• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Velodromes Opening

It is sad to see professional European road cycling teams/events
folding/being discontinued at an alarming rate, but at the same
time it is comforting to see track cycling flourishing.

Brand new state-of-the-art indoor velodromes are set to open
in January 2014 in Hong Kong (Tseung Kwan O Velodrome) and
near Paris, France (Centre National du Cyclisme at Saint-Quentin-
En-Yvelines). Indoor Velodromes are also nearing completion at
Derby in the UK and at Cambridge in NZ.

Work has begun on the 2015 Pan American Games Velodrome in
Milton, Canada and a new indoor velodrome will be built in Brisbane,
Australia for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

The future appears bright for track cycling but it is inextricably
linked to it's past with the 116th Austral Wheelrace (first contested
in 1887) set for 22-FEB-2014 at DISC in Melbourne, Australia and
the Good Friday Meeting scheduled for 18-APR-2014 at Herne Hill
in London where racing was first held 16-APR-1891.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
An outdoor velodrome is under construction in Erie, Colorado and anticipated opening is early 2014.
See "Boulder Valley Velodrome" on facebook.

It appears as though Peter Junek is the track designer for the
Boulder Valley Velodrome. He also designed the Aguascalientes
track where all the records were set at the World Cup last week,
as well as designing the track in Guadalajara where the next
World Cup will be in January.

Hopefully the Boulder Valley Velodrome will be as popular and as
successful as the Colorado Springs track.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Orange County could use one. You'd think with their line and commitment to track bikes, Felt would make a push here, along with Shimano at the great park to get at least an outdoor velo like in San Diego. Both companies are a stones throw from the former air base....

Reactions: Syth
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
Orange County could use one. You'd think with their line and commitment to track bikes, Felt would make a push here, along with Shimano at the great park to get at least an outdoor velo like in San Diego. Both companies are a stones throw from the former air base....

Where was that concrete velodrome they built in SoCal for the PanAm games back in the 80's? I think they demolished it a couple of years later, which struck me as an absolutely shameful waste of energy all-round.

hiero2 said:
Where was that concrete velodrome they built in SoCal for the PanAm games back in the 80's? I think they demolished it a couple of years later, which struck me as an absolutely shameful waste of energy all-round.
You must be talking about the Dominguez Hills/7-11 Velodrome
built for the 1984 LA Olympics and demolished in 2003 but
replaced soon after with the indoor 250m. ADT Center.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
oldcrank said:
You must be talking about the Dominguez Hills/7-11 Velodrome
built for the 1984 LA Olympics and demolished in 2003 but
replaced soon after with the indoor 250m. ADT Center.

Yes - that was it. Dominguez Hills. I went there to cover the PanAm games as a stringer for VN at the time - but I was foolish and tried out a new film. Results were unusable. Events, on the other hand, were great. I didn't realize the drome lasted until 2003, I thought they took it out way sooner.

Glad to hear SOMETHING replaced it.

hiero2 said:
Yes - that was it. Dominguez Hills. I went there to cover the PanAm games as a stringer for VN at the time - but I was foolish and tried out a new film. Results were unusable. Events, on the other hand, were great. I didn't realize the drome lasted until 2003, I thought they took it out way sooner.

Glad to hear SOMETHING replaced it.
What is the saying about the 60's, my friend?
If you can remember them, you weren't really there?

So we know you went to Dominguez Hills to cover
a track event. What we don't know is what event
it actually was :). The Pan Am Games have never
been in California, in 1987 they were in Indianapolis.
There may have been a UCI Pan-American Continental
Cycling Championships at Dominguez Hills, but not
the cycling events of the Pan American Games.

I know there was at least one (possibly more)
international event there after the '84 Olympics
but prior to the '88 Olympics that was run on
a Coupe des Nations/Nations Cup team format.
Perhaps that is the event you attended, my friend.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
I know there was at least one (possibly more)
international event there after the '84 Olympics

In 1983 there was an international meet at Dominguez Hills (pre-Olympic tryout). Great meet with many Soviet block countries and their top cyclists competing (The soviet block did not compete in the 84 Olympics).

I earned my masters degree from California State University Dominguez Hills in 1996 and the graduation ceremony was held in the Olympic velodrome.

In July of 1983 the Universiade (World University Games)
was held in Canada and a number of countries including
France and the USSR sent teams with a number of future
and former World and Olympic track cycling medalists.
I imagine the event you are referencing, my friend, was
held soon after. I am fairly certain there was also a USA
vs USSR dual meet held later in the 80's in addition to the
Nations Cup competition I mentioned in an earlier post.

Deek won the marathon in both 82/Brisbane
and 86/Edinburgh...but regarding velodromes,
even though the 1980 Moscow Olympics
were held indoors, in 1982 a 333 concrete
outdoor track was still very much accepted
as world class.
And to your other point, it would not make
too much sense to build the Queensland
State Velodrome on the Gold Coast if it is
expected to "pay for itself" in the future,
as most sports facilities are now required
to do. I am quite sure that most of the
Gold Coast tax-payers are happy that the
track is in Brisbane in case it does need
injections of funds to keep it afloat. (In
2008, Alex Fulcher MBE, OAM told me that
the Bankstown Sports Club contributes
about $1 million a year to run Dunc Gray)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
Deek won the marathon in both 82/Brisbane
and 86/Edinburgh...but regarding velodromes,
even though the 1980 Moscow Olympics
were held indoors, in 1982 a 333 concrete
outdoor track was still very much accepted
as world class.
And to your other point, it would not make
too much sense to build the Queensland
State Velodrome on the Gold Coast if it is
expected to "pay for itself" in the future,
as most sports facilities are now required
to do. I am quite sure that most of the
Gold Coast tax-payers are happy that the
track is in Brisbane in case it does need
injections of funds to keep it afloat. (In
2008, Alex Fulcher MBE, OAM told me that
the Bankstown Sports Club contributes
about $1 million a year to run Dunc Gray)
the banana benders have produced some decent roadies, they might start producing more, and also more trackies. Hepburn is from the gold coast. I am not sure if he has 100% turned his back on the track, but quite a few of this new era, T Meyer, Howard (tho still fit and about 25), Hepburn (still on GE), and Bobridge (back to focus on boards and riding domestic with forklifts), Dale Parker ret.

Durbridge is still uncertain, same with Cam Meyer.

I dont expect them to all be Cancellara or Nibali, but all these riders demonstrated tonnes of promise.

etc. The game is tough. Gerrans had to do about 5 years before he got his start with AGdeuxR. And shlepped around with Ringkerike Norde Bianchi in Norway freezing his balls off for a coupla years. Now his palmares are on a equivalent standing of Anderson, OGrady, Evans, and Mcewen, and surpasses riders like Goss and Cooke and other major talents like Mcgee and Davis.

seems there is a pay off for doing it the hard way. I wonder if Matty White will take a nibble at Porte, because he has foreshadowed this. I have been really impressed with Albasini. poor mans Gerro.

And all the other bargain basement purchases he has made, have been brilliant steals. I think White is the MVP of the peloton. And SBS need to put Cookie on a retainer and per dieum during the Tour, and have him every day do the post show. He is still a boss. Cuts thru the crap. fresh air.

blackcat said:
the banana benders have produced some decent roadies, they might start producing more, and also more trackies. Hepburn is from the gold coast. I am not sure if he has 100% turned his back on the track, but quite a few of this new era, T Meyer, Howard (tho still fit and about 25), Hepburn (still on GE), and Bobridge (back to focus on boards and riding domestic with forklifts), Dale Parker ret.

Durbridge is still uncertain, same with Cam Meyer.

I dont expect them to all be Cancellara or Nibali, but all these riders demonstrated tonnes of promise.

etc. The game is tough. Gerrans had to do about 5 years before he got his start with AGdeuxR. And shlepped around with Ringkerike Norde Bianchi in Norway freezing his balls off for a coupla years. Now his palmares are on a equivalent standing of Anderson, OGrady, Evans, and Mcewen, and surpasses riders like Goss and Cooke and other major talents like Mcgee and Davis.

seems there is a pay off for doing it the hard way. I wonder if Matty White will take a nibble at Porte, because he has foreshadowed this. I have been really impressed with Albasini. poor mans Gerro.

And all the other bargain basement purchases he has made, have been brilliant steals. I think White is the MVP of the peloton. And SBS need to put Cookie on a retainer and per dieum during the Tour, and have him every day do the post show. He is still a boss. Cuts thru the crap. fresh air.
Queensland has always had decent trackies and not just in and around Brisbane (Hepburn is from Brisbane's Western Suburbs BTW, not the Gold Coast.)

Chandler is decent enough for an outdoor, concrete Velodrome but not for an event like the Commonwealth Games. A new velodrome on the Gold Coast would not get the same use as Brisbane, where there are at least 6 clubs that regularly train and race on the track.

Allan Davis, Robbie McEwen, Ben Kersten, Michael Hepburn, Jordan Kerby (Drapac), Mitch Mulhern, Jay McCarthy (Saxo), Luke Davison, Anna Meares and Shara Gillow are just a few riders to come through the QAS system on the track.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Queensland has always had decent trackies and not just in and around Brisbane (Hepburn is from Brisbane's Western Suburbs BTW, not the Gold Coast.)

Chandler is decent enough for an outdoor, concrete Velodrome but not for an event like the Commonwealth Games. A new velodrome on the Gold Coast would not get the same use as Brisbane, where there are at least 6 clubs that regularly train and race on the track.

Allan Davis, Robbie McEwen, Ben Kersten, Michael Hepburn, Jordan Kerby (Drapac), Mitch Mulhern, Jay McCarthy (Saxo), Luke Davison, Anna Meares and Shara Gillow are just a few riders to come through the QAS system on the track.
and they will be even better with a international competition quality training ground!

cheers for reply

Reactions: EzRock1523

TRENDING THREADS