• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No Katusha

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
If Purito left Katusha then I would say Cannondale, BMC, and Lampre would be his best options. All have good teams that could support him but their main GT leaders are aging and are no longer much of a factor in GT's

Of course Katusha could get a invite fairly easily to all of the key races Purito would target, so staying with them might be a better option then changing teams so late.

adamski101 said:
Canondale could be a good fit. Basso is there only real GT leader and he is in final stages of his career. They don't have an obvious leader for the TDF next year, so Purito could be a good fit for them?

They have Sagan for TDF, but it wouldn't be difficult to support him and Purito. Especially since Sagan doesn't need a train.

maltiv said:
Well I think most decent riders have clauses in their contract allowing them to leave if the team is relegated. Even Kristoff has such a clause, so he's free to find a new team if he wishes.

Right, the problem is that the Spaniard has but a month to resign, however, his market value diminishes considerably as a result.

Katusha releases angry statement regarding WorldTour snub
http://www.katushateam.com/2012/12/official-statement-of-katusha-team/

According to this fax, financial criterion is the issue, but what exactly? :eek:
A92rSWSCEAA-gSq.jpg

cineteq said:

According to this fax, financial criterion is the issue, but what exactly? :eek:
A92rSWSCEAA-gSq.jpg

My question is how can a financial criterion be at the basis of the cause, when as far as financial stability goes there should be no problem, given that the money arrives from Gazprom, the world's major extractor of natural gas and Itera, another colossal of the energy sector.

As far as the administrative concern goes, Katusha has thrice changed managers in just as many years. Might there have been some perplexity over this at UCI and Ernst&Young? In any case the focal point could be ethical, since the team is now conducted since October 8 by Viatcheslav Ekimov, once among the most faithful to Lance Armstrong at US Postal and then Discovery. Yet above all among those wearing the Katusha uniform are Denis Menchov, Mikhail Ignatiev, Vladimir Gusev and Alexander Kolobnev, who are cited among those in Benedetto Roberti's Padova doping investigation. In light of USADA, might the UCI simply desire to avert further bad press out of an eventual Padova scenario?

cineteq said:

A92rSWSCEAA-gSq.jpg

So.... "money" is now an issue-but isn't KATUSHA one of the teams with the biggest budget in Pro-Cycling? I honestly haven't heard of any delayed payments to riders & staff, or cuts to preserve the team.....

Pat & UCI better come up with a "serious" answer to that BS, otherwise this issue is going to get messy & perhaps could end up in court....

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Yes. All should be brought to light soon.

uh... that entire case is just about money swerving. and as always a storm in a glass fo water. weren't we going to be told by this already early november? oh those silly italians and their investigations that never come to anything :rolleyes:

Ryo Hazuki said:
uh... that entire case is just about money swerving. and as always a storm in a glass fo water. weren't we going to be told by this already early november? oh those silly italians and their investigations that never come to anything :rolleyes:

Well evidently those silly Italians contributed significantly to the USADA conclusions.

"In fact, the only Russian team, where the majority of riders are Russian citizens, has been excluded from participation in races of the World Tour. Thus, this decision of the UCI has suspended Russia as a country from participation in cycling competitions of the highest level."

they piszed them off. i hope mother russia will retaliate big time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eAH6nreIvG0#t=5s

did i say how much i love this song?:)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
<snip>...cited among those in Benedetto Roberti's Padova doping investigation. In light of USADA, might the UCI simply desire to avert further bad press out of an eventual Padova scenario?
i doubt THAT was the root cause. if it indeed was the cause, lampre would have been kicked out too coz half the team is on roberti's list.

yet, they got in.

i see only 2 possible reasons (separately or in combination). (i) political (ii) financial.

the political i reckon refers to holzer-the-old-boy replacement by eki-the-noob. the former was actually recommended by the uci when makarov was seeking replacement for tchmil. mcphat never liked tchmil for his political ambitions including the uci presidency. then, there is this lack of trust by the 'traditional' cycling establishment of the encroachment from the east. the old boys did not like holzer's departure.

the financial reason, which is probably just a cover for the political, is likely related to katusha's well known lack of transparency and shady financing. their budget is much bigger than what the uci is let on...

avanti said:
In October of this year UCI stated Katusha had a PT licence for 2013
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENe...t=&CharToList=&txtSiteSearch=Katusha&LangId=1

I can see this as a basis for a law suite since a team has a lot of planning to do for the upcoming season.

The UCI is in urgent need of overhaul.
From that page:

for UCI ProTeams that already have a licence – and that rank among the top 15 teams from the sporting point of view – the registration process will be completed by 1st November if no irregularities are brought to notice; files with non-conformities will be passed on to the Licence Commission (article 2.15.011 of the UCI Constitution and Regulations);

rhubroma said:
My question is how can a financial criterion be at the basis of the cause, when as far as financial stability goes there should be no problem, given that the money arrives from Gazprom, the world's major extractor of natural gas and Itera, another colossal of the energy sector.

As far as the administrative concern goes, Katusha has thrice changed managers in just as many years. Might there have been some perplexity over this at UCI and Ernst&Young? In any case the focal point could be ethical, since the team is now conducted since October 8 by Viatcheslav Ekimov, once among the most faithful to Lance Armstrong at US Postal and then Discovery. Yet above all among those wearing the Katusha uniform are Denis Menchov, Mikhail Ignatiev, Vladimir Gusev and Alexander Kolobnev, who are cited among those in Benedetto Roberti's Padova doping investigation. In light of USADA, might the UCI simply desire to avert further bad press out of an eventual Padova scenario?

Wouldn't the UCI have the bad press issue with Katusha as a Pro Continental Team? Relegating them to the lower level doesn't diminish the potential bad press IMO.

Publicus said:
Wouldn't the UCI have the bad press issue with Katusha as a Pro Continental Team? Relegating them to the lower level doesn't diminish the potential bad press IMO.

Everything is in light of the gravity of the situation revolving around the Armstrong case, or so it would seem, of which Lampre is not a factor. This appears to be politicized politics. The economic cause seems, therefore, politically motivated.

TRENDING THREADS