• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nibali's sticky bottle

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What should Nibali get for his car antics on stage 2

• 2 minutes

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • Just a fine is enough, it's not his fault he crashed

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Short suspension

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nothing (Vino option)

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 10 minutes ought to do it

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • DQ Nibali

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • DQ Nibali and his DS

Votes: 93 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

[quote="yespatterns"

“It happens in the Tour, I’ve seen it 1000 times. Try to find me an honest person in the peloton. Any sports director would have done the same thing to save their leader.”[/quote]
No they wouldn't. They would have given him a bike immediately and got the whole team back to support him and get him back on.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
[quote="yespatterns"

“It happens in the Tour, I’ve seen it 1000 times. Try to find me an honest person in the peloton. Any sports director would have done the same thing to save their leader.”
No they wouldn't. They would have given him a bike immediately and got the whole team back to support him and get him back on.[/quote]

Every bike change it happens. Every time the mechanic will 'adjust the brake" a bit

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
BigMac said:
Mayomaniac said:
DFA123 said:
Gigs_98 said:
I am really angry. Not on the organizers but on Nibali and Astana. How can you act that stupid.
Agreed. They acted like they were above the rules. It's pretty obvious there would be a TV camera on Nibali as well - was a ridiculous thing to do. Worse probably by the driver than by Nibali; a more gentle acceleration or just maintaining pace to give him a rest and he would have got away with it.
I think so, this one was way to balant.
I still think that a certain eye winking Polish rier should have been fined for grabbing the camera motobike and using i as a launching pad durning the 2014 TdF.

Powerful image with Purito complaining in the background. Agreed.
Yes, I was disgusted when I saw that and Purito complaining about it made it really a powerful image, they really should have done something about it, at east he should have been fined.

May 30, 2015
Visit site

Billie said:
Queens Boulevard said:
I think the imagery of him accelerating away from a pack of riders who were in the same situation as he was was the nail in the coffin. Most times sticky bottles happen a rider is isolated due to crash/mechanical and we don't see this so blatantly.

They were not in the same situation. That was a grupetto full of guys who had already given up and are taking it easy saving energy

Wait, what? That group was literally riding on his wheel while Nibali went full out for 15 seconds. The team car passed those riders and grabbed Nibali, creating the separation from the second rider and leaving him (and the group) in the dust. Sure those might not have been GT champions, and maybe none of them have any shot at this tour, but they were riding full out the same as Nibali and unless I'm mistaken they were all sitting ST as Nibali when the incident happened. Separating riders into a virtual ruling class can't be something organizers do.

Queens Boulevard said:
Billie said:
Queens Boulevard said:
I think the imagery of him accelerating away from a pack of riders who were in the same situation as he was was the nail in the coffin. Most times sticky bottles happen a rider is isolated due to crash/mechanical and we don't see this so blatantly.

They were not in the same situation. That was a grupetto full of guys who had already given up and are taking it easy saving energy

Wait, what? That group was literally riding on his wheel while Nibali went full out for 15 seconds. The team car passed those riders and grabbed Nibali, creating the separation from the second rider and leaving him (and the group) in the dust. Sure those might not have been GT champions, and maybe none of them have any shot at this tour, but they were riding full out the same as Nibali and unless I'm mistaken they were all sitting ST as Nibali when the incident happened. Separating riders into a virtual ruling class can't be something organizers do.

They were not going full out at all. Watch it again if you don't believe. you'll see

May 25, 2009
Visit site
:D Clearly Nibali didn't want to ride the Vuelta but was sent there against his wishes by Vino, so he concocted a cunning way of getting out of the race without having to fake injury. :D

Queens Boulevard said:
Billie said:
Queens Boulevard said:

It is funny to see how all of the sudden they all slowed down like "what the ****" "well we had a good wheel to follow for a while". When I first saw it I was kind of surprised that Nibali slowed down in that group. Later I learned that he was with the car that put the afterburners! LOL.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Martinelli should definitely hit the road too, what an insight into how he thinks. I have the feeling his sentiments of taking the easier way out apply to many facets of cycling.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
What the f*ck was Nibali thinking! :mad: That was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

I'm as big a Nibali fan as anyone on this forum, but I can't find any viable reason that would justify something like that.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

sir fly said:
Afrank said:
What the f*ck was Nibali thinking! :mad: That was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

I'm as big a Nibali fan as anyone on this forum, but I can't find any viable reason that would justify something like that.
I blame Shefer for it.
And when it started happening, Nibali couldn't let.

Both are to blame, Nibali shouldn't have grabbed on to begin with.

Afrank said:
sir fly said:
Afrank said:

I blame Shefer for it.
And when it started happening, Nibali couldn't let.

Both are to blame, Nibali shouldn't have grabbed on to begin with.

The grab per se is something I accept is normal (not as in normal by the rules, but generally accepted and unworthy of much attention). The rest was mental.

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I doubt he thought much about it then or now. He was doing something he's done before, other riders have done before, and something other riders after him will do again. We joke about sticky bottles all the time because they happen all the time.

What he probably wasn't counting on was...

1. Whoever was driving that car was going waaaaay too fast.

2. Whoever that was from Europcar (?) who would not give up his wheel. Seriously, dude was out of the saddle trying to hold on to Nibali. Had that group allowed him to go by them and distance them before the sticky bottle it wouldn't have created as much of a contrast for TV. As it was because that group strung out to follow him we see one moment him at the head of "Group Nibali" and then the next moment the car whizzing by dragging Nibali so he created about 1/4 km space in like 4 seconds. It provides context we normally don't see with a sticky bottle.

Without those two things I'm not sure he would have been disqualified, as again this exact behaviour has happened in the past to no ill effect for the rider engaging in it.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Hahahahah wasn't it Nibali who made the comment about Froome being thrown out of the Giro, because of the same thing? In a pre vuelta interview.