• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Preuß handed over 2'57 back. The rest of the team lost just 44" and would have been in the top 5 had they been up near the front after 1 leg. But there's not a lot you can do about it. Preuß has been pretty overawed by the occasion here in Sochi and has been ill, and clearly panicked with the snow in the sights. Hopefully she can bounce back, but I wouldn't say that Hildebrand, Dahlmeier or Henkel were especially bad looking at the screen; yes they were off their pace, but there was no way a medal was possible and motivation may have been lacking when all they're racing for is pride.

Brunet is the story of the race though. Collapsing like that has got to be a concern and something is clearly very wrong with her because she has been so far from competitive here that it's clear she's not fully healthy even before we see her collapse on the snow. That was quite scary.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Brunet is the story of the race though. Collapsing like that has got to be a concern and something is clearly very wrong with her because she has been so far from competitive here that it's clear she's not fully healthy even before we see her collapse on the snow. That was quite scary.
the german commentator said she already had to throw up right before the start. Makes you wonder why she was allowed to start at all...
 
Ever see "Rush"? James Hunt used to throw up before races regularly.

A lot of nerves and tension can do that to you. Maybe it was mistaken as a, if not normal then not shockingly strange, nervous reaction before an Olympic event at the end of two tough weeks, but was in fact something more as we found out.
 
May 5, 2011
5,806
0
0
tomorrow the norwegians will dominate in the womens 30km and the mens biathlon relay, before on Sunday we finally get the snoozefest that is the 48km before Legkov goes with 2 km to go and wins his Olympic gold
 
Sep 25, 2009
6,983
0
0
the norwegian girls *should* dominate...

but given that kalla, justyna and the finns who upset the order in skating will have their own opinion, i don't expect the norwegian sweep. besides, as is characteristic of women races, the peloton will be broken early on with the norwegian equal or outnumbered in the breakaway group. therese trying to drop everyone, possibly tiring herself and bjoergen...happened before...

---
edit :after 15 k it is over. ..eating my hat :)
 
What a good race. A real shame that the Germans couldn't do it, but still a silver is superb after the Games they've had. Lesser rock solid, Böhm reliable, Peiffer strong and Schempp kept the nerves calm at the end there. Very nice performance, but the Russians have just got a stronger quartet, even bearing in mind Volkov on leg 1 (who the Russian coaches said had not been in the form to merit further performances at Sochi!). Shipulin's just got that killer instinct that lets him turn good results into great ones. Did NOT expect Emil in the penalty loop.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
What a good race. A real shame that the Germans couldn't do it, but still a silver is superb after the Games they've had. Lesser rock solid, Böhm reliable, Peiffer strong and Schempp kept the nerves calm at the end there. Very nice performance, but the Russians have just got a stronger quartet, even bearing in mind Volkov on leg 1 (who the Russian coaches said had not been in the form to merit further performances at Sochi!). Shipulin's just got that killer instinct that lets him turn good results into great ones. Did NOT expect Emil in the penalty loop.
Big disappointment for the norwegians - this was the one gold medal they were almost automatically appointed to. Bjørndalens skiing was totally off today - he lost to time to mediocre skiers in the tracks. Very very weird loop by him, but not disastrous. Nevertheless, Svendsen kinda owns Bjørndalen a medal now after another very weird performance. Overall a weird but exciting relay.
 
Cance > TheRest said:
Big disappointment for the norwegians - this was the one gold medal they were almost automatically appointed to. Bjørndalens skiing was totally off today - he lost to time to mediocre skiers in the tracks. Very very weird loop by him, but not disastrous. Nevertheless, Svendsen kinda owns Bjørndalen a medal now after another very weird performance. Overall a weird but exciting relay.
The Bø brothers haven't had a great Olympics though Johannes was excellent today. Bjørndalen lost most of his time on the final loop, and even then the main beneficiary was Arnd Peiffer, who is a former World Champion who is at last showing some signs of life in the last few weeks after a poor couple of seasons. I don't think the gold was theirs for the taking unopposed, not as I might have done pre-Olympics before we saw the problems the Bøs have had etc..
 
Cance > TheRest said:
Big disappointment for the norwegians - this was the one gold medal they were almost automatically appointed to. Bjørndalens skiing was totally off today - he lost to time to mediocre skiers in the tracks. Very very weird loop by him, but not disastrous. Nevertheless, Svendsen kinda owns Bjørndalen a medal now after another very weird performance. Overall a weird but exciting relay.
Svendsen kinda evened the score after rescuing the team after Bjorndalen let them down in 2012.
 
search said:
what are the expectations for tomorrow? Do you think Cologna can fight for his 3rd gold medal or isn't he up for 50k freestyle yet?[/QUOT

Surely he is one of the favs.However, he might be a bit tired already. Therefore i think Legkov, Södergren and Dürr are the top favorites.
 
Sep 25, 2009
6,983
0
0
the quin race on the last day. can't wait for the start :)

the favorites ?

they've been named - cologna, legkov, sundby, perhaps vyleg and northug...

i am saddened hellner wont be there. if he raced the 50 with his team relay form, it would be a guaranteed podium.

a dangerous dark horse is chernusov. he almost did not race in the olympics and is fresh as a daisy.

how will norges perform ? solidly, as usual. but i do not see them doing much better than in the skiathlon. i also feel that cologna may have passed the sweet spot in his form...i saw dents, when i analysed his splits in the team sprints with his bro. plus, he tends to be slightly less successful in the 50 than in shorter races.

many coaches spoke of difficulty recovering and the ease of accumulating fatigue in sochi after hard past races. THAT may drag those who already raced 3-4 times. northug and cologna are among those...
 
Sep 25, 2009
6,983
0
0
looks like heikkinen is not going anywhere...the funny thing is, legkov and sundby ski as if they are on the same team alternatively taking the front .
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS