• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No Katusha

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
serfla said:
Unexpected, but won't harm them that much.
Vuelta certain, Giro probable, Spanish week calendar certain, Northern spring campaign - harmless, Tour - painful loss.
Although I'm not sure how ambitious they'd be in the Tour. Late stage, if nothing else.

Europcar, Cofidis and Saur are sure locks, but the 4th spot is available.

serfla said:
Unexpected, but won't harm them that much.
Vuelta certain, Giro probable, Spanish week calendar certain, Northern spring campaign - harmless, Tour - painful loss.
Although I'm not sure how ambitious they'd be in the Tour. Late stage, if nothing else.

there is a big stretch when the team has the certainty to participate in all the Pro tour races rather than "wait & beg for an spot" to be part of them-letting alone that because of that "uncertainty"-the riders cannot schedule/prepare/train in advance for races until the get the green light.....

this is just awful:mad:

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Before making a raged comment, why not wait for a comment from the UCI....I'm interested in the reasons behind. Of course sporting-wise it is shocking...

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
serfla said:
Why was Contador nervous then?

Definitely not beyond the ASO to make surprise decisions when it comes to wildcards. Not saying they would have, but it wouldn't have shocked me if they'd snubbed Contador - wouldn't be the first time.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Tonight in Madrid "Gala AS del deporte" an event of spanish sport daily AS.

The podium of La Vuelta is awarded

So Purito can talk about the World Tour License

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Also interesting that Rabobank got a 2 year license. What are they going to do with it in 2014?

Rabobank will still have contractual obligations til 2016 if the cycling team doesn't find a new sponsor. I don't think it will get to that but they can still hold them to that contract.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
lol @ UCI.

What a bunch of amateurish idiots sit at the office of the UCI.
+1.

in the name of transparency the uci keeps everyone in the dark as to their chances in the WT....this is not amateurish, this is straight from the book of professional racketeering...'if you fark with me, i will fark you twice over and you will never have a clue how/when/why'

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Devilen said:
Danish papers are guessing at it might be due to Ekimov's position in the team, and his ties to the organization around Armstrong

Really? Then why does the UCI simply pick and choose? Why weren't flags raised for Saxo Bank? Or, does the UCI simply choose to accept Hamilton's testimony when it comes to Armstrong but not when it comes to Riis? I realize that l'affair Armstrong has tainted much of the sport, but it shouldn't temper the UCI's ability to be equitable.

The decision to not grant a license to Katusha seems strange, especially since it comes with no justification.

As much as I currently despise the UCI they must have some valid reason for not including the team of the current WT winner. After my initial outraged reaction I've cooled off and await to hear their reasoning. To say they handled it badly would be an understatement though.

If it is clinic related they wouldn't have referred them for a conti license right? So more likely administrative or financial?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:
As much as I currently despise the UCI they must have some valid reason for not including the team of the current WT winner. After my initial outraged reaction I've cooled off and await to hear their reasoning. To say they handled it badly would be an understatement though.

If it is clinic related they wouldn't have referred them for a conti license right? So more likely administrative or financial?

If it was administrative or financial, they could have granted a temp license like they did with Lampre a few years ago. I think it was for two months, enough time to allow Lampre to get their books in order.

I think it was either Saronni or Walsh writing about Saronni that said that Lawyers and Accountants are only necessary to keep your mistress off the books. Or something to that effect.

trompe le monde said:
If it was administrative or financial, they could have granted a temp license like they did with Lampre a few years ago. I think it was for two months, enough time to allow Lampre to get their books in order.

Operative word there is 'could'.......

This is the UCI, they 'could' do just about anything; they are whack jobs LOL!

But clinic makes no sense or why?
"The request from the team Katusha for registration in first division has been rejected. In accordance with UCI regulations, this team’s application has been forwarded to the UCI administration, so that the latter may assess the possibility of registering this team as a UCI Professional Continental Team."

Surely clinic issues would be the same at conti level, at least one would think so!

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The wind has changed. Even at UCI. Any whiff of UCI "supporting" doping is no longer tenable. They have to be seen to be doing the right thing. Hence Argos in. Saxo/Contador is just too big a force to leave out, so Katusha gets the chop. And it also sends a strong signal to Comrade Makarov to back off on leadership challenges. But this move has really forced the Makarov-McQuaid battle out in the open. Expect fireworks as Russia is not going to take this lying down. But first blood for Pat on his new found mission to be seen to be clean.

This thread belongs in The Clinic.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Tinman said:
The wind has changed. Even at UCI. Any whiff of UCI "supporting" doping is no longer tenable. They have to be seen to be doing the right thing. Hence Argos in. Saxo/Contador is just too big a force to leave out, so Katusha gets the chop. And it also sends a strong signal to Comrade Makarov to back off on leadership challenges. But this move has really forced the Makarov-McQuaid battle out in the open. Expect fireworks as Russia is not going to take this lying down. But first blood for Pat on his new found mission to be seen to be clean.

This thread belongs in The Clinic.

In the real world, we don't know the reason yet, nor do we know which of the teams sent for examination was the next most likely to get the chop. It could just as likely have been Lotto, FDJ or RSNT.

Being pure speculation, perhaps it's your post that belongs in the clinc along with outdated stereo types like "comrade" and team/rider insinuations, rather than the thread?

TRENDING THREADS