• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nicolas Roache

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit, I'm becoming a fan of his, and in the last few years he has been getting some rather solid results, and IMO I think a big win is around the corner.

I'm going to back him for a Tour stage win.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I have to admit, I'm becoming a fan of his, and in the last few years he has been getting some rather solid results, and IMO I think a big win is around the corner.

I'm going to back him for a Tour stage win.

If you are such a fan then you might want to spell his name properly.:D.... Its Roche, same as his Dads name !! :D

Unfortunately he was forced to pull out of the Tour de Romandie last Saturday due to swelling behind his knee, an MRI revealed a tear to his left hamstring - so he has to take a rest for 3 weeks. This could put his preparation and indeed his participation in the TdF in jeopardy.

Which would be unfortunate as has had a very solid start to the season, with numerous top 10's.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Super rider is Roche, although as an Irishman I would say that. Rode very well at last years TdF and was unlucky not to get a stage win. His performances this year through Paris-Nice to last weeks Romandie Stage 2 have been superb and his attacking spirit is a joy to watch. To be up there everyday such as in Paris-Nice takes guts. Hopefully he will be ok in time to ride the Dauphiné and use it as a training ride to make the TdF roster. I have seen it mentioned that he also is looking to ride the Vuelta and I think he could could do quite well indeed there.

Spanky said:
Super rider is Roche, although as an Irishman I would say that. Rode very well at last years TdF and was unlucky not to get a stage win. His performances this year through Paris-Nice to last weeks Romandie Stage 2 have been superb and his attacking spirit is a joy to watch. To be up there everyday such as in Paris-Nice takes guts. Hopefully he will be ok in time to ride the Dauphiné and use it as a training ride to make the TdF roster. I have seen it mentioned that he also is looking to ride the Vuelta and I think he could could do quite well indeed there.

+1, I've enjoyed his attacking efforts this year even if he hasn't quite got to the top step of the podium.

After his enforced rest, if he gets his form right and uses the Vuelta well, he's another who could be a dark horse for a decent result at the Worlds as the course would suit him.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Worth mentioning that along with our other riders in the professional ranks such as Deignan, Dan Martin & the king of Asia McCann, he gets little or no coverage in Ireland which is quite sad. Ireland is a country obessesed with the sports news of Britain and outside of reporting on Englands soccer league and a couple of other team sports, cycling doesn't get a look in. It will be quite galling when Roche does win something and we'll have to watch the Irish media jump on the bandwagon of a man who proudly wears our national road race jersey on the roads of Europe. If I was Roche, I'd declare for a real country like France. Sorry, rant over.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
+1, I've enjoyed his attacking efforts this year even if he hasn't quite got to the top step of the podium.

After his enforced rest, if he gets his form right and uses the Vuelta well, he's another who could be a dark horse for a decent result at the Worlds as the course would suit him.

Isn't the worlds a flat course this year? I thought Roche was more of a climber...