• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 264 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
Yeah, that was probably the right tactic. Still, not as bad as him having to commentate the 30km race at the last Olympics...

Usch, yeah.. that was one of the more surreal things ever in XC skiing. Felt sorry for her that day.

Karlsson's wrist is messed up.

Heidi with some bruises as well.

Apparently she's been through some stuff with insect bites, antibiotics and "something every month".

Easily my favorite skier, her personality runs circles around most.

Usch, yeah.. that was one of the more surreal things ever in XC skiing. Felt sorry for her that day.

Heidi with some bruises as well.

Apparently she's been through some stuff with insect bites, antibiotics and "something every month".

Easily my favorite skier, her personality runs circles around most.
Is it true that Heidi needed some professional help to deal with her fear of getting Covid?
Karlsson's wrist/forearm looked bad, it wouldn't surprise me if she suffered a fracture.

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
Is it true that Heidi needed some professional help to deal with her fear of getting Covid?
Karlsson's wrist/forearm looked bad, it wouldn't surprise me if she suffered a fracture.

Don't know about that, might be, she certainly is a worrier so wouldn't surprise me at all.
She also has unusually high levels of empathy and ridiculously low self esteem. Just a lovely mess really! ;)
In post race interview she labelled her own brilliant move in last bend "lucky" and obviously not angry at Ebba, but rather concerned if she might have hurt any of the swedes when crashing into them..

Karlsson left arena in Ambulance accoring to expressen.se, so fracture is definately in the realm of possibility.

Don't know about that, might be, she certainly is a worrier so wouldn't surprise me at all.
She also has unusually high levels of empathy and ridiculously low self esteem. Just a lovely mess really! ;)
In post race interview she labelled her own brilliant move in last bend "lucky" and obviously not angry at Ebba, but rather concerned if she might have hurt any of the swedes when crashing into them..

Karlsson left arena in Ambulance accoring to expressen.se, so fracture is definately in the realm of possibility.
Karlsson was crying and holding her wrist, didn't look too good.
Yeah, I remember her beating all the other Norwegian Women in Toblach (that was before she had won a single race) only for her to get beaten by Diggins when I was watching the race live there, I felt really sorry for her. She did get her first win a few days later, so everything was fine.

I am as fed up of Norwegian dominance in cross-country as anybody, but I adore Heidi Weng and considering everything she's achieved, the relentless disasters that have befallen her when it comes to Championships makes it quite satisfying to see her get that silver. A bit like how it was right in the middle of Bjørgen/Johaug crushing literally every race when Heidi winning her first race became one of the most celebrated things ever seen in this thread.

Ebba definitely cost Frida, first with the poor cornering blocking her allowing Heidi to get ahead of them in the corner, then with some very shaky cornering into the stadium which clearly blocked her teammate, I know she was trying to keep Frida behind her for the medal, but as we saw on the home straight, Ebba was just cooked at that point and Karlsson went past her with ease; she would almost certainly have caught Heidi with a bit more of a slingshot around that final corner rather than being baulked. But hey, Ebba was trying to win a medal too so I don't fault her for it, just note that had she not been there, we're probably looking at Karlsson with silver and Heidi with bronze.

Reactions: Bubba
It's slightly longer and slightly more difficult lap than the CC team sprint, but I agree, there could well be 6 teams not lapped by the end.

Edit: 213 meters longer and 17 meters of climbing more to be precise

Edit 2: I won't count out Germany yet even from this position. They do have what I think is the nominally strongest CC team

Nope. The depth of Norway is just incredible as their 5th best athlete in the WC standings (I think he missed some races though) performed very well and justified his selection.

Germany a bit lackluster though even with another medal.

And pretty straightforward for Austria.

Trust me, the Skis are so different that it doesn't really translate, the cornering is totally different.

Yes the skis are very different, but xc-skiers would benefit from doing more alpine training. Balance, confidence, reflexes - and more would improve their downhill abilities. You can clearly see that Helene Fossesholm does benefit from MTB and playing a lot on skis downhill. She gains a lot when there is difficult downhill sections with lots of corners.

I am as fed up of Norwegian dominance in cross-country as anybody, but I adore Heidi Weng and considering everything she's achieved, the relentless disasters that have befallen her when it comes to Championships makes it quite satisfying to see her get that silver. A bit like how it was right in the middle of Bjørgen/Johaug crushing literally every race when Heidi winning her first race became one of the most celebrated things ever seen in this thread.

Ebba definitely cost Frida, first with the poor cornering blocking her allowing Heidi to get ahead of them in the corner, then with some very shaky cornering into the stadium which clearly blocked her teammate, I know she was trying to keep Frida behind her for the medal, but as we saw on the home straight, Ebba was just cooked at that point and Karlsson went past her with ease; she would almost certainly have caught Heidi with a bit more of a slingshot around that final corner rather than being baulked. But hey, Ebba was trying to win a medal too so I don't fault her for it, just note that had she not been there, we're probably looking at Karlsson with silver and Heidi with bronze.

Weng wheelsucked for much of that race also scramed at the top of her lungs, interrupting Frida’s interview after the relay two days ago. No respect for her fellow racer. I liked her much more earlier in her career. Now she comes off as cringe.

Reactions: DenisMenchov
Yes the skis are very different, but xc-skiers would benefit from doing more alpine training. Balance, confidence, reflexes - and more would improve their downhill abilities. You can clearly see that Helene Fossesholm does benefit from MTB and playing a lot on skis downhill. She gains a lot when there is difficult downhill sections with lots of corners.

She’s also perfectly built for corners and downhills. She’s small and has a low center of gravity.

Well, Johaug in a league of her own, so nothing to see there. Not quite as dominant as Holmenkollen 2016 (4 minutes), but not far off.

Interesting race for silver medal though, with some falls to spice it up. Thankfully nobody broke equipment, or it would have been over there. Andersson and Stadlober had to do the most to try to get a gap, because they have the worst sprint abilities, but didn't quite manage it.

So yeah, H.Weng finally gets something out of championships, and all she had to do was to try to hang on as she expectedly had the best sprinting abilities on the last hill.

Swedish women have got a medal from every event apart from the messed up relay, so I guess they can still count these championships as a success with 2 golds included. It's just Johaug is too good and in a league of her own.

Tough on Stadlober to miss out. Hennig tried to compete for a medal for a while as well, but didn't make it. And just like Roponen in freestyle, another old-timer peaks at the right time (Ishida), but just narrowly misses out on top 10.

On the other hand, it seems Kalla ran out of gas after the first two events (although she clearly had bad skis in relay, like Golberg yesterday). Still 5th and 6th is a good outcome for her from these championships after all this covid-mess and interrupted preparation, but this relay is going to haunt her for a long while.

Well, Johaug in a league of her own, so nothing to see there. Not quite as dominant as Holmenkollen 2016 (4 minutes), but not far off.

Johaugs technique is far better now than in 2016. She works more economically and it just goes faster. She probably could push even harder if she needed to. In 2016 there was more of a tactical race behind her. This time the pursuiters pushed each other and kept up a higher pace. So I don't think we´ve ever seen Johaug better than now. Her dedication to working on the technical details and get even more out of her capacity just puts her a world apart from the rest of her competitors. Now it is all down to her own motivation how long her reign will last.

Incredibly close team event in ski jumping, with Germany prevailing in the end. Austria and Poland just missed out. Japan somehow ends all team events in 4th position (be it NoCo or ski jumping). Norway underperformed (even considering they didn't have Granerud).

Austria can be satisfied with these championships. 4 golds is sort of a payback for Seefeld WCH, where they won a lot of silver and bronze, but somehow no gold.

TRENDING THREADS