• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 451 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In the mens race Myhlback completely crushed the opponents. He went without kickwax and double poled the whole way. With his training regime leaning towards Ski Classics the last two years it's no surprise he's flying around this course when there are no technique zones.

Great win, but it probably doesn't say much about his actual level in a real classic race.

Grahn and Danielsson did also go without kick wax and probably benefited greatly as they are very bad a diagonal stride. All the Swedish men now looks similar, rather tall, good technique at double pooling and V2 skate, sprinters with bad Vo2 and not good technique in other areas. Myhlback has good endurance though.

Reactions: Mayomaniac
In the mens race Myhlback completely crushed the opponents. He went without kickwax and double poled the whole way. With his training regime leaning towards Ski Classics the last two years it's no surprise he's flying around this course when there are no technique zones.

Great win, but it probably doesn't say much about his actual level in a real classic race.
Wait, there are no technique zones?
Ok, that explains some of the gaps.

There was one technique zone. Myhlback said he tried to be very careful there.

Fun fast about Grahn is two years ago he was only known for always skiing without kick wax and in atleast half the races he was DQed for skating.
Yes, there was one - my bad.
I havent seen a map on it, so I dont know where it was in the course, but it must have been a pretty short one.
If it had been a World Cup race I think they wouldve put a long tech zone leading up to the TV-point (1,85km) as well. They tend to put more and longer zones in WC.

Perhaps wonderboy Myhlback should focus more on racing against his peers rather than grinding himself with marathons…

I think the home Olympics are coming 4 years too early for the athletes we saw today. Very few skiers are able to reach the needed level at 22. Looking at the two men who medaled today, they are far behind Nordhagen and Nordhagen still isn't quite there with Krueger etc, so they have a big gap to close in only 2 years. 2030 however should be great for these guys if they can continue to develope.

The main problem in my eyes is his over the top focus on double poling during the summer/autumn on roller skies, not whether he actually races traditional or ski classics. With last season full focus on Ski Classics as well it seems to me that he's developed very well physically, but is nowhere near the same technical level as a guy like Nordhagen (or the average top 20 WC-skier). He probably shouldve swapped a lot of the 3-4-5 hours long trainings double poling along the country roads with skating in technical roller ski tracks.
LOL

You were saying? 😂

If I had said "lol he cant even do good in double poling" you would have had a point. If you actually read my post you would see that there is nothing in there that would suggest I doubt he could do something like today double poling.
Hahahaha

So dumb.

He is 17 and he is one of the most talented ones out there.

Just be quiet and don’t post stupid takes or be prepared to be made fun off. 😂

Yes, there was one - my bad.
I havent seen a map on it, so I dont know where it was in the course, but it must have been a pretty short one.
If it had been a World Cup race I think they wouldve put a long tech zone leading up to the TV-point (1,85km) as well. They tend to put more and longer zones in WC.
Yes, that was the only long climb I think (even if it’s only half compared to last year) so it would have made sense to have a tech zone there.

Hahahaha

So dumb.

He is 17 and he is one of the most talented ones out there.

Just be quiet and don’t post stupid takes or be prepared to be made fun off. 😂
You are either not able to read or you are just trolling, but let me try to explain it to you.

I've never said anything that he isn't extremely talented. I've never said anything that he isn't very good. I said I think his focus on "Ski Classics training" is (in my opinion) bad in the long run when it comes to traditional skiing, and especially when it comes to skating technique.
If you have actually watched him race skating races this year and you know just a little bit about basic skiing technique you would say it's a stupid take. What he did today has absolutely no relevance to the specific criticism I wrote after the skate race that you quoted.

I'm pretty sure he's physically the best junior even if he's only 17 when it comes to combination of Vo2 and strength. The race today was very strong, but also no surprise given he's been top 10 in Vasaloppet and Marcialonga. If it was a World Cup race on this course today with these conditions and the same limited tech zones I think he would do extremely well. Maybe close to a top 10. In a skating race or a classic race where double poling without kick wax he's not shown anything similar to this level.

What does that mean?
It means he's extremely much better at double poling on blank skis than he is in diagonal stride or in skating generally. Which makes totally sense based on how he's been training the last couple of years. But you dont win World Championship medals or Olympics medals on blank skis in classic.

I've never said he can't develop his technique in skating/diagonal in the future, but he has a big job to do.

Reactions: kingjr
You are either not able to read or you are just trolling, but let me try to explain it to you.

I've never said anything that he isn't extremely talented. I've never said anything that he isn't very good. I said I think his focus on "Ski Classics training" is (in my opinion) bad in the long run when it comes to traditional skiing, and especially when it comes to skating technique.
If you have actually watched him race skating races this year and you know just a little bit about basic skiing technique you would say it's a stupid take. What he did today has absolutely no relevance to the specific criticism I wrote after the skate race that you quoted.

I'm pretty sure he's physically the best junior even if he's only 17 when it comes to combination of Vo2 and strength. The race today was very strong, but also no surprise given he's been top 10 in Vasaloppet and Marcialonga. If it was a World Cup race on this course today with these conditions and the same limited tech zones I think he would do extremely well. Maybe close to a top 10. In a skating race or a classic race where double poling without kick wax he's not shown anything similar to this level.

What does that mean?
It means he's extremely much better at double poling on blank skis than he is in diagonal stride or in skating generally. Which makes totally sense based on how he's been training the last couple of years. But you dont win World Championship medals or Olympics medals on blank skis in classic.

I've never said he can't develop his technique in skating/diagonal in the future, but he has a big job to do.
You were wrong and I thought it was funny.

Stop taking it so seriously. Didnt read any of this.

Lol.

Gonna keep laughing at this and the other post I quoted, which was the only one I responded to in the first place. 😂

You were wrong and I thought it was funny.

Stop taking it so seriously. Didnt read any of this.

Lol.

Gonna keep laughing at this and the other post I quoted, which was the only one I responded to in the first place. 😂
When you don't even want to read, what the F is the point about commenting?

You are taking things completely out of context just to try to make fun of me even if what I actually said isn't connected to what you think I've been saying.

What you are doing now is equivalent to making fun of someone saying Remco has a lot of work to do to win the Tour de France and then you point to Remco winning Liege-Bastogne-Liege and say the guy is wrong...

The post you quoted was after the skating race.
Point to me which of these 4 things (the first half of the post you quoted me on is about Italian skiers, not about Myhlback) you've quoted me is wrong:
1. The main problem in my eyes is his over the top focus on double poling during the summer/autumn on roller skies, not whether he actually races traditional or ski classics.
2. With last season full focus on Ski Classics as well it seems to me that he's developed very well physically,
3. but is nowhere near the same technical level as a guy like Nordhagen (or the average top 20 WC-skier).
4. He probably shouldve swapped a lot of the 3-4-5 hours long trainings double poling along the country roads with skating in technical roller ski tracks.

Reactions: sworks and OJRvE
When you don't even want to read, what the F is the point about commenting?

You are taking things completely out of context just to try to make fun of me even if what I actually said isn't connected to what you think I've been saying.

What you are doing now is equivalent to making fun of someone saying Remco has a lot of work to do to win the Tour de France and then you point to Remco winning Liege-Bastogne-Liege and say the guy is wrong...

The post you quoted was after the skating race.
Point to me which of these 4 things (the first half of the post you quoted me on is about Italian skiers, not about Myhlback) you've quoted me is wrong:
1. The main problem in my eyes is his over the top focus on double poling during the summer/autumn on roller skies, not whether he actually races traditional or ski classics.
2. With last season full focus on Ski Classics as well it seems to me that he's developed very well physically,
3. but is nowhere near the same technical level as a guy like Nordhagen (or the average top 20 WC-skier).
4. He probably shouldve swapped a lot of the 3-4-5 hours long trainings double poling along the country roads with skating in technical roller ski tracks.

You were wrong from when you quoted me, when I was responding to another poster.

Yall both were wrong.

Funny to me.

Don’t care about more than that. Didnt read what you have to say again. Because I truly don’t care.

I hope Myhlback and his handlers won't draw the wrong conclusions from today's race. Heavy ski classics training is clearly not the way to develop a talent into a well rounded skier...

Ghio and Matli would have been much more competitive, even if Matli isn't in the kind of shape that he was last year, when he demolished Naeff in classic individual starts.

You were wrong from when you quoted me, when I was responding to another poster.
I'm only "wrong" because you take what I said completely out of context and use something not related to what I wrote as proof.

It's about as fair discussion as me removing two words from your post in the Colombia thread and use it to laugh at you:
troll2.png

hahahahahahahahaahahah you think Sevilla was better than Valverde loooooool im laughing. I didnt even bother to read the full sentence, looool you are wroooooooooooong.

Nordic combined mass start and Riiber wins convincingly, not much point jumping now.
They really ought to make this format individual start when they do the ski first, or maybe do some races in Classic or something. I know FIS will be all "but it's better for audiences to have a mass start" but, come on, it's not like NoCo is getting big viewing figures and anything that might vary things on the results sheet is going to be good because it will entice people to actually tune in, which by and large they aren't doing at the moment.

As for the XC, If they don't make the 20k classic an individual start to replace the lost individual start here, then this is a completely pathetic excuse for a North American leg of the tour. THREE sprints, two mass starts and one - 10km - individual start. Almost all in freestyle. They may as well just award Klæbo and Diggins the crystal globes now and make a participation trophy for anybody that is stronger in distance to laugh at them as they product mass start routes easy enough for bunch sprints to reach the finish in the pack and we get to see people like Linn Svahn and Eirik Valnes winning the longest races on the calendar once Holmenkollen is sent the way of the dodo.

”at altitude” which you took out from that. And it is a joke lol.

You’re really upset! 😂😂😂

Made it even more funny.
Of course I'm annoyed. Because you are being dishonest.
You are basically claiming I've said things I haven't said and you use it to make fun of me. And then you are being extremely disrespectful when I'm trying to explain it and you are just saying you didnt bother to read it.

Reactions: kingjr
They really ought to make this format individual start when they do the ski first, or maybe do some races in Classic or something. I know FIS will be all "but it's better for audiences to have a mass start" but, come on, it's not like NoCo is getting big viewing figures and anything that might vary things on the results sheet is going to be good because it will entice people to actually tune in, which by and large they aren't doing at the moment.
The live crowds are absolutely dire today. There's literally nobody in the stands.