• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 395 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
History has been written in women ski jumping in last days in Vikersund (Norway), as women (15 best ski jumpers) were for the first time in history allowed to compete on a ski flying hill . As expected, records were broken on big scale (+ 70 meters compared to previous records), especially by slovenian Ema Klinec and canadian Alexandria Loutitt . Women have shown, despite scepticism, they are able to participate in ski flying and progress cannot be stopped. Chapeau!
Current record from today by Ema Klinec: 226 meters.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R71doDMND_c

History has been written in women ski jumping in last days in Vikersund (Norway), as women (15 best ski jumpers) were for the first time in history allowed to compete on a ski flying hill . As expected, records were broken on big scale (+ 70 meters compared to previous records), especially by slovenian Ema Klinec and canadian Alexandria Loutitt . Women have shown, despite scepticism, they are able to participate in ski flying and progress cannot be stopped. Chapeau!
Current record from today by Ema Klinec: 226 meters.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R71doDMND_c
Honestly, women might be more competitive vs men in ski flying, since it relies less on your explosive jump and your flight phase becomes more important.

It was Ben Ogden this and Ben Ogden that in the men's race, until Klaebo and the rest of the Norwegian crew took over, that is. Why the commentators thought Ogden even stood a chance...
I mean, if the American coaches would work with him on his technique (mainly in classic) and his pacing strategy (mainly in sprints, he should try to do what Svahn tried yesterday, full gas starting on the first hill and not right out of the gate and maybe not in every single heat) he could actually be a lot better. Then again, the Americans also totally overraced Schumacher 2 years ago and he hasn't been the same since.

Öberg ends the season with a win. Nice to see Olsbu Roiseland and Chevalier Bouchet on the podium in their last race. The only downside was the Norwegians flooding the goal area with flags and champagne to celebrate MOR and taking away all the focus from the winner and other skiers.

Russian Ski Championship 2023

Tyumen

Men

Skiathlon, 15+15 km

1. Alexander Bolshunov - 1:11.00.2

2. Sergey Ustyugov - 5.3

3. Ivan Yakimushkin - 29.3

4. Alexey Chervotkin - 29.4

5. Denis Spitsov - 29.8

6. Anton Timashov - 30.4

7. Egor Mitroshin - 1.13.0

8. Sergey Ardashev - 1.13.2

9. Andrey Larkov - 1:13.4

10. Ilya Semikov - 1.13.8

Very strong race by Bolshunov and Ustyugov

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Russian Ski Championship 2023

Tyumen

Men

Skiathlon, 15+15 km

1. Alexander Bolshunov - 1:11.00.2

2. Sergey Ustyugov - 5.3

3. Ivan Yakimushkin - 29.3

4. Alexey Chervotkin - 29.4

5. Denis Spitsov - 29.8

6. Anton Timashov - 30.4

7. Egor Mitroshin - 1.13.0

8. Sergey Ardashev - 1.13.2

9. Andrey Larkov - 1:13.4

10. Ilya Semikov - 1.13.8

Very strong race by Bolshunov and Ustyugov

Ustiugov fell in the last km, when he was right behind Bolshunov. Those two would easily contend for podiums in any distance race on the WC, and the way Ustiugov skied the sprint yesterday, he’d contend for sprints as well.

Watched that full race. It was arguably the best men’s race of the season, including the World Cup. Ustiugov peaking at the right time. Cramer is still writing his training plan and they communicate fairly regularly, from what I’ve read and heard. I really hope he doesn’t retire at the end of the season. He could easily ski until the Milano Olympics and contend for the podium in just about any race.

Jan 4, 2023
Visit site
All benefitted greatly from first Domracheva retiring and then Dahlmeier.

I mean, if the American coaches would work with him on his technique (mainly in classic) and his pacing strategy (mainly in sprints, he should try to do what Svahn tried yesterday, full gas starting on the first hill and not right out of the gate and maybe not in every single heat) he could actually be a lot better. Then again, the Americans also totally overraced Schumacher 2 years ago and he hasn't been the same since.
Ogden is the most talented of the young Americans(both male and female), he's fun to watch but his tactics are entirely suicidal but no doubt in the 'let's have fun' spirit that is a prerequisite for being on the national team.

All benefitted greatly from first Domracheva retiring and then Dahlmeier.

Ogden is the most talented of the young Americans(both male and female), he's fun to watch but his tactics are entirely suicidal but no doubt in the 'let's have fun' spirit that is a prerequisite for being on the national team.
I actually rate Schumacher higher than him when it comes to talent. Great results in the Junior ranks and top 10 results in the World Cup at the age of 20, in his first world cup season.

Watched that full race. It was arguably the best men’s race of the season, including the World Cup. Ustiugov peaking at the right time. Cramer is still writing his training plan and they communicate fairly regularly, from what I’ve read and heard. I really hope he doesn’t retire at the end of the season. He could easily ski until the Milano Olympics and contend for the podium in just about any race.
Ustiugov finally had a season without injuries or having to recover from covid. No pressure to qualify for the world championship either, in the end it looks beloved patriot really benefitted from a less stressful domestic season.

Ustiugov finally had a season without injuries or having to recover from covid. No pressure to qualify for the world championship either, in the end it looks beloved patriot really benefitted from a less stressful domestic season.

Well he doesn’t have a strong summer training base. He started training later than normal. I don’t think he's reached even 1/3 if his potential. Even his best season, 2016/2017 he had an injury and had to miss the first weekend of WC racing. At his best I think he is better than Bolshunov and Klæbo, we just haven’t seen too much of it.

Well he doesn’t have a strong summer training base. He started training later than normal. I don’t think he's reached even 1/3 if his potential. Even his best season, 2016/2017 he had an injury and had to miss the first weekend of WC racing. At his best I think he is better than Bolshunov and Klæbo, we just haven’t seen too much of it.
Yeah, I also forgot that he wasn't cleared to race by the team doctors at the start of the domestic season because of his high blood pressure.
I think he actually needed the longer break to recover and have a more slow built-up.

TRENDING THREADS