• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 267 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I didn't like what Mäki did before and I don't like what Bolshunov did here, since they're going for a suboptimal lane to block the person behind. However, what they did is probably legal according to the current rules. What happened with Bolshunov before and Klæbo here is then the result of not having anywhere to go.

Something needs to be changed to reduce the chances of this happening again.

Reactions: meat puppet
I think that the same rules apply to Lahti, Bolshunov shouldn't be relegated but I do think that he tried to squeeze Klaebo out. Disqualifying Klaebo would be ridiculous he raced as he even had to go outside of the track to overtake Bolshunov. Iversen finally with a great individual race in a World Championships and the Russians disappointed again.

Let's just hope that these performances from Klaebo in the longer races don't become the norm otherwise even those will become boring. If this result stands he already has 10 gold medals in big Championships which is ridiculous at his age.

Last edited:
Having watched the replay Klæbo keeps his right ski in the air above the blue barrier. The ski doesn't pass on the outside of the barrier.

I don't know it this is the main issue here though. According to the current rules Bolshunov gets to decide which lane he wants to use. What Klæbo did is questionable while Bolshunov is within the rules.

Anyway, where did this performance by Klaebo come from?! He was never this good in any 50km race. Amazing form. It looks like he just had a bad day in skiathlon.
I think that the ski change played it's role. He came back to the front group by himself (earlier than Niskanen even) and his skis were really good in the end as well so he didn't lose anything to Iversen or Bolshunov who changed one lap later. I think that he saved a lot of energy on that lap despite having to close a little gap to the front.

Anyway, where did this performance by Klaebo come from?! He was never this good in any 50km race. Amazing form. It looks like he just had a bad day in skiathlon.

He has worked hard on his endurance this past year. It was a question of time until he would hold all the way. I am not surprised he made it now. He has had this 50km in his sights for some time.

Reports on NRK that Bolshunov will boycott the medal ceremony no matter what the conclusion is. He needs to grow up. Russia is playing the victim in all matters, it is just annoying and it won't bring them any sympathies.

Still nothing clear on who won this.

He has worked hard on his endurance this past year. It was a question of time until he would hold all the way. I am not surprised he made it now. He has had this 50km in his sights for some time.

Reports on NRK that Bolshunov will boycott the medal ceremony no matter what the conclusion is. He needs to grow up. Russia is playing the victim in all matters, it is just annoying and it won't bring them any sympathies.

Still nothing clear on who won this.

No, the Norwegians need to learn how to ski fair.