• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No Doping in So Cal Masters?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Nope, never happens in masters racing, and definitely NOT in So Cal:

Monster Media’s Joshua Webster accepts doping suspension

Monster Media, as in Kayle Leogrande...

I would think So Cal would be a hotbed of master's doping.
Probably rival any other region in the USA for master's doping.

Certainly dirtier than masters racing in Austin lol.

So Cal is probably also a hotbed for prescription drug abuse.
Much more serious that.
And narcotics.
Serious abuse there.

The history of competitive cycling will also be forever changed as his 29th place finish at the Chevron Manhattan Beach Grand Prix on June 26 will now be stricken from the record books.

That's pretty funny stuff, even for a non-boulderite that's better than usual.

EDIT, FWIW He raced the Chevron Manhattan Beach as a Pro/1/2, not as a master.

A

Anonymous

Polish said:
I would think So Cal would be a hotbed of master's doping.
Probably rival any other region in the USA for master's doping.

Certainly dirtier than masters racing in Austin lol.

So Cal is probably also a hotbed for prescription drug abuse.
Much more serious that.
And narcotics.
Serious abuse there.

SoCal is a hotbed for anti-anxiety meds. Something you probably have experience with. lol.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
There is so much fail in this story.....

A 6th grade teacher testing positive for “multiple banned stimulants” so he can finish DFL?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
That's pretty funny stuff, even for a non-boulderite that's better than usual.

EDIT, FWIW He raced the Chevron Manhattan Beach as a Pro/1/2, not as a master.

Pretty funny, the velosnooze folks have no problem being snarky when it's a non-Boulderite rider. Compare that to how they treated Coyle who had similar results.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
The ban would negate his 91st place.....wait for it....in a crit in Tulsa! After 2 dnfs he really needed an edge, I guess.

In fairness... he was in the Pro/1 race (not masters) at Tulsa Tough which is an NRC race. One team mate (Leogrande) finished 9th and another teammate in the top 20. $12k purse that paid 25 deep so he made a little jack off this race.

Funny article, though. Made me chuckle.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Muzzin said:
In fairness... he was in the Pro/1 race (not masters) at Tulsa Tough which is an NRC race. One team mate (Leogrande) finished 9th and another teammate in the top 20. $12k purse that paid 25 deep so he made a little jack off this race.

This is why I would support a rule that relegates all team mates of a rider that tests positive. They're not DQ'd, and if it's a stage, they get to continue. But they don't get to enjoy any of the benefits that they might have gained in that particular race or stage because their teammate was cheating.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Zajicek undergoes disciplinary proceedings for buying EPO and Velonews not only refuses to name him but deletes all comments that mention his name. A masters bum tests positive (probably for over-the-counter stimulants) and Velonews delights in making fun of him.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Zajicek undergoes disciplinary proceedings for buying EPO and Velonews not only refuses to name him but deletes all comments that mention his name. A masters bum tests positive and Velonews delights in making fun of him.

Compare how velonews treated Chuck Coyle and this guy. No snark in the original Coyle article saying that he was suspended and even included a glowing quote about him and followed that with an article where Coyle blamed teammates.

This guy gets snark. Both were in their late 30s with similar results. One lived in Boulder.

btw Webster raced pro/1 at Tulsa not masters.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Zajicek undergoes disciplinary proceedings for buying EPO and Velonews not only refuses to name him but deletes all comments that mention his name. A masters bum tests positive (probably for over-the-counter stimulants) and Velonews delights in making fun of him.

Right on about selective coverage. My guess is the guy drank too much Red Bull, took some Sudafed and who knows what else that wouldn't help anything except to give him cramps.
91st in any crit is still nothing to dope for unless he fancied himself a highly paid domestique about to lose his job.
Kind of feel sorry for him because the stigma and crap he'll live with will be huge. On the other hand if he did this intentionally....

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
no names from me, but it has been rampant for freaking ever. all it takes is money.:mad:
the posturing is just laughable.

I'm starting to lobby the Masters Road Natz organizers for testing in Bend. If they announce it you can note who doesn't show up from SoCal and the East Coast.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I swiped this from Velonews comments and it is appropriately epic-

All credit to SD for this one:

Webster, man of godly power,
Tempted by fell pharma's tower,
Though made of stern and sterner stuff
Foundered hard at Tulsa Tough.

Sinews hard and muscles taut
His speed enhanced by things he bought,
And used, 'midst Okies' toughest race
To eke the ninety-first-est place.

His tawny skin awash in sweat
Great Josh peeled back the lycra net
And gripping tight 'twixt nail and thumb
The stream from shrunken nub he wrung.

In jackets white, like dogs gone feral
USADA testers kept all sterile,
Every drip and drab and drop
They curried back to their lab shop.

Where tests they ran upon his pee
Revealed inconsistency
That shew'd without a shred of doubt
That what went in was what came out.

Indeed, in races he'd contested
Varied drugs that he'd ingested,
Proved the source of godlike speed
In the metabolites he peed.

Oh boldione! Oh danazol!
Oh EPO! Clenbuterol!
Tho' you sped up his muscles' twitch
He's now head-first thrown in the ditch.

The sport at which he loved to play
Now asterisked, his resume
Forever marked, and fallen low
For as ye reap, so shall ye sow.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I wonder if he got any tips on his "Preparation" From his brother in law?

okay I have to ask: who is his brother in law? leogrande?

edited: never mind. I just read the comments on velonews and got the answer. I also saw that someone copied & pasted my post from here - that's weird.

TRENDING THREADS