• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No Campers for Pro Riders

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

neineinei said:
The hotel owners in France and Italy are probably not overjoyed by some of cyclings biggest stars rather sleeping in a motorhome in the hotel parking lot than in the hotel rooms. It's bad for the image.
Well the best way to improve "the image" is to provide motel rooms that are better than motor homes.

This is the UCI jumping the shark. Again.

@BenKing89

Here's where @AlbertoBettiol and I sleep for 3 days of Suisse.

CH5ErZ_VAAAkxjx.jpg

Cosy.

Its a load of bollocks, don't see how its any different to Sky and Tinkoff having their own catering trucks and chefs, gives them an advantage and clearly sends the message that the hotel food is too *** for athletes consumption, much like the motorhome shouts, your hotels are too *** to sleep in. Petty rulemaking from the UCI, when lets be honest this season seems to indicate far bigger deeprooted and more serious issues.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Hotel availability does seem to be a bit of a problem in some areas, when you gotta find rooms for 200 riders, plus staff, plus race organization, plus press, plus caravane publicitaire... can be kinda tough

Re:

argyllflyer said:
some of the hotels are pretty dire are they not? Froome's not taken this well I see, has spent the night on twitter trolling the UCI with pics of various hellholes.

Stunning revelation actually. Marginal gains Sky ensures correct pillows but puts riders in dump hotels? I can't make heads or tails of it. Almost as if marginal gains is...a PR stunt! Could it be??

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
argyllflyer said:
some of the hotels are pretty dire are they not? Froome's not taken this well I see, has spent the night on twitter trolling the UCI with pics of various hellholes.

Stunning revelation actually. Marginal gains Sky ensures correct pillows but puts riders in dump hotels? I can't make heads or tails of it. Almost as if marginal gains is...a PR stunt! Could it be??

From what I understand Sky soigneurs make sure to disinfect all rooms completely before the riders enter them. But I also think that in some of the bigger races, the race organization just assigns hotels to the different teams, in order to make sure that everyone gets a room. I could be wrong about this, but I think it's not always up to the teams where they stay

Christian said:
red_flanders said:
argyllflyer said:

From what I understand Sky soigneurs make sure to disinfect all rooms completely before the riders enter them. But I also think that in some of the bigger races, the race organization just assigns hotels to the different teams, in order to make sure that everyone gets a room. I could be wrong about this, but I think it's not always up to the teams where they stay

The race organization picks the hotels for the Tour and assigns them to the teams, its not up to Sky.

Bad hotels? Blame the organizers. But honestly this is all down to money. The revenues generated by the presence of the teams in a hotel is very important for the local economy. It's a VERY welcome rule and something that helps keeping cycling in touch with people and the places all around the world.

Re:

Pippo_San said:
Bad hotels? Blame the organizers. But honestly this is all down to money. The revenues generated by the presence of the teams in a hotel is very important for the local economy. It's a VERY welcome rule and something that helps keeping cycling in touch with people and the places all around the world.

That would be fine if the towns were capable of facilitating the teams in decent enough hotels, sadly some of them are utter shíteholes, its not fair on the riders to force them to stay in hotels most of us wouldn't even stay in.

Re:

Christian said:
Hotel availability does seem to be a bit of a problem in some areas, when you gotta find rooms for 200 riders, plus staff, plus race organization, plus press, plus caravane publicitaire... can be kinda tough

That is true... I remember once Pedro Delgado and Banesto team slept in the worse hotel in San Sebastian for the clasicc, and usually in this race riders go to hotels at 20 Km from the city.

But anyway is not a big problem.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Pippo_San said:
Very good post, I agree :)

Dazed and Confused said:
Taxus4a said:
It is an advantage that is not allowed and I think is good...It is almost impossible that money dont give an advantage, so as lees advantage are for money, for me better.

As well that hotels must get money for cycling, so that way towns pay.

well, well taxi doing more than just driving the car.
Yea, pro cycling is very fragile financially.

Beside a camper is the sort of round metal thingy people towed behind their cars in the sixties.

Actually, our family's camper in the '60-80s sat in the back of our truck. I guess the name changed to motor home when they became self propelled metal thingys that were the size of a house.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't see the problem with them using motorhomes. As I understand it, hotels in the immediate areas are booked solid far in advanced so lesser occupancy is not an issue in the slightest. Also opens up more sponsorship possibilities from the major motorhome manufacturers. When was the last time I saw a team sponsored by a hotel chain? Motorhomes should be given a chance.

Re:

orangerider said:
Don't see the problem with them using motorhomes. As I understand it, hotels in the immediate areas are booked solid far in advanced so lesser occupancy is not an issue in the slightest. Also opens up more sponsorship possibilities from the major motorhome manufacturers. When was the last time I saw a team sponsored by a hotel chain? Motorhomes should be given a chance.

Let's just say motorhomes give teams batter logistic flexibility, and I'd have to continue on another subforum.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
As a frequent traveler I hate sleeping in a different bed each night (some are comfortable, some are uncomfortable, some are dirty, some are clean. Perhaps tour riders need to supply their own mattresses (I have a very nice inflatable air mattress that is portable that I use in my van).

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The rule doesn't say "no motorhomes", it says the riders must stay in the hotels the race organisers has provided for them during races. No staying at the manison of some sponsor, no overnight trips to Girona for rest days and no camping in the parking lot.
The ASO (the organisation who owns and runs the TdF) is responsible for booking and paying all hotels the teams stay in. You might think that some of the smaller teams might get shafted with hotels while others big budget teams like SKY get the 5 star treatment. Actually, this isn’t the case (anymore). What happens is the ASO book all the hotels and visit each. They give all hotels a rating from 1-5. Then they allocate each team with a hotel so that they each get equal nights at 1’s, 2’s, 3’s etc. This way there is no favortism and equal number of nights in dodgy hotel rooms. http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/07/tales-of-le-tour-stage-1/

Re:

neineinei said:
The rule doesn't say "no motorhomes", it says the riders must stay in the hotels the race organisers has provided for them during races. No staying at the manison of some sponsor, no overnight trips to Girona for rest days and no camping in the parking lot.
The ASO (the organisation who owns and runs the TdF) is responsible for booking and paying all hotels the teams stay in. You might think that some of the smaller teams might get shafted with hotels while others big budget teams like SKY get the 5 star treatment. Actually, this isn’t the case (anymore). What happens is the ASO book all the hotels and visit each. They give all hotels a rating from 1-5. Then they allocate each team with a hotel so that they each get equal nights at 1’s, 2’s, 3’s etc. This way there is no favortism and equal number of nights in dodgy hotel rooms. http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/07/tales-of-le-tour-stage-1/

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS