Nicolas Roche Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 13, 2012
168
0
0
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEYQqQIwAw&url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/sport/eurosport-cycling/10772002/nicolas-roche-preparations-giro-ditalia.html?WT.mc_id=605747&source=EditorialChannel&ei=hPFQU6bHNuX07AaM84DQBw&usg=AFQjCNFsmh62N1GzprDFmEVwqCnFDczCCA&sig2=wh-iciPr_vFcs_uzXfMvtw&bvm=bv.65058239,d.ZGU


Roche now doing Romandie in preparation for the Giro and has pulled out of the Classics I think its a better move as it gives him more days in the saddle to improve in advance of the Giro. I always taught his workload was a bit light going into the Giro without doing Romandie which will now give him an opportunity to get a decent result in a stage race in advance of the Giro.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
hayzer114 said:
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEYQqQIwAw&url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/sport/eurosport-cycling/10772002/nicolas-roche-preparations-giro-ditalia.html?WT.mc_id=605747&source=EditorialChannel&ei=hPFQU6bHNuX07AaM84DQBw&usg=AFQjCNFsmh62N1GzprDFmEVwqCnFDczCCA&sig2=wh-iciPr_vFcs_uzXfMvtw&bvm=bv.65058239,d.ZGU


Roche now doing Romandie in preparation for the Giro and has pulled out of the Classics I think its a better move as it gives him more days in the saddle to improve in advance of the Giro. I always taught his workload was a bit light going into the Giro without doing Romandie which will now give him an opportunity to get a decent result in a stage race in advance of the Giro.
thanks for the article. Haven't heard about him for long time. He does has a very light programme, I guess, he most likely will do the Tour too.
 
Dec 13, 2012
168
0
0
Yes hes nailed on for the Tour also, I actually think he will come into top form come the tour like he did with the Vuelta last year. With Alberto showing such strong form so far this year it appears that Saxo may want Roche to be at top level come july to withstand Nibali and Astana. I would say Saxo's tour line-up will be Contador, Roche, Kreuziger, Hernandez, Paulinho, Bennati, Tossato, Morkov, ? would love to see Majka there also but i doubt it.
 
I think he might see today's result as a good thing as it will allow him to really stage hunt without being really chased after by the GC guys, I don't think he was ever really going to be in with a decent shout for the GC, his form just isn't there at the moment but this will give him a little bit more freedom and take the pressure off him
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
hayzer114 said:
Yes hes nailed on for the Tour also, I actually think he will come into top form come the tour like he did with the Vuelta last year. With Alberto showing such strong form so far this year it appears that Saxo may want Roche to be at top level come july to withstand Nibali and Astana. I would say Saxo's tour line-up will be Contador, Roche, Kreuziger, Hernandez, Paulinho, Bennati, Tossato, Morkov, ? would love to see Majka there also but i doubt it.
majka might be in Vuelta. You can't put every single good rider of for Tour only. Contador is also targeted Vuelta. Roche will most likely be out Vuelta since he will do Tour. Rogers too. Kreuziger - maybe. But last year he was no where to be found. So I would rather have him emptied his tank for Contador at TDF. I hope Roche will reach his last year Vuelta and more comes TDF.
 
So here we are after stage 6 and Roche is 3rd on GC, same as the same stage in 2013 (when he won a stage and finished 5th) and one place better than 2015 (when he won a stage and likely only missed a high GC place due to a bad crash), and better than his 11th at this stage in 2010 (when he finished 7th overall and had racked up three top tens by stage 6, including one in a bunch sprint won by Hushovd).

It's a bit like Spilak with Romandie or Costa with Suisse. Vuelta Nico = best Nico.
 
Re:

vedrafjord said:
So here we are after stage 6 and Roche is 3rd on GC, same as the same stage in 2013 (when he won a stage and finished 5th) and one place better than 2015 (when he won a stage and likely only missed a high GC place due to a bad crash), and better than his 11th at this stage in 2010 (when he finished 7th overall and had racked up three top tens by stage 6, including one in a bunch sprint won by Hushovd).

It's a bit like Spilak with Romandie or Costa with Suisse. Vuelta Nico = best Nico.
Yet he still seems totally invisible in the eyes of the media and commentators... He has a much better track record at the Vuelta than Tejay.
 
Re: Re:

happytramp said:
vedrafjord said:
So here we are after stage 6 and Roche is 3rd on GC, same as the same stage in 2013 (when he won a stage and finished 5th) and one place better than 2015 (when he won a stage and likely only missed a high GC place due to a bad crash), and better than his 11th at this stage in 2010 (when he finished 7th overall and had racked up three top tens by stage 6, including one in a bunch sprint won by Hushovd).

It's a bit like Spilak with Romandie or Costa with Suisse. Vuelta Nico = best Nico.
Yet he still seems totally invisible in the eyes of the media and commentators... He has a much better track record at the Vuelta than Tejay.

Roche has the most top 10 stage finishes at the Vuelta of anyone in the current Vuelta ...at 36....
Yet the media and everyone have totally discounted him
 
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
happytramp said:
vedrafjord said:
So here we are after stage 6 and Roche is 3rd on GC, same as the same stage in 2013 (when he won a stage and finished 5th) and one place better than 2015 (when he won a stage and likely only missed a high GC place due to a bad crash), and better than his 11th at this stage in 2010 (when he finished 7th overall and had racked up three top tens by stage 6, including one in a bunch sprint won by Hushovd).

It's a bit like Spilak with Romandie or Costa with Suisse. Vuelta Nico = best Nico.
Yet he still seems totally invisible in the eyes of the media and commentators... He has a much better track record at the Vuelta than Tejay.

Roche has the most top 10 stage finishes at the Vuelta of anyone in the current Vuelta ...at 36....
Yet the media and everyone have totally discounted him
That might be the problem, top 10s tend to be invisible. But I agree about the commentary sometimes, some commentators have their favorites and many riders are invisible until they win.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
That might be the problem, top 10s tend to be invisible. But I agree about the commentary sometimes, some commentators have their favorites and many riders are invisible until they win.
Is it the Haimar thread :D ?

On a more serious note, I could see him top-5 again.
 
I think Nico suffers for the success of his cousin the last couple of years, and the fact that he's never going to get close to equaling his oul' lad. Short of doing a Horner, his career looks set to finish as one of those "always bubbling under" types. Like Haimar, I suppose.

He's in line for a good showing this year, but he's not getting younger and he tumbled down the rankings after a good start in 2015 too. So I think wait and see, but for now, it's great to see him up there and I hope he takes it all the way.
 
Roche crashed in 2015 ...1st on the day Tom Dumoulin won but he kept going and then the next stage on roundabout but feel heavily on his hip....It then swelled up and he lost 20+ minutes on the stage that Purito designed into Andorra ... He was passed by everyone that day ...and he wrote how alot of riders came up to him and encouraged him to keep going. Kiryenkia spent all day riding with him and encouraging him...He survived but for a week his hip was swollen and he found it hard to ride. Eventually 2 weeks later he went onto win stage 18 and beat none other than Zubeldia. Nico may not be as successful as his cousin or Dad but he can take the pain just as well
 
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
happytramp said:
vedrafjord said:
So here we are after stage 6 and Roche is 3rd on GC, same as the same stage in 2013 (when he won a stage and finished 5th) and one place better than 2015 (when he won a stage and likely only missed a high GC place due to a bad crash), and better than his 11th at this stage in 2010 (when he finished 7th overall and had racked up three top tens by stage 6, including one in a bunch sprint won by Hushovd).

It's a bit like Spilak with Romandie or Costa with Suisse. Vuelta Nico = best Nico.
Yet he still seems totally invisible in the eyes of the media and commentators... He has a much better track record at the Vuelta than Tejay.

Roche has the most top 10 stage finishes at the Vuelta of anyone in the current Vuelta ...at 36....
Yet the media and everyone have totally discounted him
Discount who?
 
Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
Roche can be an exciting rider to watch, but lately hes been too calculating and seems to just follow wheels like the rest of the GC wannabees........
On stage 3 he towed his chase group up to the leaders and attacked as soon as the junction was made in the final km. He's probably been on his limit following Contador attacks ever since, and he certainly wasn't going to attack the group while TJ was off the back chasing after his crashes.
 
Jul 3, 2017
20
0
0
A very telling moment in today ES coverage. Up popped a table of "contenders" and the gaps. It had the riders listed as 1,2,4,5,6,9, 11, 21 and 38 (something like that) but no 3rd placed rider and one of those with the best records in the Vuelta listed namely Señor Roche.

Hopefully his underatedness by the commentariat will be refected on the road and so tomorrow the 'actual, real' favourites won't notice his late attack and he gets the Red Jersey.
 
Sep 11, 2010
865
0
0
Well. to get away & sneak half a minute; tis hell of move but obvs on downhill So very difficult to uphill attack my kg brethren Glad a big relative unit can still do this on the down So not a threat as always loses 6mins on angliru
 
Re:

yaco said:
Likely to struggle in the longer mountain stages - Keep his form and should finish top 6 in the GC.
that seems optimistic no?

1. froome
2. Nibali
3. Chaves
4. Contador
5. Zakarin
6. De La cruz / Kelderman / Aru/Superman
so around tenth place would be more realistic
 
Dec 31, 2015
321
1
3,035
Re: Re:

Lexman said:
yaco said:
Likely to struggle in the longer mountain stages - Keep his form and should finish top 6 in the GC.
that seems optimistic no?

1. froome
2. Nibali
3. Chaves
4. Contador
5. Zakarin
6. De La cruz / Kelderman / Aru/Superman
so around tenth place would be more realistic
Well he didn't keep that form did he? :)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Professional Road Racing 14
Similar threads
Random Discussion

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS