Colorado?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
jobiwan said:
Yeah! More names for P&P to destroy!! Jangle-eey, Boissen Hagen, now these guys!!
Will these races definitely be on TV then?

I suspect 'the little Colombian' will be a phrase oft-repeated if Phil and Paul are commentating.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
Will these races definitely be on TV then?

I suspect 'the little Colombian' will be a phrase oft-repeated if Phil and Paul are commentating.

Colorado is live on Versus everyday I believe, similar to the Cali coverage.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why Horner can't get on a bike since the recovery time for football players with concussions is so short and they expect to get hit in the head.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
l.Harm said:
I didn't read this whole thread but does someone know the profile of this tour? I heard it's kind of comparable to the tour in Cali.

Welcome to the forum!! Here's a link to the official web site, and the profiles are in the middle.

Plus all this is at elevation, so it should be a tough race!

Unfortunately, you may be right. Though I think Stage 5 will see some breaks.

As I said a few pages back, the Coors' Classic it ain't. No Morgul-Bismarck, no Tour of the Moon, Colorado National Monument. However this is a first time, so they likely went with where they could get easy access and good exposure, so in that regard I'm okay with it.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Unfortunately, you may be right. Though I think Stage 5 will see some breaks.

As I said a few pages back, the Coors' Classic it ain't. No Morgul-Bismarck, no Tour of the Moon, Colorado National Monument. However this is a first time, so they likely went with where they could get easy access and good exposure, so in that regard I'm okay with it.

The Southeast portion of Morgul Bismark has sort of been consumed by suburban sprawl. It could be hard to control traffic there, I wonder.

On another note, I used to live 2 miles from Colorado National Monument (biked it often, sometimes by moonlight) and never understood why they called it "Tour of the Moon"... no red sandstone, canyons, or pinyon trees on the moon last time I looked. The moon looks pretty boring in comparison, but I digress. It's along, open, windy road from the west side of Monarch Pass to Gunnison.

Yeah, I am one of the people who thinks they could have done better with the route, but it (route choice) may have been more determined by politics than by setting up an exciting race.

The route from Salida to Gunnison to Crested Butte wastes Monarch Pass by putting it so close to the start, IMO... would have been much better in reverse. It is a long, windy open road from the west side of the pass to Gunnison and not much of a climb from Gunny to Crested Butte.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Lupetto said:
Teams

Team RadioShack (Horner)
Team Garmin-Cervelo
HTC-Highroad
BMC Racing Team
Rabobank Cycling Team (Gesink, Mollema, LLS, Freire)
Saxo Bank-SunGard
Liquigas-Cannondale
Leopard Trek

UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team
Team Type 1-sanofi aventis
Skil-Shimano
Team Spidertech Powered by C10

Jelly Belly Cycling
Bissell Cycling
Team Exergy (Mancebo)
EPM-UNE
Gobernacion de Antioquia (Henao)

oh my god?? epm-une too?? these organisers sure now how to make their race attractive. still horrible decision to put in jelly belly over realcyclist, mancebo and grajales' team

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
oh my god?? epm-une too?? these organisers sure now how to make their race attractive. still horrible decision to put in jelly belly over realcyclist, mancebo and grajales' team

it's all about who is paying. First year as a pro team, Exergy is a founding partner and they're in. Have they won any big races this year? Jelly Belly is an official sponsor.

Did realcyclist refuse to put up money for sponsorship, or were they refused any way even with money offered? That's the question I'd like answered.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
this_is_edie said:
it's all about who is paying. First year as a pro team, Exergy is a founding partner and they're in. Have they won any big races this year? Jelly Belly is an official sponsor.

Did realcyclist refuse to put up money for sponsorship, or were they refused any way even with money offered? That's the question I'd like answered.
I wonder if it's Puerto related? Antioquia aren't taking Sevilla or Gutierrez - perhaps that was a condition of their invite. This is pure speculation, of course.

Scratch that - it seems it is a mixture of politics, money as this_is_edie says, and UCI regulations: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/news/usa-pro-cycling-challenge-shuffle-rabobank-colombian-teams-in-trek-livestrong-chipotle-out_185233#disqus_thread

May 23, 2011
Visit site
this_is_edie said:

That is pretty sad if teams have to pay to get an invite.

Duartista said:
Am I right to assume the Condor in question is Gesink? (Rujano also refers to himself as the Condor, in typically modest fashion.)
Yes, Gesink's nickname is the Condor of Varsseveld (terrible, but there you go).

BTW, I don't know about the other names that apparently appear on a startlist somewhere... Luis Leon and Freire will certainly ride the Vuelta, and Mollema as well, possibly. Gesink is the only Rabo rider confirmed for this race, so far.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Gesink's nickname is the Condor of Varsseveld (terrible, but there you go).

Ah-ha. They could have chosen a bird with links to the Netherlands, like a heron or something. Coppi was a heron, so that would carry a certain prestige.

Duartista said:
Ah-ha. They could have chosen a bird with links to the Netherlands, like a heron or something. Coppi was a heron, so that would carry a certain prestige.

Well hes in good company. Only legends get named after birds what with Bahamontes being the Eagle, Savoldelli being the Falcon, Coppi as you mention the Heron and of course with Madrazo being the Sparrow.