• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New whellset worth it?

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
I have a shimano rs 100 basic wheelset.
I was looking for fulcrum racing 4 wheelset
Wil there be any benefit if i change wheelset in terms of speed ,comfort...?
I am doing long distance triathlon with very little hills...solo rides and very flat
Tenks for opinions and any sugestions for other wheelsets in range 500€

I have a shimano rs 100 basic wheelset.
I was looking for fulcrum racing 4 wheelset
Wil there be any benefit if i change wheelset in terms of speed ,comfort...?
I am doing long distance triathlon with very little hills...solo rides and very flat
Tenks for opinions and any sugestions for other wheelsets in range 500€

Based upon this review I’d say the Fulcrum racing 4s meet your needs. If you want lighter or more aero you will need to spend more money.

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Both the Shimano and Fulcrum look to be entry level wheelsets that serve as stock wheels that come with new bikes. Stock wheels tend to be sluggish and unresponsive. I am not as familiar with the RS 100 wheels but my hunch is you will not gain noticeable benefits from the Fulcrum. I have heard positive feedback about the Campagnolo Zonda wheelset.

I would also suggest checking out the website In The Know Cycling where you can find independent reviews and helpful suggestions on finding a wheelset that suits your cycling goals.

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
King bonnen...tenks for opinion

What about this whellset???

Its 42mm high...would this be any speed gains?
And anybody knows this kinetic brand?
I am from Slovenia and am afraing of such comoany due to garanty and so...
Have a nice day

King bonnen...tenks for opinion

What about this whellset???

Its 42mm high...would this be any speed gains?
And anybody knows this kinetic brand?
I am from Slovenia and am afraing of such comoany due to garanty and so...
Have a nice day
There will be more gains to be had from the deeper rim (although lab test gains Vs. real life are quite different) but that's a pretty heavy wheelset. The issue with this is the gains are had at around 18mph and over. Before that, you're spending more energy spinning up the heavier wheels. If you can comfortably produce the power to reach those speeds for the majority of your ride, then sure, they will likely be beneficial (although what the actual time you'd save is will be very dependent on the event) but if you can't you'll find them slower. I can't really advise on that company, I'm like you and I don't like buying from brands I've not heard of or seen others riding. It's very easy to set up a wheel company these days, I'll dig out a video showing how easy it is.

Honestly, I would save your money until you can afford some decent, deep rim carbon wheels. Something like these:

with 45mm being the minimum rim depth I'd look at for flat TT style riding and I'd likely be looking 50+mm depending on course and conditions.

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
Tenks for reply.
Can you say how much speed gains will 55m carbon rims would give me versus stock rs 100 shimano
I have average 30km/h on 180km ironman course on this rs 100 shimano wheels
How much gains would lets say fulcrum racing 4 gave me and how much carbon 55mm?

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
Tenks for reply.
I think i will try fulcrum4 becouse carbon rims are out of budget :) have money but will spend it somewhere else
I think that combo:
New fulcrum 4
Tri suit wit a little aero
New aero helmet
Shaved legs
Will give more gains on bike leg of ironman versus just new carbon whells

TRENDING THREADS