• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 265 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anderson should spend some time on alpine slopes with XC skies.
I agree with you.

I just watched the newest WM-Stammtisch and my god, you're spot on when it comes to Schlickenrieder. The athletes peaked too early because they are too eager to get results early in the season. Talking about how Hennig never was a serious medal candidate on this course and that she was overeager and did too much work (valid points) but it should be your job as a coach to talk with your athletes and work on a tactic for the race. Of course he also blamed the previous coaches once again and talks about "15 years of stagnation" before he became the trainer and hides behind the talk about new scientific training.
Instead of saying that Gimmlers two 10th places are a great starting point for her and they we'll see how far she can go along the way he already puts pressure on her and says that he has zero doubts that she can medals in the future and that she has the overall skillset to beat everyone if she keeps pushing herself in the training sessions. The funniest thing is that he wasn't even the one who convinced her to ski the 30km race, the other skiers talked her into it.:rolleyes:

I am as fed up of Norwegian dominance in cross-country as anybody, but I adore Heidi Weng and considering everything she's achieved, the relentless disasters that have befallen her when it comes to Championships makes it quite satisfying to see her get that silver.
Weng behaved unbelievably disgraceful after the relay. A devastated Frida Karlsson bravely met Norwegian television when Weng runs in interrupting the live interview with screams and cheers. Not so satisfying to see her get that silver before Frida...

Weng behaved unbelievably disgraceful after the relay. A devastated Frida Karlsson bravely met Norwegian television when Weng runs in interrupting the live interview with screams and cheers. Not so satisfying to see her get that silver before Frida...

So tomorrow is the D day for Semikov. It's the race he's been preparing for, well basically his whole life. 50km classic is by far the worst Norwegian discipline (apart from Northug they had very little medals in it) in recent years. There are only two better classic skiers in the field tomorrow than him - Bolshunov and Niskanen, but Niskanen's been subpar the last couple of years and, he skied a lot during the Championships already, so I wouldn't put my money on him beating Ilia. I have to say I love the guys that stick to classic style like Bauer and Olsson in recent years. Really really hoping he can have the race of his life tomorrow and take at least a bronze medal, but secretly I believe it can be an even brigther one.

If it was freestyle, I'd have Holund as the biggest favourite considering his form ATM but even in classic I think he'll be in there (not sure he'll win). Based on the skiathlon performance, you'd have to favour Bolshunov again assuming he's not completely wrecked after all his races.

If there are a number of attacks and Bolshunov has to try to bring back all of them, he won’t win, he’s already at his limit. The pace needs to be good, but not up and down for him to do well. Hopefully his skis are good and his three teammates will have good races and will be up at or near the front helping him. Klæbo needs to be dropped before the final lap, I think, otherwise he’ll just sit there and wait for the final few hundred meters to attack.

Bolshuov should maybe have skipped one or two competitions. I wonder how the conditions are today, some of the skiers need firm tracks more than others.
it's the final day, so I'd assume that they'll go all out with the salt, if it's needed.
Iversen looked really strong in the classic part of the relay, he could be an interesting weapon for the Norwegian team.
Klaebo has also raced all but 1 of the races, so fatigue could also be a factor for him.
I'll be cheering for Niskanen and Semikov.

It's hard to tell, which one of the Norwegians would actually be the strongest. In 2020 Holmenkollen 50 km Krüger was 2nd and Iversen 3rd. Golberg won the Ski Tour with 30km classic pursuit. And Holund, while better in freestyle, isn't a slouch in classic either. Kläbo is really the odd one out here.

TRENDING THREADS