• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ninja of the Tour

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Gogojv said:
5: Peroud. Despite being French the TV camara just loves the younger French. (16)

7: Frank. Yes he is in the race. (20)

9: Bakelants. No3 from AG2R. Did an ultimate ninja move a couple of years ago. winning a race while Irizar got the credits.(22)

Peraud, I'm still pessimistic about his chance, it depends on team tactic and how aggressive the other guys are...

Frank, hope his results get better this year so maybe he can have Ninja of the Year

Bakelants, can be too flashy for this sometimes, but when he's in top hiding form he'll be a good bet

Re:

Gogojv said:
Current Standings.
- With TTT top 3.
1: contador. Although zero ninja potential. (5)
2: Uran. Doing a great job. Got some TV time almost French kissing Martin after his victory but his teammates quickly did a group hug to hide Uran. (6)
3: Kreuziger. Solid performance not even mentioned In this thread. (12)
4: Gesink. First BJ (black jersey) of the TDF. To tall to be a real ninja but excellent ninja potential this tour.(15)
5: Peroud. Despite being French the TV camara just loves the younger French. (16)
6: Talensky. Strong candidate for Paris. (19)
7: Frank. Yes he is in the race. (20)
8: Bardet. Being young and French gives him a big disadvantage. (21)
9: Bakelants. No3 from AG2R. Did an ultimate ninja move a couple of years ago. winning a race while Irizar got the credits.(22)
10. Costa. With GC already ruined will be targeting a stage. (23)

I know that it's very anti-ninja to highlight anything, but I love this. Uran clearly has a team of very committed super domestique ninjas alongside of him :D

Tony Martin is - was - the stand out rider of the race....I'm now convinced that he broke his collarbone for an enforced abandonment, thus making Rigoberto even more invisible :cool:

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Gesink really screwed up today by attacking from far out.

On the other hand, after he realized his mistake and let himself get caught by the big guys, he managed to get fourth with hardly any screen time. The final part of his climb when he rode away from TJVG was pretty impressive ninja-wise.

By the criteria in the opening post, three of the GC top 20 are still in the running:
12th Uran
14th Peraud
15th Frank

If I had not stipulated against top 5 time trial teams, Contador in 6th would be the leader.

My criteria are different from those of the TV directors, by whose standards Contador and (to a lesser extent) Uran are effectively disqualified by reputation and palmares, and Peraud by nationality, but Mollema (disqualified from my criteria by virtue of 9th and 10th on the two Murs) has ridden largely below the directorial radar.

Uran also blew his televisual cover by dropping in the same group as Nibali today.

I was just about to call out Contador as the leader before looking at the TTT rule. Top 5 teams might be too much though, no? Top 2 would be more adequate (5 riders/team for the count for the usual 10).

It's just that it's uncanny. Here we were chuckling at the notion of a ninja Contador but there you have him. 6th without a single top 10 to his name after 3 hill finishes and a HC MTF. The MTF alone should have been enough. Still, on media attention, it'd never be him. Uran on the other hand continues ignored, invisible and en route to an anonymous top 20 placing. Haimar Khan would be proud.

In other news, Haimar is now 51st. I'm telling you, he's got another top 30 in him, at least!

I believe Barguil is doing a tremendous effort, despite his obvious disadvantage of being french. I know he's already grabbed a top 10, but not by much. And the way he drops the leading group only to sneak back up when you least expect is impressive, ninja-wise.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
For me it´s still Morabito. He may be noticed by some commentators due his crash in stage 5 or so, and being in a break for a while...
but looking at stage results (53, 40, 67, 115, 88, 134, 98, 74, -, 50, 24) and being 26th CG is simply "ninja-awesome".