• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 309 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tandrevold needed medical help after the sprint, and had a scary collapse at Oberhof a couple of years ago, it seems like a similar issue may have come up? The Oberhof issue was apparently caused by her holding her breath too long in the range and obviously here is at high altitude? I was thinking Sola was a threat for the medal because she was gaining so much time despite constant misses, so although the cameras picked up Tandrevold with her arms down by her side looking spent, there were no other athletes in view or context so when I saw Sola chasing a red ski suit to the line for 3rd I assumed it was Tandrevold holding off Sola, rather than Eckhoff, and then it was like, where is Ingrid?

Tandrevold needed medical help after the sprint, and had a scary collapse at Oberhof a couple of years ago, it seems like a similar issue may have come up? The Oberhof issue was apparently caused by her holding her breath too long in the range and obviously here is at high altitude? I was thinking Sola was a threat for the medal because she was gaining so much time despite constant misses, so although the cameras picked up Tandrevold with her arms down by her side looking spent, there were no other athletes in view or context so when I saw Sola chasing a red ski suit to the line for 3rd I assumed it was Tandrevold holding off Sola, rather than Eckhoff, and then it was like, where is Ingrid?

Yeah, me too, I just realised a second before the commentators that she was wearing Eckhoff's number (and hair ;) ).

Just like with some crashes in cycling, I think it was a bit disgraceful to show those pictures of Tandrevold being overtaken. Everyone already knew what had happened anyway.

It would have been great to have seen how Eckhoff overtook Sola though.

I don't agree. Sure, it wasn't a fun thing to watch but it was a part of the race.

And I don't think every part of the course is covered by cameras but I would have liked ro see much more of Eckhoff's last lap. She was in 7th after the last shooting and not really that close to the ones in front.

I don't know enough about the issue, should it be a retirement, or is it medically manageable?

Could go either way. Bjørndalen competed for 10 years with it, but it did finally force him to retire.

Anyway, it hasn't been confirmed yet so she might have just collapsed because of the altitude. It looked just like Brink though, and with her history it seems likely.

That is going to massively impact in the relay team. Both emotionally, and I assume losing their clear number 3 athlete.
I don't know enough about the issue, should it be a retirement, or is it medically manageable?
It wasn't as scary as Brunet's collapse in Sochi, but it's worth noting that that was a career-ender.

Hopefully it becomes one of those situations where the team simply needs to manage her workload because she doesn't have the durability but can compete with the very best when on form, because apart from a handful of elite talents in the crystal globe race, the biathlon calendar is far more punishing than the XC one where you can rotate people into and out of the team based on the competition format (you likely aren't entering Valnes or Sundling in 50k classic, and you aren't entering Stadlober and Røthe in sprints, for example). She was absolutely elite for 9,75km today, but absolutely painful to watch for 250m at the end, but at least unlike Oberhof and unlike MLB she was able to get to the line under her own steam before getting help.

That is going to massively impact in the relay team. Both emotionally, and I assume losing their clear number 3 athlete.

Yes, Tandrevold was actually the second best Norwegian biathlete in these Olympics (above Eckhoff) so it will definitely have a big impact for the relay as Kalkenberg is slow and Lien is erractic. I am not a doctor so I don't know if she should stop profissional sport or not but I hope she sorts out her medical issues.

Anyway, this was probably the most dominant performance from a female athlete that I have ever seen, can't see anyone beating Olsbu in the mass-start if she keeps her shooting level. Another very good race from Elvira Öberg too a shame she isn't at the same skiing level of the World Cups.

Last edited:
Late on the ball, but what an amazing men's relay! Whatever issues you might have with the ROCs, they really made a solid performance on every leg, with legend Juha Mieto (Ustiugov's lookalike), giving them the first win in 10 Olympics. Other performances that was heartwarming was Ivo Niskanen's Sisyphos performance, young Poromaa's incredible leg and of course elderman Magnificat's all out bleed with inferior skis. Klaebo however, as often, shows no respect to fellow competitors and displays his disinterest in the run when the gold is out of reach. Glees on Haggstrom who struggles to keep up a non-existing pace and mocks heroic Magnificat with his superior skis. No joy in the Norwegian team after a silver. Also, solid performances in the first legs by Germany and Italy.

Last edited:
75380087.jpg

Italy rushing in and helping out. Nice to see. I am sure Ingrid is in good hands. And the fact that this is not the first time might give some hope that this is under control and that she might recover.

Yeah, me too, I just realised a second before the commentators that she was wearing Eckhoff's number (and hair ;) ).
I saw Eckhoff's name come up on the results and was like, have the cameras just missed Tandrevold coming in and her transponder isn't working? I mean that occasionally happens in cycling, and obviously there was a Norwegian with a black snood congratulating Eckhoff, but then I realised there were only two Norwegians so that had to be Marte and crucially the Datacenter agreed with the TV so Ingrid had disappeared. I figured she must have crashed until we saw her being swamped on the finishing straight.

Of course both the great wins and the big defeats are a part of what makes sport fascinating, but in this case it didn't add any value to me.
I think though, the fact that this was somebody who at the last time check looked nailed on for a medal and then completely disappeared, there was always going to be questions as to what happened that merited the replay so it could be discussed and context given. For those of us who watch the sport regularly and know Tandrevold has a history of medical issues and a couple of similar episodes in the past, it might not add anything and seem voyeuristic, but at the Olympics there will also be a lot of casual and first-time viewers that would be like, did she fall? Is she sick? What happened?

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I think though, the fact that this was somebody who at the last time check looked nailed on for a medal and then completely disappeared, there was always going to be questions as to what happened that merited the replay so it could be discussed and context given. For those of us who watch the sport regularly and know Tandrevold has a history of medical issues and a couple of similar episodes in the past, it might not add anything and seem voyeuristic, but at the Olympics there will also be a lot of casual and first-time viewers that would be like, did she fall? Is she sick? What happened?

Sure, but I just feel for Tandrevold here, and I doubt many viewers would really like to be exposed like that themselves.

Are the Norwegian coaches and medical staff not saying anything? When this happens a few time in a season, then it’s probably good to pull her out before it’s too late.
She's changed clothes and eaten, now she's resting, they will check how she's doing before they decide about the relay. No detailed in-depth medical examination before she's going home, obviously they will keep a close eye on how she is doing.