• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Next Dominators

Sprint
Cobbled Classics

Hilly classics
GC
TT

Previous dominators are past their prime. Who will be the king.
For Sprint and cobbled stone classics, new kings has been stepped up. I think all of us agree their authoity.

Hilly classics , GT GC and TT, who will be the new king ?

toolittle said:
Sprint
Cobbled Classics

Hilly classics
GC
TT

Previous dominators are past their prime. Who will be the king.
For Sprint and cobbled stone classics, new kings has been stepped up. I think all of us agree their authoity.

Hilly classics , GT GC and TT, who will be the new king ?

Sprint: Gaviria, Ewan, Groenewegen, although Kittel still has a few good years to come
Cobbled classics: Jasper Stuven, Gianni Moscon, Démare if the race isn't too hard
Hilly classics: Kwiatkowski, Alaphilippe, if he recovers well from his injury, Dylan Theuns, maybe Barguil, but it wouldn't surprise me if he solely focused on the tour the next couple of years, maybe Gaudu, but since he's French, he'll probably focus on French stage races too. If raced conservatively, Michael Matthews
TT: Dumoulin, Rohan Dennis, to a lesser extent Jungels, Küng, Durbridge and Roglic,
GT GC: Dumoulin, Landa, Quintana the first being the dominant TT-er with still good climbing abilities, the latter being the better climber. Also the Yates twins, Bardet, Barguil, Pinot, Aru. Still younger (and difficult to asses) Gaudu

Above all I hope that in the near future we will have a few GT's with proper blocks of proper mountains stages, balanced by decent length itt's where we can see an interesting battle between the tt'ers (Dumoulin, Jungels,...) and the climbers (Landa, Quintana).

You can hardly name 10 dominant riders.

I feel classic and especially cobbled classic riders hard to predict cause the skillset is because the skillset is a bit of an intermediary skillset and because classics are more variable and contenders contend for longer.

For sprints I'm gonna go with Gaviria.
Hilly classics: Alaphillipe
Cobbles: Very hard, not sure any of the new guys are gonna be better than Sagan
TTs: depends a lot on who many of them are gonna go for GTs
GTs: Dumoulin, but this is gonna be very dependent on team, route and opposition as well as how Dumoulin develops. I'm also taking a very keen interest in Gaudu, Bernal and that Russian kid who's also headed to Sky who's name I can't remember.

Oh who the hell am I kidding. Valverde will dominate the hilly classics for the next 5 years.

Tiesj Benoot should be on this list. I just don't know where to put him. He doesn't seem to have found out what kind of rider he wants to be. Awesome in the biggest cobbled classics a couple of years ago, 15th at Amstel this year and now he's finishing 20th in the Tour.

What's his deal? Surely it's better to be a master of one trade than a jack of all.

Re:

Red Rick said:
You can hardly name 10 dominant riders.

I feel classic and especially cobbled classic riders hard to predict cause the skillset is because the skillset is a bit of an intermediary skillset and because classics are more variable and contenders contend for longer.

For sprints I'm gonna go with Gaviria.
Hilly classics: Alaphillipe
Cobbles: Very hard, not sure any of the new guys are gonna be better than Sagan
TTs: depends a lot on who many of them are gonna go for GTs
GTs: Dumoulin, but this is gonna be very dependent on team, route and opposition as well as how Dumoulin develops. I'm also taking a very keen interest in Gaudu, Bernal and that Russian kid who's also headed to Sky who's name I can't remember.

Oh who the hell am I kidding. Valverde will dominate the hilly classics for the next 5 years.

Sivakov, he might be French soon he has been living there for a long time, and is trying to change nationality

TRENDING THREADS