• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nicolas Roche's Vuelta diaries

Nicolas Roche (Ag2r La Mondiale) wrote daily diaries for the Irish Independent during the Tour. They will probably be best remembered as the venue for his remarks about wanting to kill John Gadret, but even aside from that they were very interesting. If he's writing them himself, Roche could make a good living as a sports writer.

Anyway, much to my surprise, the Irish Independent has asked him to write a similar diary during the Vuelta. The Irish media has seemingly rediscovered cycling now that we have some good pros again, for the first time since the Kelly/Roche Sr era.

They are well worth checking out. He's remarkably honest, at least by the dismal standards of sports diaries. Here are the last few:

It Feels Like You're Pedalling Inside One Big Mobile Oven
Sweat Was Dripping Off Me For Most Of The Stage
The Only Good Thing About These Motels Is The Buffet

Zinoviev Letter said:
Nicolas Roche (Ag2r La Mondiale) wrote daily diaries for the Irish Independent during the Tour. They will probably be best remembered as the venue for his remarks about wanting to kill John Gadret, but even aside from that they were very interesting. If he's writing them himself, Roche could make a good living as a sports writer.

Anyway, much to my surprise, the Irish Independent has asked him to write a similar diary during the Vuelta. The Irish media has seemingly rediscovered cycling now that we have some good pros again, for the first time since the Kelly/Roche Sr era.

They are well worth checking out. He's remarkably honest, at least by the dismal standards of sports diaries. Here are the last few:

It Feels Like You're Pedalling Inside One Big Mobile Oven
Sweat Was Dripping Off Me For Most Of The Stage
The Only Good Thing About These Motels Is The Buffet

Most sports articles are ghost written, but i dont think this one is.

The Hitch said:
Most sports articles are ghost written, but i dont think this one is.

It's certainly a lot less bland than most ghost-written sports diaries I've seen.

The bit I find most interesting is the stuff about the team. He always includes parts about what his team mates have been up to, who crashed, who got in a breakaway, who rode himself into the ground to fetch bottles on a mountain.

Anyway, here are the first couple of diaries for the Vuelta. Irritatingly there isn't a single page with links to all of the diaries:

I Really Suffered Like Never Before Today

It's good news for the profile of the sport in Ireland that the Irish Independent is carrying these diaries. It's the biggest selling paper in the country which means a hell of a lot of people are reading about the ins and outs of riding a Grand Tour. The Irish media in general seems to have suddenly started to remember that cycling exists again, for the first time since S. Roche retired. It's just a pity that there's no Tour of Ireland this year.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah go n.roche seems like a nice guy and a like able individual i hope he places well overall in cycling in general i feel he is a good face and voice for your average pro cyclist. also sorry im an american but a mic(irish) as well so that clouds my view lol. whatever i like the guy.;)