• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 450 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JTB losing time to Nawrath over the last lap and losing time to QFM in the last few hundred meters were not what you'd expect from him. And his shooting also let him down, so right now it definitely doesn't look like he'll be dominating these championships. Form is temporary, though.
JTB losing 1.5 seconds on the last lap is well within normal range. And he was 0.4 faster than QFM, who, like all the French, was very fast today. His shooting can be erratic on occasion, nothing new there either. And it hasn't looked all season as though he will be dominating these championships.

JTB losing 1.5 seconds on the last lap is well within normal range. And he was 0.4 faster than QFM, who, like all the French, was very fast today. His shooting can be erratic on occasion, nothing new there either. And it hasn't looked all season as though he will be dominating these championships.

I've definitely seen him pull back time in relays this season even when his shooting has been worse than his opponents.

I don't know if there were any waxing issues today, but the French men definitely had better skis than in Antholz.

The XC single start competitions tomorrow now turned into a mass start:

"Due to delayed delivery of timing equipment, the program for the COOP FIS CROSS COUNTRY WORLD CUP in Canmore (CAN) has to be adapted. The Interval Start on Friday, 9th February will be replaced with a 15km Mass Start in Free technique (4 x 3,75km). The starting times will remain the same."

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: Samu Cuenca and KZD
I've definitely seen him pull back time in relays this season even when his shooting has been worse than his opponents.

I don't know if there were any waxing issues today, but the French men definitely had better skis than in Antholz.
There were definitely waxing issues for pretty much everyone, given the unusual conditions and the fact that it was the first race at the location. The French certainly seem to have dealt with it best.

Even this season when he's been below his best (I assumed because he was planing to massively oeak) he should be nearly 2s km faster than Narwath and 3 than QFM.
It's not that simple, there are a number of factors involved, length of the lap, profile, conditions, etc.
The only useful comparison really is the first Mixed Relay of the season, where he was 6.1 seconds faster than Nawrath. That's a difference of 2.4 seconds.

Pretty telling how nobody here cares about the u23 xc mass start races...
I'm excited about the women's side, just hadn't gotten around to posting yet! Being from North America I am really pleased to see first year US Ski Team member Haley Brewster move up a level from her 10th last year to take a really nice silver, only 1.3 seconds out from gold. I'm very bullish on her; she seems really solid, doesn't let pressure ,get to her, hoping for big things. Also great to see Novi McCabe in 4th after a season of battling some health issues.

Wasnt able to watch live; anyone know if Bergane crashed or did she just really blow up the last 3k? I saw in the splits she was dropping off so guess the latter..

Also another great result from Liliane Gagnon of Canada, breakthrough year for her.

And of course congratulations to Marina Kaelin!

We now have new junior European champion in the individual who's from Mongolia of all places.
This is another part of why the Individual should be protected. It mightn't be the best TV spectacle but it throws out the most surprises and the most intrigue. Yes, the chances are Enkhbat will be no different from other junior talents from nations that are peripheral in the sport, and will bash his head against a development ceiling limited to the funding that the team are able to provide him - just like Rasmus Schiellerup, Chardine Sloof or Ukaleq Astri Slettemark - but interestingly while those three were all individuals competing in essentially a mom'n'pop effort, the Mongolians have sent a full team to the Junior Cup and IBU Cup for a couple of years now, so maybe it'll be more like Meng Fanqi winning the Junior Worlds Individual in 2019 or something, for comparison.

This is another part of why the Individual should be protected. It mightn't be the best TV spectacle but it throws out the most surprises and the most intrigue. Yes, the chances are Enkhbat will be no different from other junior talents from nations that are peripheral in the sport, and will bash his head against a development ceiling limited to the funding that the team are able to provide him - just like Rasmus Schiellerup, Chardine Sloof or Ukaleq Astri Slettemark - but interestingly while those three were all individuals competing in essentially a mom'n'pop effort, the Mongolians have sent a full team to the Junior Cup and IBU Cup for a couple of years now, so maybe it'll be more like Meng Fanqi winning the Junior Worlds Individual in 2019 or something, for comparison.

I think you mean Anders Schiellerup, as he was the brother who medaled the jr WC ;)

The individual should definitely stay around at all costs. Preferably in the original version, but if the biathletes rather want the short one then so be it.

Anna Andexer's winning margin of 3 minutes in the women's individual must be among the most dominant victories we've seen in any race for a while.

I think you mean Anders Schiellerup, as he was the brother who medaled the jr WC ;)

The individual should definitely stay around at all costs. Preferably in the original version, but if the biathletes rather want the short one then so be it.

Anna Andexer's winning margin of 3 minutes in the women's individual must be among the most dominant victories we've seen in any race for a while.
Anna Andexer is too good for the Junior Cup at this point, but isn't quite ready for the World Championships and needs the race miles ahead of the Junior Worlds. She decimated the field last week in the Junior Cup here and is even more dominant at the Junior Euros.

When the Junior Worlds come up we will see who of the junior-age talents above this level she has to compete with and we ought to get a more realistic view of her ceiling. I don't expect all of these to compete (and some that have been to the World Championships may compete but not be at their peak form for the Junior Worlds, as has been seen many times in the past) but she could be facing off against Jeanne Richard, Selina Grotian, Sara Andersson, Valentina Dimitrova, Julia Tannheimer, Maren Kirkeeide, Lena Repinc, Johanna Puff, Océane Michelon, Anaëlle Bondoux, Emily Schumann, Julia Kink, Gro Randby and Sara Scattolo, all of whom have a reasonable amount of World Cup points or are at or above Andexer's level on the IBU Cup, however obviously not all of them will compete and Andexer's IBU Cup results are not off a full calendar.

However I've probably not seen anybody so demonstrably above their level in biathlon (and being alone in that, so not like the Norwegian men whose overspill have been dominating the IBU Cup for a while) since Aleksandr Loginov came back from his suspension and Ricco Groß was trying to avoid poking the bear by putting him in the international team, so he was winning by this kind of distance at the Russian Christmas races to win an IBU Cup spot, then winning IBU Cup races almost as easily until the selectors' hand was forced. Maybe if they put Tannheimer in the youth field in Otepää, but I believe she's going in the juniors ahead of schedule, like they did with Neuner, Gößner, Dahlmeier, Preuß, Weidel and Riethmüller.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Anna Andexer is too good for the Junior Cup at this point, but isn't quite ready for the World Championships and needs the race miles ahead of the Junior Worlds. She decimated the field last week in the Junior Cup here and is even more dominant at the Junior Euros.

When the Junior Worlds come up we will see who of the junior-age talents above this level she has to compete with and we ought to get a more realistic view of her ceiling. I don't expect all of these to compete (and some that have been to the World Championships may compete but not be at their peak form for the Junior Worlds, as has been seen many times in the past) but she could be facing off against Jeanne Richard, Selina Grotian, Sara Andersson, Valentina Dimitrova, Julia Tannheimer, Maren Kirkeeide, Lena Repinc, Johanna Puff, Océane Michelon, Anaëlle Bondoux, Emily Schumann, Julia Kink, Gro Randby and Sara Scattolo, all of whom have a reasonable amount of World Cup points or are at or above Andexer's level on the IBU Cup, however obviously not all of them will compete and Andexer's IBU Cup results are not off a full calendar.

However I've probably not seen anybody so demonstrably above their level in biathlon (and being alone in that, so not like the Norwegian men whose overspill have been dominating the IBU Cup for a while) since Aleksandr Loginov came back from his suspension and Ricco Groß was trying to avoid poking the bear by putting him in the international team, so he was winning by this kind of distance at the Russian Christmas races to win an IBU Cup spot, then winning IBU Cup races almost as easily until the selectors' hand was forced. Maybe if they put Tannheimer in the youth field in Otepää, but I believe she's going in the juniors ahead of schedule, like they did with Neuner, Gößner, Dahlmeier, Preuß, Weidel and Riethmüller.

We also have to take in consideration the level of competition, but yes, a big gap is a big gap.

We also have to take in consideration the level of competition, but yes, a big gap is a big gap.
But that's what I mean by being above this level. Andexer is clearly good enough to be on the IBU Cup at least by now. She was 6th, 2nd and 4th in three IBU Cup individual races across Martello and Ridnaun, and the was 13th and 9th in the sprint and pursuit at the European Championships. She has, however, not raced that much at that level because of starting out the season on the Junior Cup and I think the Austrians want to win it overall with her, or they feel she needs more races to keep shape ahead of the Junior Worlds. Quite likely if there was an IBU Cup weekend this weekend she'd have been there instead, as it would be more suited to her development, she has nothing to prove at the Junior Cup level anymore.

She's gone 1-13-1-1-1-1-1 in Junior fields this season and the gaps are getting bigger, from 15-30 seconds in December to 1'30 last week in the sprints. Her contemporaries she should be being judged against are the likes of Andersson and Grotian (in the World Cup), Kirkeeide (splitting time between the World Cup and IBU Cup) and Bondoux (on the IBU Cup).

Italian media still haven't reported anything, so fingers crossed.
Cramer confirms it in this article:

Early in Thursday’s training session, an up and coming Italian sprinter, Simone Mocellini, crashed on a notoriously challenging corner, flew over some protective fencing and “fell five meters down out of the track,” said Markus Cramer, his team’s coach.

Mocellini had just returned to the World Cup last month from a hand injury that kept him out of early season races. He left the venue in an ambulance and, Cramer added, has a “very complicated broken leg.”
Poor guy, hope he can come back to his best next season.

• Sad
Reactions: dobrien and KZD
Gold for Swedish Crussell on 10k classic ahead of Del Rio and Sand.
De Pinter started fast on the first lap but faded steadily and finished 7th, almost a minute down.
Her full last name is De Martin Pinter (with half the village being called De Martin longer double last names emerged to distinguish between the variozs families).
Yeah, without her starting too fast a 4th place would have been totally doable. 3rd, I don't know, the gap is rather big, almost 30 sec.
If anything the fall in the sprint final cost her a medal, silver or bronze would have been in the cards for her.