• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nibali's sticky bottle

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What should Nibali get for his car antics on stage 2

• 2 minutes

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • Just a fine is enough, it's not his fault he crashed

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Short suspension

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nothing (Vino option)

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 10 minutes ought to do it

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • DQ Nibali

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • DQ Nibali and his DS

Votes: 93 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Campervan man said:
DFA123 said:
Correct decision. Similar things happen all the time, but this was too blatant and taking it too far.
Can anyone share a direct link to the incident please. On one hand Froome will be laughing at what was said recently.
In fairness, what Nibali said was grossly unfair and inaccurate. It was a motorbike and not a car that Froome was DQed for holding on to.

Re:

Carols said:
From CN: "Shefer was also kicked out of the race, and Astana will have only one car following its riders for the next two stages."

Two stages or the rest of the race?

Now I don't know, I read the rest of the race on the first tweet that adressed that point. Two stages seem more likely.

roundabout said:
Red Rick said:
Billie said:
won't be many riders or ds's left by the end of la vuelta if they're consistent

Yeah was thinking this too. It's more about the outrage and publicity than about the action imo

Except that it was one of the most (if not *the* most) blatant cases of holding to a team car that I can recall in recent years.

And of course it's a DQ in the rules as well so it is about the action.

Why was it blatant, because it got caught on camera. The gruppeto doesn't get caught. It's still no consistency.

BigMac said:
Carols said:
From CN: "Shefer was also kicked out of the race, and Astana will have only one car following its riders for the next two stages."

Now I don't know, I read the rest of the race on the first tweet that adressed that point. Two stages seem more likely.

I hope it's two stages. The rest of the rider shouldn't be hampered for the entire race, they didn't do anything improper.

Billie said:
Escarabajo said:
Billie said:
If the get caught on a video doing the same thing they will probably do the same! Not sure why you are surprised.

it happens all the time. During tour de france every day there are atleast 5 guys that get fined for this. 50 swiss francs plus 10 secs penalty. ANd now suddenly they throw a guy out of the race. Just can't believe it.
Please show me a video.
Thanks.

I think the last one was at the Giro few year's back but even back then there was problems getting a video.

Carols said:
BigMac said:
Carols said:

I hope it's two stages. The rest of the rider shouldn't be hampered for the entire race, they didn't do anything improper.

I totally agree.

Red Rick said:
roundabout said:
Red Rick said:
Billie said:

Yeah was thinking this too. It's more about the outrage and publicity than about the action imo

Except that it was one of the most (if not *the* most) blatant cases of holding to a team car that I can recall in recent years.

And of course it's a DQ in the rules as well so it is about the action.

Why was it blatant, because it got caught on camera. The gruppeto doesn't get caught. It's still no consistency.

Because of the huge acceleration. And because someone couldn't be bothered to enforce the rules in the past doesn't make enforcing them now inconsistent.

Gigs_98 said:
I am really angry. Not on the organizers but on Nibali and Astana. How can you act that stupid.
Agreed. They acted like they were above the rules. It's pretty obvious there would be a TV camera on Nibali as well - was a ridiculous thing to do. Worse probably by the driver than by Nibali; a more gentle acceleration or just maintaining pace to give him a rest and he would have got away with it.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Libertine Seguros said:
Campervan man said:
DFA123 said:
Correct decision. Similar things happen all the time, but this was too blatant and taking it too far.
Can anyone share a direct link to the incident please. On one hand Froome will be laughing at what was said recently.
In fairness, what Nibali said was grossly unfair and inaccurate. It was a motorbike and not a car that Froome was DQed for holding on to.

Yep I know what Froome got Dq'd for not too disimar though both are blatant acts that deserve punishment. Why just why would you do it on stage 2. Nibs has had a disappointing season and needs to come back more intelligently next. I think he should Giro/Vuelta next season.

Escarabajo said:
Billie said:
Escarabajo said:
Billie said:
If the get caught on a video doing the same thing they will probably do the same! Not sure why you are surprised.

it happens all the time. During tour de france every day there are atleast 5 guys that get fined for this. 50 swiss francs plus 10 secs penalty. ANd now suddenly they throw a guy out of the race. Just can't believe it.
Please show me a video.
Thanks.

I think the last one was at the Giro few year's back but even back then there was problems getting a video.

ONe post above yours ;)

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I think the imagery of him accelerating away from a pack of riders who were in the same situation as he was was the nail in the coffin. Most times sticky bottles happen a rider is isolated due to crash/mechanical and we don't see this so blatantly.

As to tarnishing his reputation I doubt it. If anything this kind of thing is the fault of the rule makers and enforcers who continually let rule infractions slide by interpreting the rule differently for whatever the hell reason they feel like. Of course riders are going to step over boundaries when they're in no way clearly marked and are constantly moving.

One of the things in the public forum lately is this idea of gentleman's rules of cycling. It seems not just the cyclists themselves but also those in charge of enforcing the rules get caught up in this idea and so they turn away when they see sticky bottles or team car motor pacing. Making it okay to do things sometimes and not okay others. Cycling needs to get it together and form clear rules and then enforce them. Either let crashes/mechanicals be deciding factors in the race or neutralize the race and bring it to a stop to wait for the unlucky participant. But these shadow rules to allow certain riders at certain times to break certain rules for... ya know... reasons, is silly. We will get a continued crossing of the line by cyclists and of course see more incidents like this one, where a multiple grand tour winner and one of the ambassadors of the sport is seen on video blatantly cheating to an advantage. Not a good look.

Re:

Queens Boulevard said:
I think the imagery of him accelerating away from a pack of riders who were in the same situation as he was was the nail in the coffin. Most times sticky bottles happen a rider is isolated due to crash/mechanical and we don't see this so blatantly.

They were not in the same situation. That was a grupetto full of guys who had already given up and are taking it easy saving energy

Re:

Queens Boulevard said:

As to tarnishing his reputation I doubt it. If anything this kind of thing is the fault of the rule makers and enforcers who continually let rule infractions slide by interpreting the rule differently for whatever the hell reason they feel like. Of course riders are going to step over boundaries when they're in no way clearly marked and are constantly moving.

One of the things in the public forum lately is this idea of gentleman's rules of cycling. It seems not just the cyclists themselves but also those in charge of enforcing the rules get caught up in this idea and so they turn away when they see sticky bottles or team car motor pacing. Making it okay to do things sometimes and not okay others. Cycling needs to get it together and form clear rules and then enforce them. Either let crashes/mechanicals be deciding factors in the race or neutralize the race and bring it to a stop to wait for the unlucky participant. But these shadow rules to allow certain riders at certain times to break certain rules for... ya know... reasons, is silly. We will get a continued crossing of the line by cyclists and of course see more incidents like this one, where a multiple grand tour winner and one of the ambassadors of the sport is seen on video blatantly cheating to an advantage. Not a good look.

Good post. The rules really need to be enforced properly and consistently. Let's not forget the awful precedent that was sent with the level crossing at Paris Roubaix this year. DQing half the field then would have sent the right message; the same as DQ Nibali now should help to reduce this form of cheating inthe futue.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
From Velonews:
Martinelli sat shotgun while Shefer drove Astana’s team car. Nibali took hold with 16 kilometers to race in the 158.7km stage. He re-joined the group with 10km remaining, but later lost contact.

“I saw the video, I know what we did!” added Martinelli.

“It happens in the Tour, I’ve seen it 1000 times. Try to find me an honest person in the peloton. Any sports director would have done the same thing to save their leader.”

Carols said:
Gigs_98 said:
I am really angry. Not on the organizers but on Nibali and Astana. How can you act that stupid.

I'm not angry, just very disappointed. I thought Nibs had more class than his recent actions reflect :(.

I think most of the blame should be put on Sheffer, Astana's DS in charge of that car. Had he not made that ridiculous jump and instead gotten back more gradually the outrage wouldn't have been this much, and maybe even pass as just another sticky ride after a crash, but this was not normal. To be fair to Nibali, I think he must have been surprised too by how fast his car was going, but dropping would be too dangerous.

He's still a great rider.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
DFA123 said:
Gigs_98 said:
Agreed. They acted like they were above the rules. It's pretty obvious there would be a TV camera on Nibali as well - was a ridiculous thing to do. Worse probably by the driver than by Nibali; a more gentle acceleration or just maintaining pace to give him a rest and he would have got away with it.
I think so, this one was way to balant.
I still think that a certain eye winking Polish rier should have been fined for grabbing the camera motobike and using i as a launching pad durning the 2014 TdF.

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

Billie said:
Queens Boulevard said:

They were not in the same situation. That was a grupetto full of guys who had already given up and are taking it easy saving energy

Why are you trying so hard to convince yourself he was hard done by? That wasn't a grupetto, there were a lot more groups behind that one which included the teammates who fell back to help him get back in. Even if he didn't get caught on TV, did he really expect the other riders to not mention it? Most ridiculously arrogant thing I have ever seen in a race

Mayomaniac said:
DFA123 said:
Gigs_98 said:
I think so, this one was way to balant.
I still think that a certain eye winking Polish rier should have been fined for grabbing the camera motobike and using i as a launching pad durning the 2014 TdF.

Powerful image with Purito complaining in the background. Agreed.

Re:

yespatterns said:
From Velonews:
Martinelli sat shotgun while Shefer drove Astana’s team car. Nibali took hold with 16 kilometers to race in the 158.7km stage. He re-joined the group with 10km remaining, but later lost contact.

“I saw the video, I know what we did!” added Martinelli.

“It happens in the Tour, I’ve seen it 1000 times. Try to find me an honest person in the peloton. Any sports director would have done the same thing to save their leader.”

Bah, Martinelli should have been sent home as well even if he wasn't at the wheel.