• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 366 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great for Hauser that she finally gets a WC medal in the single mixed relay. A shame that it wasn't with Eder, but Komatz did a pretty good job.
Komatz was already crazy good in the mixed relay. Hauser has been really all over the place during this WC. One day she shoots really well but skis really slow, then she skis really fast but misses a lot. Great to see her put it together today.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
This could be a bit of a controversial opinion but I think that the single mixed relay should replace the mixed relay in the Olympic program. The mixed relay is just like the traditional relay but with 2 men and 2 women while the single mixed relay offers a different format that enables weaker teams to be competitive (like Austria today) because it only requires two athletes and the shorter loops reward better shooters.

Öberg with a great race yesterday and awesome shooting from Persson and Comola hitting all 20 targets. As for JTB, he doesn't need more comments, dominance like never seen before in this sport.

It’s not really Moldova, it’s Russians skiing for Moldova.
Ah, the South Korea methode...
On the same note Chernousov tried to make a comeback under Swiss flag for the last Olympics, but his results in the OPA and the Swiss FIS races were just not good enough.
I'm almost surprise that the Austrians aren't trying to get any Russian athletes atm, poaching athletes from former Eastern Block countries is peak Austria.;)

Personally I think the Single Mixed Relay is a crap format which has to be held at specific venues to be of any merit whatsoever, due to the 1,5km skiing loops being too short for any significant gain unless you have either significant climbing directly out of or directly into the stadium and at most venues you end up with a significant part of the lap being the flat loop around the stadium, especially at places like Otepää where they have two stadium sections adjacent to one another, or Khanty-Mansiysk where they loop around the stadium then loop around the range. Oberhof is just about the best possible venue on the circuit for the format and gives a much better impression of the race than most I've seen.

It is biathlon's equivalent to the Team Sprint, and I hold it in similar esteem to that which I hold the Team Sprint.

Reactions: Ghirmay4Ever
Ah, the South Korea methode...
On the same note Chernousov tried to make a comeback under Swiss flag for the last Olympics, but his results in the OPA and the Swiss FIS races were just not good enough.
I'm almost surprise that the Austrians aren't trying to get any Russian athletes atm, poaching athletes from former Eastern Block countries is peak Austria.;)

Yeah, I mean Botvinov turned out to be a good move for the Austrians.

It seems that the weather could be the one stopping JTB from winning 7 gold medals at this World Championships.

It seems that the weather could be the one stopping JTB from winning 7 gold medals at this World Championships.

85km winds, anybody could win. You might as well just ski straight onto the penalty loop for 5 laps instead of wasting time getting your shots off.

85km winds, anybody could win. You might as well just ski straight onto the penalty loop for 5 laps instead of wasting time getting your shots off.
Johannes Kühn once actually did that. In Oberhof, in fact.

Well, actually, the rules prevent that because you get penalties for shots not fired if you leave the range without closing the targets, so he stopped on the mat and just shot his five shots in about five seconds in the approximate vicinity of where he was supposed to shoot, then loaded his spares as fast as possible and just shot them away, thinking it would be quicker to do 5 penalty loops than to try to manage the fog and wind on the range at the time.

He was wrong, though.

Reactions: search