• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Next years tour of California...

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone really care if Lance rides again? Lets move on. Lots of new faces and lots of new talent to watch. Lance is not the benchmark these days.:rolleyes:

Barrus said:
They want to bring the Alpe d'Huez over :p;)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/messick-looks-to-bring-alpe-dhuez-style-ascent-to-amgen-tour-of-california
But still, outside of the US domestic teams it will once again be planned as a paid vacation for many of the riders
An actual mountaintop finish would be a good idea... most riders said the stages were crazy hard, but they still arrived at the finish with 30+ guys, because there wasn't really an opportunity to make a difference. If however at the end of such a stage they'd have to climb the equivalent of the Alpe d'Huez (probably slight exaggeration on the organizers' part, but ok) that would be utter carnage. And yes, it would make the ToC just that little bit more interesting.

Oh, and about Lance: why not? Give the fans what they want. If he's still allowed to ride by then, that is.

Money's gonna talk for this race.

Cavendish will go because HTC/High Road says so....

Alberto will go because Mike Sinyard says so......

Cadel will go because this years Giro experiment was a flop.....

Team Schleck will be there, as ordered by their leash holders in Waterloo....

All the others will follow and pretty soon you have a race!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm assuming the Alpe D'Huez reference has nothing to do with any relative difficulty an dmore than he, probably rightly, assumes that the general public ha sonly heard of it and maybe Mt. Ventoux. As for the racing with the exception of Levi and Rogers (and Landis) I have yet to see a top 10 finisher in a GT do much more than soft pedal, stage hunt or do a little domestique work. So until guys will actually try, well its just something to watch b/c its cycling which beats most other stuff on the tube.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
The hate for the Tour of California is baffling.

It's not like its taking away coverage of the Giro. Sheesh.

What's wrong with trying build up a strong stage race in the United States to bring more attention to the American domestic teams and perhaps engender more interest in the sport?

The future of cycling seems to be in places outside of Europe, where most of the new money for cycling sponsorship is coming from, and therefore we're going to see more races outside of Europe. Some of them will develop into major races. I hope California is one because, as an American racing fan, its one of few opportunities I have to see top stage racers in person.

Nick C. said:
I'm assuming the Alpe D'Huez reference has nothing to do with any relative difficulty an dmore than he, probably rightly, assumes that the general public ha sonly heard of it and maybe Mt. Ventoux. As for the racing with the exception of Levi and Rogers (and Landis) I have yet to see a top 10 finisher in a GT do much more than soft pedal, stage hunt or do a little domestique work. So until guys will actually try, well its just something to watch b/c its cycling which beats most other stuff on the tube.

Eh, rather than soft pedaling per se, I think a lot of that is just guys using it to prep for the TdF who aren't in top form yet and aren't ready to go all out. That happens in many of the shorter stage races as top riders get ready for grand tours. Obviously California is no grand tour and doesn't aspire to be, but it's a good race and it looks like it's going to get better.

The good thing about the ToC is that for those of us in european or greenwhich timezones, it takes place at about 10-11 oclock, so is a decent thing to look at now and again before bedtime. Would be extremely dull without the banter on this forum though. So keep it coming next year when it rolls around again.

Oh and that idea of having all the US races leading up to california whoever kept posting that idea, is a good one too, because then all the teams will be able to justify a trip to the US for a few races.

Shame it takes place at the time of the best gt though.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
patrick767 said:
Eh, rather than soft pedaling per se, I think a lot of that is just guys using it to prep for the TdF who aren't in top form yet and aren't ready to go all out. That happens in many of the shorter stage races as top riders get ready for grand tours. Obviously California is no grand tour and doesn't aspire to be, but it's a good race and it looks like it's going to get better.

If you read the article and past commentary by Messick saying it was the 2d biggest GT in the World and talking about having 3 top ten finishers in the Tour at the race as if they were "competing" maybe you wouldn't be a bit perplexed at the hyperbole and BS but I was. To be honest I would love to see cycling catch on in the US and the ToC has a shot at sticking around but the silliness coming out of his mouth I find irksome.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
GoGarmin said:
The hate for the Tour of California is baffling.

It's not like its taking away coverage of the Giro. Sheesh.

What's wrong with trying build up a strong stage race in the United States to bring more attention to the American domestic teams and perhaps engender more interest in the sport?

The future of cycling seems to be in places outside of Europe, where most of the new money for cycling sponsorship is coming from, and therefore we're going to see more races outside of Europe. Some of them will develop into major races. I hope California is one because, as an American racing fan, its one of few opportunities I have to see top stage racers in person.
I enjoyed the '09 edition moar than 0'10 because.....

The Hitch said:
The good thing about the ToC is that for those of us in european or greenwhich timezones, it takes place at about 10-11 oclock, so is a decent thing to look at now and again before bedtime. Would be extremely dull without the banter on this forum though. So keep it coming next year when it rolls around again.

Oh and that idea of having all the US races leading up to california whoever kept posting that idea, is a good one too, because then all the teams will be able to justify a trip to the US for a few races.

Shame it takes place at the time of the best gt though.
......Yeah in february (I think) or March in 2009 it was a great race. It wasnt trying to be too big for its shoes. But this year we had all this "trying to compete with the Giro crap" so I didnt bother tuning in this year. I'll support a race that doenst pretend to be bigger and better than it really is. Hence I don't really like to the TDF anymore.:(

A

Anonymous

GoGarmin said:
The hate for the Tour of California is baffling..

It was the dullest race of the year. Even duller than Oman. Most of the riders are just there to do training rides, and mingle with sponsors in the evenings. And the hype by the organisers surrounding it, second biggest race of the year etc, is just insane.

I read posts and see pictures from forum members here showing great rides theyve done, scenery, climbs etc, and the tour of california seems to do its best to show us the flatest, most boring bits of america it possibly can. Im sure america does have potential to provide amazing stage racing, but the tour of california aint it.

September 5th...

Although it seems like most (so far) don't really care, I'll drop a nugget I heard first-hand from an "important" person yesterday:

Solvang is back for '11

Now, what I don't know is if it'll be the "traditional" 15mi TT, a different TT route, or something even more interesting like a route up Fig as Moose suggests.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
It was the dullest race of the year. Even duller than Oman. Most of the riders are just there to do training rides, and mingle with sponsors in the evenings. And the hype by the organisers surrounding it, second biggest race of the year etc, is just insane.

I read posts and see pictures from forum members here showing great rides theyve done, scenery, climbs etc, and the tour of california seems to do its best to show us the flatest, most boring bits of america it possibly can. Im sure america does have potential to provide amazing stage racing, but the tour of california aint it.

Give us a chance Sky. We once had great 6 day bike racing. I heard the red Zing/ Coors classic stage race in the 8os was epic. I have a link for the original what we call the real tour of california in the 70s it was incredible. I believe Raul Alcala participated.
I was at the TT in Palo Alto at Stanford in the ToC. That was epic.

Cycling is an international sport though shalt not covet.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
online-rider said:
I enjoyed the '09 edition moar than 0'10 because.....

......Yeah in february (I think) or March in 2009 it was a great race. It wasnt trying to be too big for its shoes. But this year we had all this "trying to compete with the Giro crap" so I didnt bother tuning in this year. I'll support a race that doenst pretend to be bigger and better than it really is. Hence I don't really like to the TDF anymore.:(

It's not competing with the Giro any more then Catalunya was when it was raced during the Giro.

Catalunya was an important race to spanish teams. California is an important race to teams with interest in the US market. Not every top rider competes at every grand tour... races are needed in that time frame for guys focusing on the tour to begin their prep. Why is California rather then Catalunya filling that slot a problem?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
there's no problem jst don't be surpriosed because nobody cares for the race, same thing with catalunya although that race at least had great history and winners

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I've absolutley no problem with the TOC being where it is on the race calendar as long as the organisers stop with all this crap about it being a major race. Having a viable alternative to the Giro for riders preparing for the tour is a good thing. It's only the same as the Tour of Britain 'competing' with the Vuelta for riders preparing for the Worlds. The difference is the organisers of the TOB don't make it out to be something it's not.

I think it's important to have top level racing in the US, especially with the aim of attracting sponsorship. I'm sure they could organise a much better race because it is incredibly dull at times but I hope it will get better with time.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
ToC is dull to me. It is just a payed holliday for riders who honestly don't give a **** about the race. Many aspects of the 2010 race did not look like serious cycling to me.

Creating now a hype with a possible climb that "looks like alpe D'Huez" is again driving the race the wrong way. Alpe D'Huez is a highly overrated climb, but anyway why that need to look like Europe? California will never provide something similar to the GTs or classics in Europe, because of the lack of tradition or completely different cultural and nature landscapes. BUT it could provide something different and also good. It could develop a strong personality by offering something different that could not be found in Europe (whatever it could be, I don't really know)

My opinion does nothing to do with ToC being in the USA or out of Europe. I hope someone develops something that looks classy and interesting there, but for me it looked overhyped, dull and undistinct. I paid attention to it this year because of the hype, even some people dared to compare it with the Giro and sayed it was the 2nd GT. Next year I will not make the same mistake, but good luck anyway.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
It's not competing with the Giro any more then Catalunya was when it was raced during the Giro.

Catalunya was an important race to spanish teams. California is an important race to teams with interest in the US market. Not every top rider competes at every grand tour... races are needed in that time frame for guys focusing on the tour to begin their prep. Why is California rather then Catalunya filling that slot a problem?
Well its not a problem per se. But I can see your point with HTC columbia and Garmin, Bissell etc wanting to gratify their sponsors. But the fact is the TD Catalunya people don't squeal as much useless hype about their race as the TD California people did this year. Not that I've got a problem with promoting their race, good on them. You've also got to consider what pros are going to want to do their Tour prep in Cali racing a weird sprinters race or doing Catalunya ...? Am I right?

A

Anonymous

flicker said:
Give us a chance Sky. We once had great 6 day bike racing. I heard the red Zing/ Coors classic stage race in the 8os was epic. I have a link for the original what we call the real tour of california in the 70s it was incredible. I believe Raul Alcala participated.
I was at the TT in Palo Alto at Stanford in the ToC. That was epic.

Cycling is an international sport though shalt not covet.

Im sure there is great cycling available in the US. AS i say, from pictures ive seen of rides or descriptions from forum posters there are some amazing rides out there. Im sure many americans find it frustrating that the showcase event of cycling in their country is the Tour of California. Im sure many forum members here could create a much better route that would intrest fans from all around the world.

joe1265 said:
Money's gonna talk for this race.
I admit that a Californian recession may not be as bad as an Iberian one, for instance, but hasn't Governor Terminator been talking down recovery recently?
Anyhow, an interesting list to debate.

joe1265 said:
Cavendish will go because HTC/High Road says so....

I think Cavendish will not be as happy to comply, next year, as this year was a disastrous race for him, both in terms of his DNF and certainly in terms of Tour prep.
Cav has designs on another Giro visit.

joe1265 said:
Alberto will go because Mike Sinyard says so......

Not a snowball's chance in hell. Bertie's beach time, between his Spring campaign and the Dauphine/Tour. Besides, he also wants to try for the Vuelta.

joe1265 said:
Cadel will go because this years Giro experiment was a flop.....
Was it?
He had a great first 2 weeks until the Zoncolan and Mortirolo lived up to their reputations.
He was going far better at this year's Tour, than last, until his fall.
However, he may well opt for California, as the calender has been cleared for the UCI's golden child. Not much else about.........except the Giro.;)

joe1265 said:
Team Schleck will be there, as ordered by their leash holders in Waterloo....

Undoubtably the Schlecks will be California dreamin'........of the girls and the beer.........well, maybe not the beer.
Nice holiday for the lads, with some biking thrown in for good measure.

joe1265 said:
All the others will follow and pretty soon you have a race!

Yes, certainly all the big teams will be there, if the UCI's Pro Tour promotion goes through.
I would expect a highish quality field, with lowish quality ambitions.

Question: What is to become of the 8 or 9 home grown teams?