• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New U.S. stage race in Colorado?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
That is pretty sad if teams have to pay to get an invite.

of course they do, well at least the continental teams. Compare the continental teams invited and the sponsor lists for Tour of California as an example.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Well hes in good company. Only legends get named after birds what with Bahamontes being the Eagle, Savoldelli being the Falcon, Coppi as you mention the Heron and of course with Madrazo being the Sparrow.
The Sparrow is a superb nickname.

Personally, I would like to see Rujano and Gesink have a race-off for the Condor nickname. Although perhaps Jose should be generous and let Gesink have it, as he has at least 3 others.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Unfortunately, you may be right. Though I think Stage 5 will see some breaks.
Definitely stage 2 will be the most difficult. Although not particularly steep (typ 5-7%) they are Colle delle'Angello long, both topping out at over 12,000ft (Independence Pass is 3793m).

The timetrial will be interesting, starting off flat then gradually getting steeper (last time I rode it the roads got heaver as well.) nearly 500m of climbing.

Watch for interesting things on both stage 4 and 5. 4 goes essentially due north, 5 due south. After initial climbs on both, both traverse wide wind swept open ranges with some rollers. Prevailing winds are west to east. In addition to a likelihood of echelons forming, a smart break can get out of sight. And then there are stretches where you can see 12km in front.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
this_is_edie said:
it's all about who is paying. First year as a pro team, Exergy is a founding partner and they're in. Have they won any big races this year? Jelly Belly is an official sponsor.

Did realcyclist refuse to put up money for sponsorship, or were they refused any way even with money offered? That's the question I'd like answered.

well realcyclist have enough money and the colombian teams haven't paid for sure I think

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
The Sparrow is a superb nickname.

Personally, I would like to see Rujano and Gesink have a race-off for the Condor nickname. Although perhaps Jose should be generous and let Gesink have it, as he has at least 3 others.

the true condor is soler, he even looks like one

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Anyone going?

Will be there for the last 3 stages at least. Trying to arrange the work schedule to get out for Stage 2 but not sure I can make that happen.

The only definite plan right now is to be on the Swan mountain climb on Stage 5 before they drop into the finish in Breck.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
the true condor is soler, he even looks like one
Soler is the 'lancero', which apparently means dreamer in South America.

WRT the Colombian teams' invite, it is apparently due to UCI rules requiring the organisers to invite a certain number of teams from the top 10 of the continental ranking.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
correct, but whEN I see soler he reminds me of a condor. a predator from the mountains, he is so tall and his face is like a condor, even the shape of it

Ryo Hazuki said:
correct, but whEN I see soler he reminds me of a condor. a predator from the mountains, he is so tall and his face is like a condor, even the shape of it
Frankly neither of them looks like a condor.

1236588519Mauricio%20Soler09.jpg
1235895239GESINK%20Robert%202009.jpg

2009-01-condor.jpg

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Soler is The Crab, heir apparent to Fernando Escartín. A prodigiously talented, but utterly graceless, climber.
Mancebo was/is the true heir to Escartin. Shame we won't see him in this race.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Duartista said:
Antioquia announced their team for this and the Tour of Utah a while ago. Here it is: Sergio Luis Henao, Jánier Acevedo, Alejandro Ramírez, Rafael Montiel, Carlos Ospina, Óscar Álvarez y Cristian Montoya + 1 more.

Judging by the Tour of Utah startlist released today, the "+1" will be Sevilla. I guess the ProTour teams will have similar line ups too, so a preliminary list of contenders could look something like this:

Leipheimer
Van Garderen, P. Velits
Gesink
Hejesdal, Tommy D, Vandevelde
Sevilla, Henao
Maybe Baez for EPM (don't know their team, they aren't doing Utah)
Plus maybe Rory Sutherland and the Efimkins

They're in CO and they're running mostly fairly flat or very gradual climbs with no MTFs?

Why? At least stage 2 is a very difficult stage. Now if only they could end it right at the top of the 2nd peak, it would really be something.

Time to add the Pike's Peak Highway ITT! ;) It's a 31km road, with 4.8km that are gravel, that starts at 2,249m (7,379ft) elevation and ends at 4,302m (14,115ft).

A hiking trail that covers over 20km and climbs over 7,000 feet is used for a marathon every year.

patrick767 said:
They're in CO and they're running mostly fairly flat or very gradual climbs with no MTFs?

Why? At least stage 2 is a very difficult stage. Now if only they could end it right at the top of the 2nd peak, it would really be something.

Time to add the Pike's Peak Highway ITT! ;) It's a 31km road, with 4.8km that are gravel, that starts at 2,249m (7,379ft) elevation and ends at 4,302m (14,115ft).

A hiking trail that covers over 20km and climbs over 7,000 feet is used for a marathon every year.

The Tour de France seems relatively tranquil compared to some of these mega marathons and other stuff these indurance freaks do. Time trial which climbs 2000m in 30k and finishes at 4000.

Just wow.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The Tour of Utah was neutered a bit as well. It lost the stage that ended with a 5000 foot climb to 9000 feet.

Tour of Utah should never have gone for UCI rating. It now becomes a poor cousin to California and maybe Colorado.

The Tour of Utah was neutered a bit as well. It lost the stage that ended with a 5000 foot climb to 9000 feet.

9.2% average over 13 km isn't enough for you? :)

this_is_edie said:
Tour of Utah should never have gone for UCI rating. It now becomes a poor cousin to California and maybe Colorado.

If only Colorado and Utah would have combined forces. :( Imagine the race they could have made.

Still, I think the Tour of Utah's course will be hard to beat in Colorado, and is hands-down better than California. Marketing dollars are powerful things, though.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
9.2% average over 13 km isn't enough for you? :)

That is the same as last year. They took out the Nebo stage.

Leipheimer there stinking up the joint again is a real disappointment.

mr. tibbs said:
If only Colorado and Utah would have combined forces. Imagine the race they could have made.

There is a good idea. They could aim for a ten or so day race that would be the length of the Tour de Suisse.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Damiano, you have no idea how hard this Utah course is going to be. This is going to be brutal. I've done all these courses. It's tough. Frankly, I think if they decide to race hard that first day, there will be monstrous gaps.

At one point or another I have ridden all the big climbs in this year's race. I like the idea of having two road races with high altitude summit finishes, but I guess there will not be many spectators on top of Mount Nebo (or any other summit finish) on a weekday. They need a race that spans two weekends.